I have a few dozen and acoustic and a few dozen electric guitars. I am thinking about buying an acoustic-electric guitar, though. Can it play metal when plugged into an amp or can it only play with an acoustic sound through an amp?

I've never bought one, so that's why I am asking. Thanks
Neo-Classical is ftw.
No it can't. But you can.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Why do I get the feeling you don't have 24+ guitars....
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
if you have the right hardware then theoretically i don't see why not. it won't sound as good but it can be achieved
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
It will feed back horribly and sound like shit. Acoustic-Electric means that it's an acoustic guitar that has an internal pickup (and usually onboard EQ) to amplify the sound of the acoustic guitar.

You probably want a solid or semi-hollow electric guitar with a piezo bridge, but if you already have "a few dozen and acoustic and a few dozen electric guitars", I don't think that'd be your priority. I'd get a nice amp if I were you. You're either a shameless liar or pretty loaded.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
The guitar you posted sounds like shite imo. I've played one.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by SubjectNameHere
It will feed back horribly and sound like shit. Acoustic-Electric means that it's an acoustic guitar that has an internal pickup (and usually onboard EQ) to amplify the sound of the acoustic guitar.

You probably want a solid or semi-hollow electric guitar with a piezo bridge, but if you already have "a few dozen and acoustic and a few dozen electric guitars", I don't think that'd be your priority. I'd get a nice amp if I were you. You're either a shameless liar or pretty loaded.

Not really loaded. I just saved up from my online business and bid on guitars on auction on the last minute from eBay.
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Quote by RU Experienced?
No, of course not, don't be stupid.

Didn't know I was stupid for not knowing about a topic.
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Quote by Topleggedskater
Didn't know I was stupid for not knowing about a topic.

That's pretty much exactly what stupidity is: the absence of knowledge.

Stupid.
You CAAAAAAN, I wouldn't recomend it. It will feed back like a mofo, however you can play some sick SUNN O))) with it I suppose.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by K Dizzle
sooooo much feedback

Yes. You can do it, but never stop playing, or your amp might explode.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Why would you want to? If I had 'a few dozen' guitars I would use them all. Use an electric for playing distorted and use an acoustic for playing clean. It will sound MUCH better.
Last edited by nfrench7fold at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by RU Experienced?

Stupid.

Ignorance≠Stupidity

You can be both simultaneously, but they aren't the same thing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
No, it can't. There's a chip built in that will detect if you are playing metal and if you start the guitar will simply blow up.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Stupid.

Stupidity is not knowing AND not knowing enough to ask.

There are no dumb questions. Only dumb answers.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Stupid.

That's ignorance, babypie. Stupidity is a lack of understanding or mental skill. Very different things, though often linked.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by damian_91
So kvlt
If he can do it with an ukelele, I don't see why not, TS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z98urSM4sG8

no, for that you need one of these

http://www.beckettsmusic.co.uk/shop/ProdImages/z7974.jpg
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
it would sound better unplugged imo fuller sound but i dont think you have a few dozen guitars though or you wouldnt be asking this question
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That's ignorance, babypie. Stupidity is a lack of understanding or mental skill. Very different things, though often linked.

The two are not mutually exclusive, as you said. Merriam Webster defines it as lacking intelligence or reason. That seems to fit nicely into the context of this thread. Someone who can apply their reasoning well would be able to discern that high gain + hollowbody instrument = feedback and unpleasantness.

Quote by KG6_Steven
There are no dumb questions.

That's blatantly untrue.

Edit: And I'd appreciate it if y'all didn't hassle me for being an asshole in the future.
Quote by RU Experienced?
The two are not mutually exclusive, as you said. Merriam Webster defines it as lacking intelligence or reason. That seems to fit nicely into the context of this thread. Someone who can apply their reasoning well would be able to discern that high gain + hollowbody instrument = feedback and unpleasantness.

That's blatantly untrue.

Edit: And I'd appreciate it if y'all didn't hassle me for being an asshole in the future.

True.

I was being an asshole earlier and thought it was amusing that you might be ignorant about ignorance.

Will do.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Quote by SubjectNameHere

I was being an asshole earlier and thought it was amusing that you might be ignorant about ignorance.
I'd do the very same.

Will do.

Thanks brother.
Quote by RU Experienced?

That's blatantly untrue.

You're wrong anyway. You can use a noise gate to get rid of that feedback unless you stand right infront of the amp.
Quote by rgrockr
No, it can't. There's a chip built in that will detect if you are playing metal and if you start the guitar will simply blow up.

Basically this.
Quote by Zoot Allures
You're wrong anyway. You can use a noise gate to get rid of that feedback unless you stand right infront of the amp.

Because purchasing an acoustic-electric and a noise gate pedal to play metal when you already possess over a dozen guitars more adequately suited for that task is not retarded or anything.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Because purchasing an acoustic-electric and a noise gate pedal to play metal when you already possess over a dozen guitars more adequately suited for that task is not retarded or anything.

You could just buy a Piezo pickup and wiring kit and install it on your favorite solidbody electric if you want acoustic and electric tones on the same instrument. If that isn't your goal and you just want to buy an acoustic-electric because that's something that isn't covered by 24 other guitars but still want to play metal on it for some fucking moronic reason, then you could maybe get a clue and/or stop trolling.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Quote by RU Experienced?

We're talking about it being possible or not, it's far from impossible as a task, it's hassle but it's not impossible.