I'm looking for a tape delay unit like an echoplex, but don't want to drop that much money on a used echoplex without first trying it. Does anyone know if any companies still produce new tape delays?
Fulltone makes one, but it only sells for about $200 less than the last vintage Echoplex I saw in a store.
I see real Echoplex EP-2s and 3s for ~$600 all the time, my friend is a collector and has about a dozen. Maintenance is what kills most owners but if you can get over that, an Echoplex is absolutely killer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by sfischer61uz
I'm looking for a tape delay unit like an echoplex, but don't want to drop that much money on a used echoplex without first trying it. Does anyone know if any companies still produce new tape delays?

Empress Vintage Modified Super Delay or Skreddy Echo (I feel the Vintage Modified has a better tape simulator though) + Badgerplex or ClinchFX EP-PRE. Most people would also say the Xotic EP Booster, but its not the same thing as t he EP-PRE/Badgerplex. The EP-PRE/Badgerplex are more accurate reproductions of the preamp of an echoplex (Which most players say give the magic in an Echoplex's tone), and then paired with a good analog delay will get you there pretty much.
im currently making my own, they are pretty easy to make and cost alot less.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
You might read this:

http://fulltone.com/stpframe.asp

And see if you still feel the same way. I don't want to discourage you, but it really isn't a plug and play device.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
I have to say that we all glad to see the back of tape delays. It wasn't just cost that made analog delays displace tape delay in usage. They are a pita.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification