Hello everyone.

My wife's father gave me an old Ovation 1617.4 this past weekend. It's fairly beat up, but very playable. There are two cracks in the top that don't appear to go all the way through (as if it was sat on accidentally?) and there are some frets that need to be reset. Also, it's been stripped of its electronics.

My questions is: Attempt repair then try to sell it, or just try to get a few bucks from someone who wants an old fixer-upper? My experience with repairing/tinkering is with electrics only, and I don't have a NEED for another acoustic (but don't tell my wife I said that in case I see one I like ).

Thanks, gents. Cheers.
Don't bother paying for the repair. Just put it up for a few sale as-is, or keep it for goofing around on.
Put up a post with pics over at http://www.ovationfanclub.com They will know better than most what to do.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Put up a post with pics over at http://www.ovationfanclub.com They will know better than most what to do.

Just an FYI buddy, you're not supposed to post links to other forums. I don't think that should be the case if you're helping someone out, but it all comes down to what the mod's here think.

Well, do you enjoy playing the guitar? Do you like the way it sounds/plays? If so, I'd invest in getting it fixed, but if you think "Meh, it's a nice guitar, but I like my *insert name of your favorite guitar here* better," then I'd say sell it someone who likes to fix up stuff.

And...:
Quote by darth whaler
Thanks for all the responses.

Just as a heads up, this is one of the smaller forums on this site, usually between 20-30 viewing, most of which are probably guests, and only a few actually post. We're not as quick as the EG, GG&A, GB&C forums because there's less of us. I'm to assume that post was sarcasm?
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Last edited by clayonfire at Jul 22, 2010,
I see how it came across as sarcasm. Apologies. I meant it as a pre-emptive "Thanks".

I must say, no acoustic that I've put my hands on has the same feel or sound as my Martin. So I'll probably dump the Ovation on someone who feels the same way about Ovation as I do about Martin.

Thanks, everybody.
If you're really not that interested in it and it needs repairs by most people's standards then i'd only put it up for sale on our forums or a similar format where you're not timed to sell your items and you decide a fixed price.. if you put it on ebay or similar then many people will be discouraged and others will take this for a steal.

TL;DR - fix if putting on ebay, don't fix if not.

HELLO!

Thanks for the input! I'll probably post it for sale once I can find a box big enough for the damn thing
Quote by darth whaler
Thanks for the input! I'll probably post it for sale once I can find a box big enough for the damn thing

Put it on Craigslist in or near your town.. They can come to your place to pick it up if they want it. Post some pictures "as Is" No hassles shipping, no insurance, keeps the cost of selling it down so it sells faster.
just my $.02