how come different voicings sound so different?
for example, a regular open E chord sounds so different from an A-based barre chord on the 7th fret.
because the notes are in higher octaves, and it doesn't have the sound of open strings ringing.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
play the open low E string. play the high E string.

don't they sound different?

actual notes aside, the tone of the notes tends to get duller as you go further down the fretboard. an E3 played on the 12th fret of the E string will sound duller than an E3 played on the second fret of the D string.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
its good that they sound different, as it allows more possibility for different tonality therefore giving you more depth to your compositions
what if you wanted to play a song with like an E chord in it. how do you choose which voicing to play?
well that would depend on if you were using minor or major?

but all in all its up to to choose which one sounds best to you, for your particular song.

if your trying to figure out a song and don't know which chord the dude is using on the track, try them all till you find the right one.

a chord is a scale played all at one basically
Quote by oommggwwttff
what if you wanted to play a song with like an E chord in it. how do you choose which voicing to play?

Choose the one that sounds the best to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I always thought of different voicings like this. G major chord or a G major with a D added. Thats how I see different voicings. I see what your saying as the same chord.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by shredtil'yadead
a chord is a scale played all at one basically

No, a chord is not a scale played all at once. It is usually constructed from notes in a scale, but it doesn't use all of them. That would sound terrible.

E major for example contains the notes E, G#, and B. (First, Third, and Fifth)
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk