So basically, i've been playing around a year, and i wanna get better! I WANNA ROCK! I know chords and which notes are which on a fretboard, some songs, major and minor pentatonic scales, and 1 arpegios scale. I can pick pretty fast (thanks to learning a couple Lamb of God and Slayer songs). I play pretty much METAL! and some hard rock and i mess around with some blues. I'm also working on sweep picking. So what else can i learn to get better? I can't really take lessons so thats out of the question.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
Quote by Acap0624
So basically, i've been playing around a year, and i wanna get better! I WANNA ROCK! I know chords and which notes are which on a fretboard, some songs, major and minor pentatonic scales, and 1 arpegios scale. I can pick pretty fast (thanks to learning a couple Lamb of God and Slayer songs). I play pretty much METAL! and some hard rock and i mess around with some blues. I'm also working on sweep picking. So what else can i learn to get better? I can't really take lessons so thats out of the question.

Legato.

...And work on low-speed accuracy and hand placement. you'll be able to play longer and faster if you do.

BOW TO THE METRONOME!!! IT IS YOUR NEW GOD!!!
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by gizmodious
Legato.

...And work on low-speed accuracy and hand placement. you'll be able to play longer and faster if you do.

BOW TO THE METRONOME!!! IT IS YOUR NEW GOD!!!

What exactly is legato? isnt that playing without picking? excuse me if im wrong but i heard John Petrucci say it in a YouTube video and thats what i thought it meant.
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5
A way i pushed myself to get better was that whenever i questioned whether or not something was good enough(usually in improvisation) I made sure that I reworked it or practiced it until it was played well.
Quote by Acap0624
What exactly is legato? isnt that playing without picking? excuse me if im wrong but i heard John Petrucci say it in a YouTube video and thats what i thought it meant.

You are correct. To do ascending legato, pick the string and strike or "hammer on" the string at a higher fret using a left-hand finger. For descending legato, pick the string while fretting it and "pull off" with your left hand in a downward motion, like you're plucking the string. You can also learn two-hand tapping, which is the same thing, only you use your right hand. There are lessons and exercises for these in the Lessons section of UG.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by David Blackbird
You are correct. To do ascending legato, pick the string and strike or "hammer on" the string at a higher fret using a left-hand finger. For descending legato, pick the string while fretting it and "pull off" with your left hand in a downward motion, like you're plucking the string. You can also learn two-hand tapping, which is the same thing, only you use your right hand. There are lessons and exercises for these in the Lessons section of UG.

Okay thank you! And yeah ive kinda been working at tapping. i saw a video lesson of Chris Broderick (curently in Megadeth) doing tapping a deccending G major arpegios scale (or something like that) and thought id give it a try. but it was crazy. way too fast
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Line 6 M-5