Well, I thought that I had a few amps narrowed down, but then I keep looking and I find a few more that seem cool haha. Anyways, I have a depressive black metal solo project and I use a lot of cleans. This Fender seems to have really nice, warm, cleans. I use a lot of cleans too. However, I still use distortion and I'm wondering how it would sound if I boosted this with a pedal. A Tube Screamer, or Line 6 Uber Metal (which I already have), etc. I would like to know if I could get a similar distortion sound as the bands Through the Pain, Thy Light, [...], or Nae'Blis, etc., but mostly Through the Pain because that distortion has a lot of clarity by boosting the amp with a pedal. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a DiMarzio DP221 (D-Activator X) in the bridge and a DiMarzio DP222 (D-Activator X) in the neck. These are very high output pickups. Alright, if anymore information is needed please just tell me. I think that I got everything covered though.

*EXTRA* If anyone has experience with the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo, I'd basically like to know the same information. Does the distortion have a lot of clarity, and how are the cleans. Warm sounding? I mean, I know the cleans won't compare to the Fender, but I'd still like them to sound nice. I'd still be able to get a distortion similar to the Through the Pain distortion, etc. Alright, I've carried on long enough. Thanks for the help.

Budget: $800

Styles of Music: Depressive Black Metal, Blues, Classical, Black Metal, Death Metal, Various 'Cores', Thrash/Speed Metal

New/Used: I don't care as long as it's in good, working condition

I play stuff like Metallica/Pantera, Black Pajent/Seasons After, Clapton/SRV, Satriani/Vai, Pink Floyd, Fernando Sor/Bach, Yngwie, Deicide/Devourment, Iced Earth, etc, etc. I WOULD NOT be able to try these out because I don't have any big fancy music stores like a Guitar Center for a couple hundred miles in all directions.

Gigging?: Small family get-togethers (60-100 People) and bedroom/recording uses.
Last edited by Gurut at Jul 20, 2010,
I almost bought a Fender Blues Deluxe. I opted for a Vox Night Train, and then sold that to buy my Egnater Tweaker. Great decision. I highly recommend it, depending on your purposes.
As for the 6505, I used to play through a 6505 head with a Peavey 4x12. I could get decent cleans, but not the cleans I was looking for.

Could you give some more info so we can make a good recommendation? Stuff like budget, new/used, styles of music, etc.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I almost bought a Fender Blues Deluxe. I opted for a Vox Night Train, and then sold that to buy my Egnater Tweaker. Great decision. I highly recommend it, depending on your purposes.
As for the 6505, I used to play through a 6505 head with a Peavey 4x12. I could get decent cleans, but not the cleans I was looking for.

Could you give some more info so we can make a good recommendation? Stuff like budget, new/used, styles of music, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Okay, extra info: Budget=$800, Styles of Music: Mainly Depressive Black Metal (lots of cleans, like distortion with lots of clarity), Some blues, thrash/speed metal, metalcore (and various other 'cores'), black metal, some jazz, classical, and death metal, New/Used: I don't care as long as it's in good, working condition. I play anything from Burzum to Through the Pain to Fernando Sor to Clapton to Pantera/Metallica to Black Pajent/Seasons After to Deicide, etc, etc, etc.
IMO, you can do much better than those 2 amps for $800. I forgot to ask, but will you be gigging, playing in a band, or just bedroom use?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
IMO, you can do much better than those 2 amps for $800. I forgot to ask, but will you be gigging, playing in a band, or just bedroom use?

Okay, I updated the main thing. Which ones do you have in mind for the $800 budget? No real gigging. Small family gatherings with about 60 to 100 people, but mainly for bedroom/recording uses.
I'm not too familiar with the main style of music you play, but it sounds like you want versatility. I'd definitely check out Egnater amps (the Tweaker is really inexpensive and the Rebel should be pretty close to your budget). They're incredibly versatile. They may not get as hi-gain as you want, but throw a pedal in front and you should be good to go.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I'm not too familiar with the main style of music you play, but it sounds like you want versatility. I'd definitely check out Egnater amps (the Tweaker is really inexpensive and the Rebel should be pretty close to your budget). They're incredibly versatile. They may not get as hi-gain as you want, but throw a pedal in front and you should be good to go.

Thanks man, I'll check into it. Yeah, I do want versatility. I don't really need super hi-gain, I want about a medium to high gain, but the thing that's I'm most concerned about is a distortion with a lot of clarity.
Then definitely check out the Tweaker. It's 15-W tube, which should easily be loud enough for you. It has a toggle switch that changes the amp's voicing between British (very Marshall-y tone), AC (Vox tone), and US (Fender tone). For your styles of music, it should be good, especially with a pedal for higher-gain stuff in front. The head is only $399 too!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Then definitely check out the Tweaker. It's 15-W tube, which should easily be loud enough for you. It has a toggle switch that changes the amp's voicing between British (very Marshall-y tone), AC (Vox tone), and US (Fender tone). For your styles of music, it should be good, especially with a pedal for higher-gain stuff in front. The head is only $399 too!

Dude that's great! Thanks for your help!
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

Yeah, man. I've listened to some stuff on YouTube and it sounds great! Has all the sounds I'm looking for! Thanks again 'cuz I never would of given the Tweaker a thought!
jet city
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
yeah they freeze their amps in carbonate over night gives them a really good dark side tone, also their CEO is the only african american to see over an amp company, pretty cool huh check them out i think they start at about 300 credits but im pretty sure you could trade any decent astro or protocal droid for it.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Gurut
Yeah, man. I've listened to some stuff on YouTube and it sounds great! Has all the sounds I'm looking for! Thanks again 'cuz I never would of given the Tweaker a thought!

No worries man. Definitely go try it out. I was in the same boat about a month ago, and was looking at the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. Then someone on here recommended the Tweaker to me. The first time I tried it out, I wasn't too impressed and I ended up going home with a Vox Night Train. But I loved how versatile it was and I kept checking it out on YouTube, so I decided to give it another shot. I played through it again and that was it for me. Spent 5 and a half hours in a car, stuck in downtown traffic just to get one. Worth it though. I'm amazed at the ground this little amp can cover. Hopefully you like it just as much!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
No worries man. Definitely go try it out. I was in the same boat about a month ago, and was looking at the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. Then someone on here recommended the Tweaker to me. The first time I tried it out, I wasn't too impressed and I ended up going home with a Vox Night Train. But I loved how versatile it was and I kept checking it out on YouTube, so I decided to give it another shot. I played through it again and that was it for me. Spent 5 and a half hours in a car, stuck in downtown traffic just to get one. Worth it though. I'm amazed at the ground this little amp can cover. Hopefully you like it just as much!

Yeah, I can't try one out though. I don't have any shops that carry them for a couple hundred miles all around. Hey man, ya know what? You should record some clips and send 'em to my email... 0_o`

If you can, that'd be great haha.
Quote by Skagasm
yeah they freeze their amps in carbonate over night gives them a really good dark side tone, also their CEO is the only african american to see over an amp company, pretty cool huh check them out i think they start at about 300 credits but im pretty sure you could trade any decent astro or protocal droid for it.

I can't find anything on these cloud city amps that you speak of...
Quote by Gurut
I can't find anything on these cloud city amps that you speak of...

Haha he's messing with you man. It's a Star Wars reference. I'll see what I can do about recording some clips. I don't have a good mic at the moment, so I'll have to use my laptop's mic. It tends to add a bit of a flange to everything, so it's not going to do the amp any justice. Your best bet is to just check out YouTube videos. I have one clip in my profile of me playing the Tweaker right now. Again, recorded it with my laptop mic so it doesn't sound great. I'll put some more up this week and reply in this thread so you know that they're up.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Haha he's messing with you man. It's a Star Wars reference. I'll see what I can do about recording some clips. I don't have a good mic at the moment, so I'll have to use my laptop's mic. It tends to add a bit of a flange to everything, so it's not going to do the amp any justice. Your best bet is to just check out YouTube videos. I have one clip in my profile of me playing the Tweaker right now. Again, recorded it with my laptop mic so it doesn't sound great. I'll put some more up this week and reply in this thread so you know that they're up.

Hails!

Oh, I had no idea what he was talking about haha. But yeah, thanks man. I'll check out the video you have up now, then I'll check the ones that you get up sometime soon.

Thanks