HI. I am aware that it takes years to master guitar really well. But what i want to know is the facts around improving.

Basically, here's my routine for guitar:

I play everyday, for a minimum of an hour, but normally breach well over 4 hours a day, and quite regualrly end up playing in sections all thorughout the day.

I occasionally learn a new song, and the songs im learning are getting ever so slightly more complex. The most complex song i can play fully at the moment is "Mr Killjoy" by Lordi (Most of it's dead easy, but the solos the main focus when i say complex)

I learn new riffs from songs and technique sites etc whenever i can, and try and master them

I do some random improv around particular scales, and try and remember the areas of the scale on the whole neck.

I have attmepts at songwriting. This is the step i ALWAYS fail at. I can improv in a half-decent manner, but when it comes to actually writitng something up, i either cant do it, or am not satisfied with what i write.

Now, ive played for 2 years nearly. I know a few people who have claimed to have jsut "Naturally gotten to the stage they're at". I was jsut wondering if the processes i do will start to blossom as the next few years go along. I jsut want to get to a stage where i can finally get that first song that i love that i wrote, and get even better atguitar and songwriting

Thanks
Quote by dragozan
I jsut want to get to a stage where i can finally get that first song that i love that i wrote, and get even better atguitar and songwriting

You don't need great technique to do that. You need great sound.
if you want a SONG that you're proud of and love, lyrics and flow are the most important things in my opinion.
your either cut out to write songs or your not. If you arent you should just focus on writing your own stuff more and not on doing covers so much. just randomly play whatever pops into your head and if you like it record it or write it down then add on to it. Also if you arent good at writing songs you should learn the circle of fifths.
Play as fast as you can, never play slow. That's just shit. Never use a metronome, it's a waste of time. Always play songs that are extremely hard and don't ever, ever think of learning theory

Or you can do the opposite, if you like