Alright, this may seem like a ridiculously stupid question.

Actually, it definitely will.

Anyways. I just bought a Gretsch Electromatic Double Cutaway. I'm in love with the thing, and the Bigsby whammy bar adds a certain amount of refinement to an already badass instrument. But, one question, should it bend backwards? I can push down with the thing, much like the Fender one, but I can also pull it up, not to the same degree, but I can increase in the pitch, is this going to damage he machine in any way?

Like I said, stupid question.
It's meant to do that.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
When this happens it's like replying to one of them 'no reply emails'. 2012 is going to come a lot sooner now because of it!!!
It is a floating tremolo. It means there is an ancient Japanese soul trapped, floating inside your guitar, and by pulling up on the bar you are aggravating it. I won't tell you what will happen, but I will give you some advice:

Do not change your underwear for at least a month. Also, taking large shits in your pants will help.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
It is a floating tremolo. It means there is an ancient Japanese soul trapped, floating inside your guitar, and by pulling up on the bar you are aggravating it. I won't tell you what will happen, but I will give you some advice:

Do not change your underwear for at least a month. Also, taking large shits in your pants will help.

By angering this what I explained earlier will happen. Touching yourself is not advised during this time but make sure you pleasure the tremolo bar (stick it in weird places) to please this Japanese soul. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH IT. So I guess for now you are going to have to whammy without the whammy bar.
I have the same guitar, except it only has one cutaway, as far as i know, its meant to do that, but don't do it too often as it can break a string, and if you pull it up too far the spring falls out and its a pain to get it back in.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by BuckinFuffalo
By angering this what I explained earlier will happen. Touching yourself is not advised during this time but make sure you pleasure the tremolo bar (stick it in weird places) to please this Japanese soul. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH IT. So I guess for now you are going to have to whammy without the whammy bar.

Basically just stick the Bigsby up your arse.

Is it just me or does the word Bigsby sound like something that should go up your rear?
Quote by Hornets54
That was a mixed reception. But I got an answer so it's cool.

Yeah there is nothing wrong with your guitar, just don't abuse the whammy how you would abuse a floyd rose.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
to avoid any problems, just whammy without the whammy bar. you don't see slash or buckethead, yeah the guy with a chucky mask and a KFC box on his head, using whammy bars. so why should you?
#DTWD
Dude whammy bars cost like an extra $20 dollars on your guitar why did you buy that if slash and buckethead don't use them?

Just pick a low fret. Like 12.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab