I'm thinking of getting a capo, although I was just thinking about how in a way, they're cheating a bit. You know what I mean? So I was wondering if I should get one or not, and which famous people use capos in there songs.
I dont know any famous songs as such, but a capo can be used to change the key of a song.
For example, i play Fields Of Gold - Eva Cassidy with my girlfriend, but the normal key is too low for her range, so i have to capo the 6th fret, and i can play the song perfectly, but in a higher key.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
They're not cheating at all - saves a lot of hassle retuning, and also can give the guitar a nice jangly sound. As for people who use capos, see "Most people who're good at guitar" - Examples off the top of my head include The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Doyle Dykes, Nirvana (maybe?), All Time Low... I can't think of more, but there are lots and lots and lots.

You should get one - a wonderful addition to any guitar playing arsenal. I personally prefer trigger capos to any other type, but that's just me.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
Loads of great bands/artists use capos..and they're in now way cheating.

Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkle..there's tonnes of great stuff using a capo..but most of it escapes me at the minute. You should get one though, they're very handy things to have.
Last one on drugs is a queer.
i fail to understand how a capo is "cheating" there's no right or wrong way to play guitar, it's music. As for examples, Warren Haynes uses a capo all the time, and he's the effing man.
"Wonderwall" by Oasis uses one, and I'm pretty sure "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles does as well.
I know a couple, like... Wonderwall by Oasis and Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles. I dunno if they're your style of music but they are some famous and good songs that have capos. And having a capo is always good to have such as changing keys (as said above) without re-tuning your guitar to something stupid that'll probably break your strings.

EDIT: Did not see above posts when posting... haha.
capos are awesome, i'd recommend anyone to get one, because even a simple change of key can inspire you to write a new song. its not cheating in any way, because open chord shapes, with a capo, create different ways of voicing chords, rather than using barre chords to play in a certain key.
as for songs, there are plenty out there, but a popular way to use them, as said before, is to raise a songs key to suit your, or someone elses voice.
Quote by Horizontal
I'm thinking of getting a capo, although I was just thinking about how in a way, they're cheating a bit. You know what I mean? So I was wondering if I should get one or not, and which famous people use capos in there songs.

I dont understand how its cheating. I use a capo ALL the time for my Praise Band. THe songs we play require a capo. The capo can also be used to change the key. Two days ago we were missing a lead male vocalist so we used to capo
(to raise the sound) to save our lives. Haha
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Bleach265
They're not cheating at all - saves a lot of hassle retuning, and also can give the guitar a nice jangly sound. As for people who use capos, see "Most people who're good at guitar" - Examples off the top of my head include The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Doyle Dykes, Nirvana (maybe?), All Time Low... I can't think of more, but there are lots and lots and lots.

Wait, what?
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by frankibo
Wait, what?

Yeah, I know, I learned it for an ex. I know I was contradicting myself lol. I sort of like them though...
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Quote by deimachy
"Wonderwall" by Oasis uses one, and I'm pretty sure "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles does as well.

This. (Wonderwall has capo on 2nd fret; Here Comes The Sun has capo on the 7th fret)

Also, tons of Beatles songs (like Norwegian Wood, 2nd fret capo), a lot of stuff by City and Colour, lots of Dylan, Slide by Goo Goo Dolls (on 1st fret I believe), etc. It's definitely not cheating. It lets you do things that would be ridiculously difficult without one. Try playing Here Comes The Sun in that position without a capo...

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=songs+using+capo&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=5CRGTIrpF8WcnAfz0IiABA
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Forget that, try playing this without a capo (or 5)

You can play a lot of songs that use a capo with bar chords instead, but using a capo and open chords just gives it a different sound. If you were writing a song it would really depend on what kind of sound you are looking for.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by Bleach265
Forget that, try playing this without a capo (or 5)

That's a bit of overkill haha. Very impressive, but I think the capo on the 2nd fret was absolutely pointless. It wasn't fretting any notes, and it was just one more for him to remove at the end.

EDIT: After watching it a second time, I realized he did use it for his outtro. Still, he could have played it without the 2nd fret capo.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 20, 2010,
If you think using a capo is cheating, you best remove the nut from your guitar.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
If you think using a capo is cheating, you best remove the nut from your guitar.

Not to mention the frets. Then intonation is all up to you.
Personally, I don't think they're cheating. My dad just thinks they are, and he wanted a second opinion.
I Will Follow You Into The Dark (Death Cab FOr Cutie): Capo 5
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac): Capo 3
Sound Of Silence (Simon And Garfunkel); Capo 6?
Its not cheating dude, it simply makes life easier
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Horizontal
Personally, I don't think they're cheating. My dad just thinks they are, and he wanted a second opinion.

I think your dad’s a twit. Tell him to try tuning a guitar up five or six steps and see what happens. Or try keeping tuning stable on a guitar when you’re changing the tuning three or four times in an hour.