I seen this thing at a store called Pro Tools. I know about the program, but this one came with a black box and it sounds like the it is saying you can plug your guitar into it and play and it will record. Then you choose effects and amps and settings on the program. Anyone know about this? I cant find anything online about the actual recording BOX?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
the pro tools box is the interface that allows you to use the software.
you can plug your guitar into it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Does it sound real?? or is it kind of artificial like Guitar Pro?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
pro tools is pretty good.

Well if my guitar is plugged directly into something, it would obviously sound "clean". Rather than a loose microphone...you obviously would not get any bad sound that a microphone might give you.

But what my concern is it that by playing and then using amp presets generated from a computer...it might sound "artificial". Does it??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
i mean it sounds like simulator. its going to depend on what vsts u use and how powerful ur computer is.

pro tools is what pretty much all professionals are using these days.

imo its the best out there, shits all over logic and ableton etc.

It sounds nothing like artificial, but as always wont ever be the same as micing up a cab.

i use pro tools LE and an mbox, my friend uses the big rackmount version with the PRO pro tools and i cant honestly see a difference, especially for the price gap.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i mean it sounds like simulator. its going to depend on what vsts u use and how powerful ur computer is.
Can you please give me simple answers man. I dont know what any of this stuff your referring to even is. Why would a powerful computer mean better SOUND? What do I need?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Can you please give me simple answers man. I dont know what any of this stuff your referring to even is. Why would a powerful computer mean better SOUND? What do I need?

read what i said dude

the power of your computer will affect, the buffer rate and sample rate, therefore reducing latency and giving you a truer representation of the original sound.

the program comes with 2 different amp plugins, the sans amp PSA, and the Eleven Free, these two amps are pretty good considering theyre stock plugins, personally the sans amp is way better, has artist eq pre-sets etc

i cant stress enough that it WONT sound artificial, the M-Box is basically a big DI box
So, I found out what the box is. It is the M-Audio Fast Track
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
yes I know. That's box for pro tools le. It's a lower grade version of pro tools. Pretty much the same stuff but just less of it and less options.

What do you want me to tell you. I answered your question but you're not at the point where the answers are useful to you.

How about this. Tell me what you want to use it for.

Quote by shredtil'yadead
read what i said dude

the power of your computer will affect, the buffer rate and sample rate, therefore reducing latency and giving you a truer representation of the original sound.

the program comes with 2 different amp plugins, the sans amp PSA, and the Eleven Free, these two amps are pretty good considering theyre stock plugins, personally the sans amp is way better, has artist eq pre-sets etc

i cant stress enough that it WONT sound artificial, the M-Box is basically a big DI box

I will give you a list of words that you used in this small post that I do not know the definition of, or do know know what the item is:

Buffer rate.
Sample rate.
Latency
Plug-ins (although I am pretty sure I know what this means..."
Di box.

mmk?

Now even though I admit to not knowing what this stuff is, I will re-phrase it and tell you what I THINK it means and you tell me if I am right, k?

If I have a slow computer, the recording will be buffering and sound all choppy. Yes??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by AcousticMirror
yes I know. That's box for pro tools le. It's a lower grade version of pro tools. Pretty much the same stuff but just less of it and less options.

What do you want me to tell you. I answered your question but you're not at the point where the answers are useful to you.

How about this. Tell me what you want to use it for.

OK. I am trying to make professional sounding songs. I understand it will not sound like a song from my favourite band and have the most professional sound quality. But I would like to get as close to it as possible. Will this do the trick? Will my guitar sound atleast somewhat close to being professionally recorded?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Alright. You don't want to bother with having an amp and mic-ing it ya?

well alright.

This is the axe-fx. http://www.fractalaudio.com/ This is kind of the hot shit defacto standard for amp modeling. It's basically a computer with a special operating system that's dedicated to making guitar sounds.

That is not what Pro-Tools is. Pro - tools is recording software. the box is an a/d converter, line input that either boosts or buffers your signal so that it can be converted into a wav or aiff file to be used by the recording software. It merely captures the very very quiet signal from your guitar and writes it into your computer.

Once you have that signal you can do whatever you want with it. A guitar modeling plug-in is one thing that you can do with it. That means that pro tools isn't designed specifically for guitar sounds but it does that as part of it's standard features. However, not all guitar modeling plugins are equal. Some sound bette then others. The stock ones that come with pro tools le are not the best ones by far.

That takes care of the software side.

On the hardware side there are two issues. One is the interface box. The LE box is not the best box that digidesign makes. the LE box is a budget box for them. That means it does not have the lowest latency, best preamp, best converters. For that you'll need something like this http://www.avid.com/US/products/96-IO

Then you'll want to purchase plug-in packages to make sure you have the most options for emulation. So something like this. http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=288865113820032 or http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do?product=288865113937072

Finally, how fast your computer is has everything to do with how well it's going to sound. If you're just recording and mastering non-live then your computer speed will affect how fast things process, how much error correction you can employ, and how fast and accurately the source can be capture. If you are using this live, then the computer also needs to be processing while it's converting.

Can this sound as good as your favorite recordings. Yup. Can you get there with an average computer and the stock protools le. No.

Is it cost effective if you just want to record guitar and nothing else? No.

In that kind of limited application something like a line 6 pod will be much more cost effective.

ProTools is NOT an amp simulator. Its a recording program, and it comes with a few amp simulators, which are crap. If you want professional sounding songs you'll wont get it just by buying ProTools, the people who record, mix and master professional sounding songs have years of experience.

And no offense Min, but I dont think you should be giving advice on this. A 96I/O would be completely useless and extreme overkill for what TS wants. First off, it hasnt got preamps built in, its just A/D converters, so he'd need an external preamp to work with it, its also not compatible with LE, you NEED a HD system to use the 96I/O's, which will end up costing thousands. LE is just the light edition of ProTools, less tracks available, lower quality and less features, but its still a semi-pro system and you can make great recordings with it. There are a few different interfaces that you can use with LE, from the MBoxes (good for beginning) to 003's (semi pro stuff), and then M-Audio interfaces if you have ProTools M-Powered.

TS, if you want good sounding recordings, the main thing is having something good to record (ampwise) Without a decent amp or amp sim you wont get good sounding recordings. If you get the MBox/M-Audio interface or whatever it is you're looking at, there are some incredibly good free amp sim VST's you can get that you should be able to get some great tones from.
Also, you should really ask this in the Recording & Riffs section, the guys there will be able to help you.
Quote by littlephil
ProTools is NOT an amp simulator. Its a recording program, and it comes with a few amp simulators, which are crap. If you want professional sounding songs you'll wont get it just by buying ProTools, the people who record, mix and master professional sounding songs have years of experience.

Not to mention the endless plug-ins there are to buy But yeah, it's far from a amp simulator.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by littlephil

And no offense Min, but I dont think you should be giving advice on this. A 96I/O would be completely useless and extreme overkill for what TS wants. First off, it hasnt got preamps built in, its just A/D converters, so he'd need an external preamp to work with it, its also not compatible with LE, you NEED a HD system to use the 96I/O's, which will end up costing thousands. LE is just the light edition of ProTools, less tracks available, lower quality and less features, but its still a semi-pro system and you can make great recordings with it. There are a few different interfaces that you can use with LE, from the MBoxes (good for beginning) to 003's (semi pro stuff), and then M-Audio interfaces if you have ProTools M-Powered.

TS, if you want good sounding recordings, the main thing is having something good to record (ampwise) Without a decent amp or amp sim you wont get good sounding recordings. If you get the MBox/M-Audio interface or whatever it is you're looking at, there are some incredibly good free amp sim VST's you can get that you should be able to get some great tones from.
Also, you should really ask this in the Recording & Riffs section, the guys there will be able to help you.

I knows, if you read what I wrote I said that it's way overkill since protools does a bunch of stuff not guitar related. I was trying to say that the axe fx is cheaper then a complete pro-level protools rig and does the one guitar thing way better. My post was long and rambly though so no worrrrrrrrrries.

How sure are you on what that M-audio fast track thing is? Ive been researching since I posted the first thread and that is what I have learned is that it is a way to record. There is a video on Youtube of Steve Vai using it to record. There is a video of 2 guys discussing ways to record, and they mention it...what exactly are you saying its purpose is?? You said:

"the box is an a/d converter, line input that either boosts or buffers your signal so that it can be converted into a wav or aiff file to be used by the recording software. It merely captures the very very quiet signal from your guitar and writes it into your computer."

ok...but who would use it? In what scenario would you use this thing in? I dont get what you are saying...

You said:

"Can you get there with an average computer and the stock protools le. No. "

But I CAN get there with the box and better guitar sounds through better plug-ins?

You mentioned the Line 6. A friend of mine has one and told me that it is exactly what I was describing this m-audio box to be. (He didnt say anything about the box...but what I THINK the m-audio box is...he has the Line 6 and uses it to record...the same way I thought you could through this box.)

I have no problem using a mic...I just know that it is very hard to get a great sound out of it...I am in a very small room...with furniture...it wont record with very good sound will it?

Why dont you just tell me the best way to record at an affordable price...lets say under $300...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Recordings & Riffs (44 Viewing)
Discuss recording techniques, your awesome solo on guitar or a groovy bassline! Subforums: Tabs | Original Recordings | Cover

Theres the description for "recording and riffs"...I couldnt find a suitable section.

I still dont get alot of what you guys are saying. Just tell me what the best way to record would be for my price range. If this box does what I have been saying I think it does, then that is all I am worried about...I can get the best plug-ins somewhere. I just want to know if this box does what Ive been saying. You plug your guitar into it, then the box into the computer...then you play and it records. Yes?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
under 300. grab the line six pod.

wow...I just read up on it and heard it...sounds great. That what I was looking for.

Any comments on it?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
it does that thing you need it to do.

Personal opinion on it? I can already tell it doesnt sound as good as an amp, but...meh. Personal thoughts?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
read this months guitarist magazine theres a 5 page section in there dedicated to how to record at home, and what equipment you need, they even map out a budget for you at low, medium and highend.
http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/recording-guitar-on-computer-259392

yaaaay I found it for you because I'm gonna read it to.

well hang on that's not that guitar specific.

the pod is a better bet. the other options are full recording workstations which is more then you need.

this looked interesting though. cakewalk is a good company

http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/recording-guitar-on-computer-259392

even more edits: that seems to be a different article then the one ig was talking about.

. I can't get guitarist in america. .

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 21, 2010,
the cover shot in the top right of the screen is the same.....and they do sell in america, or atleast they offer USA subscriptions
110 for a year subscription. .

Quote by AcousticMirror
110 for a year subscription. .

If you stopped buying every god dam n amp on this planet maybe you could afford that 110 dollars a year.
but why in the world would I pay 110 for a magazine subscription. I can't even force myself to do that. It's only like 10 pounds a year in the UK.

^lol it`s £5.50 a month, and theres a promo code for north america that`ll save you 40% PM me if interested (not advertising) and i`ll give you the promo code...

anyway back on topic........
Quote by 365_days_gone
Recordings & Riffs (44 Viewing)
Discuss recording techniques, your awesome solo on guitar or a groovy bassline! Subforums: Tabs | Original Recordings | Cover

Theres the description for "recording and riffs"...I couldnt find a suitable section.

you just posted the suitable section, how could you not find it?

just to sum things up:

that box lets you connect your guitar to your computer.
protools lets you record the signal from your guitar onto your computer.
this will sound bad because there is no amp or amp simulation involved here.

the fast track is basicly a way to convert your guitar signal to digital information. it does more than that, but thats what you need to know.
protools is a fancy program to capture that digital information and store it in a way that is easy to use. it does a lot more stuff that is probably way over your head.

basicly, but the pod studio gx, this. it allows you to connect to your computer and play into that program. gives you good sounds and shouldnt be overly complex.

i had a longer post that was more insulting and way more informative. browser crashed so i lost it and i dont feel like re-typing.
Ya Im just gonna get the POD Studio Ux1.

I read that you can connect a cable through the line in and run it to your amp, so the amps and stuff selected on the POD Farm program will play through your amp. True??

Also, if I dont do that and connect through my amp, where does the sound come from? My computer speakers?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there