More of an open discussion rather than a question, however i'm wondering how long it did it take you to train your index finger to hold a barre?

Meaning to be able to hold a barre with your index finger and then form a chord shape over it.

(Example: The intro to Under The Bridge)

I have been beginning to practice this more because it seems when I do this i'm hitting every note spot on except anything on the B string.

I mean it's only a problem on the first 2 frets, but I have been taking a nice time out of my practice now just to get all of those notes 100%.

Did it take you alot of practice?
Find a position for your index finger that lets all the notes ring out clearly. Move your finger around until you hit the sweet spot (no pun intended, wth is my GF?) Once you find the magic spot, move it around the fretboard without fingering the rest of the chord, then introduce the fingers one by one. Rinse, repeat.

Took a few months. try switching in and out of the barre chord from diff shapes too, should help.

If you really want to be good at it, double-skank a ska riff using barres
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Sweet great advice thanks.

Do you put your thumb in a certain way for them at all?
Close to parallel with my index finger. You want to avoid bringing it in closer to your pinky finger, it creates unecessary tendon strain.

Remember, only press as hard as you need to provide support for your fretting hand. If your thumb starts to tingle or go numb, stop practicing for the day and try again tomorrow with less pressure.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by gizmodious
Close to parallel with my index finger. You want to avoid bringing it in closer to your pinky finger, it creates unecessary tendon strain.

Ahh, thanks this was extremely useful.

I was doing this at first thinking it was strengthening my grip but naturally I realized I had a sweeter spot with it parallel with the index.

Thanks alot!
Barre's will destroy your hands for the first few days - this is normal, persevere through it.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm talking about hand fatigue - the type where your muscles ache similar to when you work out or something. If you get any actual PAIN, stop straight away.

Eventually you'll start to exert less pressure on the barre and when you've found your optimum finger placement you'll find it easy.

IMO, getting clean barres, and being able to switch quickly between barres, is the hardest thing to do on the guitar.
I didn't seem to have the problem most people do, it took me a week or so until I could find the right position and then just a while working on switching between barre chords. I never found them that difficult really.

Is that weird?
Quote by suckersdream
I didn't seem to have the problem most people do, it took me a week or so until I could find the right position and then just a while working on switching between barre chords. I never found them that difficult really.

Is that weird?

It has taken me about a week as well after re-adjusting my thumb positioning.
My first guitar had extremely high action for a electric (I mean it, it was higher then a acoustics lol)
So I just sort of practiced like mad and kept holding it down until my finger felt like it was going to bleed
Now I can just play it easily lol

So I guess just go slow and make sure everything is extremely clear