Page 1 of 2
I'm a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic, the Angry Video Game Nerd, and a bunch of other internet reviewers. It's fun to watch people who are passionate about movies review things, and some people have even turned it into a business.

However, I just found out that Tommy Wiseau has contacted the webhost of the videos of an internet reviewer named Doug Walker (aka that guy with the glasses) and threatened to sue if they didn't remove his video review of The Room. Blip.com of course succumbed to this threat and removed the video.

I find this abominable. Why does a director find it necessary to attack someone just for giving his movie a negative review (read the edit, I was wrong, the review wasn't actually negative)? How can someone honestly think they have the right to sue other people for giving their opinions (they claimed supposed copyright infringement, even though using clips from movies for purpose of reviews is perfectly legal)?

I am enraged about this, and would like to hear other people's opinion on this.

EDIT: After talking to several people involved from TGWTG, Doug Walker actually liked the movie and told people to go see it, the studio STILL threatened to sue for copyright infringement because he used clips from the movie, which is complete bullshit, since using images for reviews or satirical purposes is perfectly legal.

Now that I know that the original review was positive, I REALLY think the studio are a bunch of idiots.

Seriously, a popular internet reviewer makes a positive review promoting your film, and you throw a sissy fit and have it pulled, even though it's perfectly legal and not infringing copyright in any way??
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 21, 2010,
I know they were probably just like, "this is not worth legal charges just take it down,' but surely they could just come into the court room and say 'First amendment.' I mean surely that's all you need to win this case, a pocket bill of rights and the ability to read.
Quote by cornmancer
surely they could just come into the court room and say 'First amendment.' I mean surely that's all you need to win this case, a pocket bill of rights and the ability to read.

That's what I'm thinking.

Plus the PR they could get from getting shafted like that? This should be pasted everywhere on the internet so people hear about it.
I've tried to get people I don't like to watch The Room in hopes that they would die. I watched it twice, it was a great motivational film, as in... Hey, I REALLY WANNA GET THIS PROJECT DONE, TURN ON THE ROOM SO I NEED TO DROWN SOMETHING OUT WITH WORK!
Quote by L2112Lif
I've tried to get people I don't like to watch The Room in hopes that they would die. I watched it twice, it was a great motivational film, as in... Hey, I REALLY WANNA GET THIS PROJECT DONE, TURN ON THE ROOM SO I NEED TO DROWN SOMETHING OUT WITH WORK!

Quote by CoreysMonster
Why does a director find it necessary to attack someone just for giving his movie a negative review?

probably because he's painfully aware of how accurate it is

How can someone honestly think they have the right to sue other people for giving their opinions?

they have the financial resources to do so
Quote by cornmancer
I know they were probably just like, "this is not worth legal charges just take it down,' but surely they could just come into the court room and say 'First amendment.' I mean surely that's all you need to win this case, a pocket bill of rights and the ability to read.

You'd think, but the offensive to 'first ammendment' Is... Wait... You guessed it, 'First Ammendment'! The idea in the mind of whoever's trying to silence a review is that the review is infringing on THEIR freedom of expression. A jury could buy that, except in the case of The Room, which was the second opening of Pandora's Box. But, in all seriousness, I do like watching The Room once in awhile with my tin hat on and garlic cloves around my neck, hoping to keep the evil spirits in the life-box at bay, lest they molest my spirit and destroy my soul.

I seriously have to see this movie. I've seen clips and such, so terrible, but ever since I saw the "Tommy" episode of Tim & Eric, that's really made me want to see this.
Quote by TheAbsentOne

I seriously have to see this movie. I've seen clips and such, so terrible, but ever since I saw the "Tommy" episode of Tim & Eric, that's really made me want to see this.

You'd better start building the time machine you will use to avoid ever seeing that episode of Tim&Eric. Seriously, that plot seems more feasible than the one in The Room.
I love thatguywiththeglasses.

I think Doug handled the situation well, that satire video he posted earlier was great.
there are rumors going around that this could be a publicity stunt for both Doug and Wiseau, to gain publicity, but I seriously doubt it.
Quote by CoreysMonster
there are rumors going around that this could be a publicity stunt for both Doug and Wiseau, to gain publicity, but I seriously doubt it.

Um... Uhh... Maybe he could just serve horsesh*t at a restaurant to get publicity? Then it would be truthful...

Tommy's actually usually a pretty good sport about people making fun of the film though...
Tommy Wiseau is a cunt, and I don't believe I've seen any of his films, but with that sort of attitude to filmmaking they're probably all fucking abysmal anyway. Someone should give him a slap.
What the hell is this "The Room" movie I've been hearing about lately? It seems like it came out of nowhere.

But, I totally agree with you Corey. This whole situation is complete bullshit. Makes me angry to no end, considering I myself want to be a reviewer. If you can't take criticism on the works that you display to the public, then you shouldn't put it out there for all to see in the first place.
Quote by L2112Lif
You'd better start building the time machine you will use to avoid ever seeing that episode of Tim&Eric. Seriously, that plot seems more feasible than the one in The Room.

Oh I do not think one bit that The Room will be a good movie. I just want to actually see the thing in it's entirety to see how much of a fail it is, I want to laugh at how terrible it is, as many people say they do..

O hai Mark...
Charlie Brooker is my favourite critic.

I'd also be enraged about that though if I weren't too tired to care if my hands were on fire. It's an utterly childish thing to do and the implications it has are awful. I'd not have seen his film anyway, but by way of protest I'm going to pretend this is what stopped me from seeing it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
The Nostalgia Critic tries too hard.

And he disapproves of furries, which just doesn't slide with me.
Quote by CoreysMonster

You know, I didn't think about that. But it honestly wouldn't suprise me.

People once thought that the AVGN and NC fued was real when that whole fiasco started.
Quote by Doppelgänger
The Nostalgia Critic tries too hard.

And he disapproves of furries, which just doesn't slide with me.

Actually, I think he's rather obsessed with furries, considering his latest Video Game Confessions episode.

He might just be a closet furry himself...

Quote by JacobTheMe
You know, I didn't think about that. But it honestly wouldn't suprise me.

People once thought that the AVGN and NC fued was real when that whole fiasco started.

Seriously?! their first meeting at that game shop with Coldguy was so obviously staged, how could anyone think that it was real?

That being said, I haven't had a chance to watch the current NC spoof
Well, I suppose if the review was basically "man this shit's gay and the director touches children inappropriately while he should be directing the movie", and he doesn't, then he's got a case.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I think it's really quite probable, Wiseau hasn't got a shred of legal standing for what he's doing unless the review was actually libellous, and if he's using lawyers they would have told him that. With that said, he's obviously not the brightest chap.

It's also not going to stop me from going to a showing of The Room on saturday. I'm bringing spoons.
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by TheReverend724
That guy with the glasses is the shit

But The Room was a horrible movie

If you don't edit that I will ****ing sue you!
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic, the Angry Video Game Nerd, and a bunch of other internet reviewers. It's fun to watch people who are passionate about movies review things, and some people have even turned it into a business.

However, I just found out that Tommy Wiseau has contacted the webhost of the videos of an internet reviewer named Doug Walker (aka that guy with the glasses) and threatened to sue if they didn't remove his negative video review of The Room. Blip.com of course succumbed to this threat and removed the video.

I find this abominable. Why does a director find it necessary to attack someone just for giving his movie a negative review? How can someone honestly think they have the right to sue other people for giving their opinions?

I am enraged about this, and would like to hear other people's opinion on this.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

that's so stupid, I bet the film is absolutely terrible anyway, and negative movie reviews are loads funnier to read/watch anyway!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by webbtje
I think it's really quite probable, Wiseau hasn't got a shred of legal standing for what he's doing unless the review was actually libellous, and if he's using lawyers they would have told him that. With that said, he's obviously not the brightest chap.

It's also not going to stop me from going to a showing of The Room on saturday. I'm bringing spoons.

Then again, Walker wouldn't have the financial backing to be able to take Wiseau to court over such a small metter, which is probably what his legal advisors told him as well.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Then again, Walker wouldn't have the financial backing to be able to take Wiseau to court over such a small metter, which is probably what his legal advisors told him as well.

Indeed, but it would be nice if people in this position didn't cave in.
Quote by webbtje
Indeed, but it would be nice if people in this position didn't cave in.

actually, after talking to people from the site, Doug Walker was actually fond of the movie in his original review, and told people to go see it.

The studio sued him for copyright infringement, even though Walker and all other reviewers that use footage from movies are doing so perfectly legally.

And, as walker puts it, they're hurting their name and their reputation alot more by being copyright nazis, instead of just letting people watch the review, perhaps become interested in the film, and then probably see it.

To see his comments on the action taken by the studio, watch this:

The Tommy Wiseau Show
I've always thought Wiseau was accepting of critics of his film? He often goes to those special showings of The Room (which everyone must see) to do an introduction, and surely he realises people aren't there to see how amazing it is.

EDIT: He clearly doesn't understand the laws on using footage for reviews. From his website
WARNING: "The Room" is copyrighted and any public exhitition must be approved in writing by Wiseau-Films.

I'm assuming he thinks a review counts as a public exhibition.
Last edited by uk.mace at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by uk.mace

EDIT: He clearly doesn't understand the laws on using footage for reviews. From his website

I'm assuming he thinks a review counts as a public exhibition.

newsflash to wiseau: it doesn't
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Oh I do not think one bit that The Room will be a good movie. I just want to actually see the thing in it's entirety to see how much of a fail it is, I want to laugh at how terrible it is, as many people say they do..

O hai Mark...

Its such a fail... It sucks so hard... You'll want to watch it again and again and again just to see if it really happened all the subsequent times. Then you will get up from your seat/couch/sofa/bed, walk to your garage, pull out a saw, and proceed to amputate your fingers, slowly, for each time you watched it, leaving you with two club hands.
I love the Room.

Funny as ****.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
That's possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. "No you cannot use clips of our movie to tell people how good it is at no cost to us. That's only cool if we've paid for a television spot for it."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by L2112Lif

I've been thinking of checking it out just to see how painfully awful it is, like the car wreck you can't help but watch.
Quote by cornmancer
I've been thinking of checking it out just to see how painfully awful it is, like the car wreck you can't help but watch.

Its like that car crash you can't help but watch... AND THEN WAIT AFTERWARDS TO SEE IF, MAYBE, ANOTHER CAR WILL BE DISTRACTED BY IT AND CONTINUE THE MADNESS.
Tommy Wiseau is a f*cking idiot. He doesn't realize that his movie still gets showing is because it's so laughably bad. He made the worst movie ever and is bitter about it.
yeah but Tommy Wiseau is totally ****ing awesome so he can do what he wants
and hes making a sitcom so yeah Wiseau ftw

(seriously ive met so many film students who criticise him yet theyve never even picked up a camera, at least he had a go even if the results were bad)

ot: yeah but thats wiseau, i wouldnt expect anything else from him
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Jul 21, 2010,
Page 1 of 2