i just wanted to ask all you bass experts what bass should i get for the music i play. i like to play death metal, metalcore and deathcore. so i wanted to know should i get a 5 or 6 string bass? and whats a good one for 300 or under (by schecter or ibanez)? thanks
Get the five string.
Not only because of your 300 dollar budget, but because the only environment I use the C string on a 6 string bass is in a jazz setting if I'm soloing, and sometimes walking.
I think the most affordable quality 5 string bass is the Ibanez GSR205. I've had mine for three years and its an amazing bass for the price.
http://www.samash.com/p/GSR205%205%20String%20Bass%20Assorted%20Colors_184282
Ibanez also makes a special hard case for that body shape for about $125, fits snug and doesn't move around an inch.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Try out 5er and 6ers. Whatever is most comfortable for you, go for it. There's no other way to work it out.

No offence to Dwardom, but using analogies like "Get the five string.
Not only because of your 300 dollar budget, but because the only environment I use the C string on a 6 string bass is in a jazz setting if I'm soloing, and sometimes walking." is pretty redundant as different players have different styles and while he may not find a use for the high C as of yet, that doesn't mean he won't. Or the TS's playing style may favour a high C being there. Telling him to get a 5 string because of a limitation personal to yourself is a little silly.
Quote by commander574
i just wanted to ask all you bass experts what bass should i get for the music i play. i like to play death metal, metalcore and deathcore. so i wanted to know should i get a 5 or 6 string bass? and whats a good one for 300 or under (by schecter or ibanez)? thanks

Is that dollars or pounds or what? I doubt you can find a decent 6 string fro <$300.
I use a 6er and use the 6th string frequently. I play metal as well, and my ESP is a great bass. A little out of your price range at 440$, if you can get it is a great bass.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Try out 5er and 6ers. Whatever is most comfortable for you, go for it. There's no other way to work it out.

No offence to Dwardom, but using analogies like "Get the five string.
Not only because of your 300 dollar budget, but because the only environment I use the C string on a 6 string bass is in a jazz setting if I'm soloing, and sometimes walking." is pretty redundant as different players have different styles and while he may not find a use for the high C as of yet, that doesn't mean he won't. Or the TS's playing style may favour a high C being there. Telling him to get a 5 string because of a limitation personal to yourself is a little silly.

Alright, so I done goofed
But cheers to the Ibanez GSR205 right?
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by commander574
i found this 6 string and it seems pretty good and in my price range. what do you think?
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Gio-GSR206-6String-Bass-Guitar?sku=501620

I'm not a big fan of Ibanez 6 strings. The necks get really wide near the body. I would just save up some more money to get an ESP 206 if you're really looking for a 6 string. But you'll probably end up not needing the high C.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
yeah true. so im thinking 5 string would be best. ibanez gsr205 sounds good. i saw one like it..the "fm" version?
Honestly, I'd go with this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR205EX-Gio-GSR-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=423065

You can get a nice thick tone out of it with those pick ups.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
I find a 5 pointless, i would prefer to have a 4 string or a 6 string. 5 strings for me doesnt add enough.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
would just be more of a challenge to play with the extra 6th string when you woulndt really use it?
Why wouldnt he use it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Depends what you're playing. If you're planning on playing solo's or whatever, go for the 6. I used mine in my death metal band, had solo's and did some harmonized sweeps and stuff with the guitarist, was happy I had my high C.
Then again you can take sweet solos with a 5...

Bottom line, play both. It's a subjective decision.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
I want a 6er and barely ever play sol's. Simply because i can move around in the one position and get higher notes without having to run up the fretboard. And for chords.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I find a 6 string AMAZINGLY USEFUL in any 3 piece band. the higher string makes chording so much easier and it opens up worlds of new ideas for me. but thats me. I know a guy who picked up my 6 tring and went "thats a handy little tug bar you got there" in reference to my high C. If you think you'll use it get it. If not don't.
no sir away a papaya war is on