Hey everyone! I know this is probably not a question you might see here everyday. I wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this question, as there isn't another subforum I could find for ukeleles. Anyways, I was at my local Ted Browns music store the other day and picked up a $200 ukelele and started playing it. It actually sounded kinda enticing! So what are some good ukelele models out there perhaps under $200? I might be considering too low of a price... but I wouldn't know for sure. Also, where could I go to find ukelele tabs? I would be surprised if ultimate-guitar had them!
I noticed a lot of ukuleles are 12 fret-sized. But I have found few that are 19 frets. How many frets does yours have, and where did you find yours?
umm... it's been three years. if he hasn't made up his mind yet, he desserves one of the free ones they give you when you get off the plane in Honolulu.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by witamoto
Check out Kala brand ukes. Great sound for the money!

I agree with this. Although Lanikai is known for being the best for beginners.

Also when purchasing I would consider (since you are likely a guitar player) getting either the Tenor or the Baritone sizes. The Tenor is the largest you are going to get with the Ukes standard tuning of GCEA and I personally prefer this size over all. However, the baritone has a really lovely rich voice, has the largest frets, and is tuned like the bottom four strings of a guitar so DGBE so its a smooth transition. Both are great, make sure to let us know what you end up getting!

edit: I didn't realize this was three years old -_- embarrassing.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Last edited by Shadowenspirit at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Shadowenspirit

edit: I didn't realize this was three years old -_- embarrassing.
Old threads are sort of like the La Brea Tar Pits. One member walks by and falls in, then several others miss seeing the danger and follow to their dooms as well.
I sometimes post on theads that I posted on....months or years previously....

Here's what I did with a uke, though... We were going to buy one for the kid (he's 40) for Xmas, so I went to Guitar Center and played every single one they had. (there were about a dozen)
The little Martin soprano was LOUD, but didn't sound any better tone-wise to my ears than items going for half as much.
I ended up buying a Cordoba "tenor" size.... I thought it had the best tone, likely because it was pitched a bit lower than the little soprano jobs.
Quote by Bikewer
I sometimes post on theads that I posted on....months or years previously....

Here's what I did with a uke, though... We were going to buy one for the kid (he's 40) for Xmas, so I went to Guitar Center and played every single one they had. (there were about a dozen)
The little Martin soprano was LOUD, but didn't sound any better tone-wise to my ears than items going for half as much.
I ended up buying a Cordoba "tenor" size.... I thought it had the best tone, likely because it was pitched a bit lower than the little soprano jobs.

One day, in the far distant future, a new race of man will find this thread, then bump it to post and say, "those cave guitarists sure knew their shit when it came to ukuleles"!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 11, 2013,