So I have had a really crappy guitar growing up. I played guitar quite a bit in my teenage years. I was never a great guitarist but I have always enjoyed noodling around.

I put my guitar down for prob a good 5 or 6 years.

Now that I have grown up I was searching for a hobby and picked up the old 6 strings and have really been into it. So now that I have money to blow I picked up a nice guitar.

My question is I am assuming that if I turn the tuners while they are locked down it will damage them... Am I right or wrong. I don't usually do it but I have had a few brain lapses while tuning up and gave the a tuner or 2 a few slight twists without realizing they were still locked down. Last time I picked her up she was WAAAY out of tune... which is unusual. So do you think they're shot????
What you're doing is fine, but on a seperate note, make sure you're tuning up to pitch if you don't already. I'm not sure why but it is very helpful for tuning stability.
I think you are confusing Locking Tuners with a tremolo locking system (like a Floyd Rose equipped guitar).

Locking tuners clamp down on the strings inside the hole in the peg where you thread the string through so they don't slip (you don't have to wrap the string around the peg and on top of itself). After you lock them down, you tune the guitar like you would with conventional tuners.

Tremolo string locks clamp the stings at the nut. Floyd Rose use double locks - at the nut and at the bridge. Once those are locked down, you cant tune with the machine heads. Floyd Rose trems have micro tuners on each saddle. After you lock down the stings, you'd use the micro tuners for fine tuning (trem locks sharpen the string a tiny bit so tune a little flat before you lock the nut).
Wow!! I guess I was really uneducated about locking tuners. I didn't realize exactly how they how they worked and I appriciate all you guys setting me straight on how they actually do work.
Here's a very specific stringing method to minimise string slippage when using conventional non locking tuners. If you re-sting following this method, the strings optimally clamp down on themselves.

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html

If you are going to upgrade to locking tuners, check out Planet Waves. They are reasonably priced and very solid. They have smooth 18:1 ratio (Sperzels have 14:1 - maybe even a 12:1 which makes for rough tuning). A neat feature of the PW is that they automatically trim off the excess string. You just slide the string though, lock it down and start turning. When it comes to a full revolution, a knife edge trims it.

Edit: I just reread your OP. Never mind, you either bought a guitar with locking tuners - or you bought a guitar with a locking trem. In either case... you don't need locking tuners.
Last edited by 667 at Jul 21, 2010,