I got some Seymour duncans to replace the INF pickups on my RG350DX. So I decided to put the INF pickups, just the bridge and neck, into my Yamaha RG121 that has crap pups. My dad and I have little experience with this kind of thing, but I plugged it in and it seems to be working. The only problem is, I'm getting quiet a bit of feedback. I get buzzing if I'm not touching the strings or whenever I pluck them. Turning the tone down helps some. Our ground is kind of sketchy, so could it be a ground problem?

It's also completely gone when I rest my hand on the bridge.
Last edited by Caleb B at Jul 20, 2010,
First of all, that's called hum, not feedback. Two very different things. Secondly, your grounding is fine if it goes away when you touch the bridge. Last time I checked you're almost always touching the strings and/or the bridge while playing guitar, so it should be a non-issue really.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
First of all, that's called hum, not feedback. Two very different things. Secondly, your grounding is fine if it goes away when you touch the bridge. Last time I checked you're almost always touching the strings and/or the bridge while playing guitar, so it should be a non-issue really.
Sorry for the incorrect use of terms. I'd prefer to be able to have my hand off the guitar and not get a constant humming if it's something I can fix fairly easily, that's all. If my hand isn't resting on the bridge, I get a lot of humming from just picking the strings.
Noise suppressor
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
It's not a wiring fault. There's no helping it because there's no problem. All you can really do is make sure you're constantly touching something grounded on the guitar or use a noise suppressor as stated. A cheaper, more effective solution would be to tape a small wire to the bridge that you can loop around your pinky or wrist while playing, thus ensuring the ground connection between you and the guitar is never broken.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
It's not a wiring fault. There's no helping it because there's no problem. All you can really do is make sure you're constantly touching something grounded on the guitar or use a noise suppressor as stated. A cheaper, more effective solution would be to tape a small wire to the bridge that you can loop around your pinky or wrist while playing, thus ensuring the ground connection between you and the guitar is never broken.
What causes this? The pickups had no problem before on the Ibanez and there wasn't feedback on the Yamaha with it's stock pickups.
you could do with some sheilding cover the inside of the control cavity with aluminum foil
does it go away when you go to a different place?
also maybe your wiring isnt on right or something it doesnt hurt to check
Last edited by supersac at Jul 21, 2010,
It never hurts to check your solder connections and shield the guitar, but if the hum goes away when you touch grounded parts of the guitar it generally means the wiring's fine. Did you change anything about the environment you play in? Fluorescent lights have an ungodly hum.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Have you read the ultimate wiring thread? This topic has already been covered there in the first couple post....
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Yeah, always make sure you have good grounds, they're pretty critical. Now you keep saying feedback, are you sure you mean feedback? Sounds like you mean buzz. Feedback is the high pitched squeeling and buzz is the 60hz noise that goes away when you touch your strings, or gets really loud if you touch the positive (tip) end of a guitar cable that's plugged in.