Hey UG, I'm planning on buying a bridge pickup soon and i don't know which one to choose. I am into artists like As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, and stuff like that. Which pickup would be the best for that sound.. you know, like cool riffs and breakdowns. My amp is a Peavey Vypyr tube 60 and my guitar is an ibanez rg3exfm1, which is basswood. I was thinking Dimarzio D-activators or Seymour Duncan Invaders, but I don't know.. What do you guys thinks?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I was going to try and avoid active pickups because in an earlier thread I made, people suggested not to use active pickups with solid state amps and even though the vypyr 60 has tubes, its still mostly a solid state at heart.
Last edited by aznb0i5o4 at Jul 21, 2010,
Woo EMGs
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
EMG 81/85
or AHB-1 Blackouts

if you want to stay with passives i would go with the D-activator
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The Vypyrs take boosting well, so you might as well go for EMGs. I'd get them 18v modded, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
D-activators
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by forsaknazrael
Definitely not Invaders, please...

Yea I agree

I also agree on the active thing. Why would you want to spend all that money on EMG's when you can get a nice set of Bareknuckles
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Budget?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
EMGs work well for that kinda sound.
But if you wanna use your bridge passive neck pick-up too, you're gonna need to wire it correctly.

I don't know where you are.
But if you can get Bareknuckles for around the same price as EMGs, get the Bareknuckle.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Invaders sound awesome? I've never had problems
I don't own them, but I have a guitar with them in my possession for a bit
Invaders don't sound that bad like some people say, but there are DEFINATLY better pickups for the money.

But I guess, if you love 'em, you love 'em.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
There iffy for clean
For sure lol
I never tried bareknuckles or d activators
But like you said for the money they r good

I don't judge until I play stuff through my rig though
They're not really designed for cleans though.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think they sound good or anything.
For passive either dactivators (the x versions is a little more midsy but is more versatile) or bare knuckle nailbombs, maybe painkillers for total metal domination, also maybe the dimarzio x2n

emgs are decent but can lack a bit in cleans and can sound lifeless, but yry them to see what you think
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
EMG 81 with 18volt mod if you do low tuning. D tuning and above I'd go with a SD Blackout. I know everyone likes to rag on the non-tube amps + active pickups as if there is no point in having active pickups without a tube amp, and I certainly agree that active+tube=awesome but your tone will be dramatically different if you have an emg instead of a duncan no matter what amp you have. I used to play through a behringer vamp and the switch to active emgs made a HUGE difference compared to passive pickups. I think that ultimately people criticize actives in non tube amps because sometimes there is a clipping issue (i haven't experienced it) and also sometimes spending $200 on pickups when you have a crappy amp it seems that the money would be better spent on a better amp. In your case, with the vypyr tube I'd say go for the actives, why not.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga