Hey MT, felt like this would be the best place to come to.

So I'm approaching my senior year of high school and of course I'm having trouble deciding what to do. Right now I'm studying under my uncles friend who plays a lot a jazz gigs around the city. I'm doing this so I can be prepared for majoring in music. It's going well and at the moment I'm sure I could into a decent program but my problem is jazz. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love jazz, but I fear only playing jazz for the duration of college. I listen and play about a bit of everything (including electronica with my pc) and I just wanna find something thats more contemporary and allows me to express music , if that makes sense. I though about Berklee but I've heard good and bad things about the school and I'm just overall unsure of it right now. Does anyone have any advice for me and my situation because I know in my heart that music is my calling and it would be wrong to not pursue it when I have the chance.
My advice? Don't be a music major in college. Study something with more real world application and job market and do music on the side. Even if music is your true calling, there are not many jobs in it. But any legitimate university will have tons of terrific musical outlets for students and non-students alike. Trust me on this.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I know that music isn't well paying ftw, my uncle goes over to Asia every year cause work at home is stagnant. I see your in school and I'm guessing you play guitar since your on here. How did you choose what to go in? Did you do it so you can have a secured job or was it something you were interested in?
Quote by KnownUnknown
I know that music isn't well paying ftw, my uncle goes over to Asia every year cause work at home is stagnant. I see your in school and I'm guessing you play guitar since your on here. How did you choose what to go in? Did you do it so you can have a secured job or was it something you were interested in?

I found a balance in both. There are a lot of interesting things to study that have careers attached to them, so chances are you can find one you like.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I SORT OF agree with Guitarsftw. I'm a double major, music being one of them. I would recommend doubling or minoring in music instead. When it comes down to it, what you major in isn't terribly important but it does have influence on your future career options. And most music depts that I have come across aren't closed minded to only jazz or classical. At least not the guitar instructors themselves. I play in our jazz band and orch so I mean, all I play for those is classical and jazz. My lessons however are quite open ended and my juries and performances are all in my own style.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 21, 2010,
If you're considering getting a degree from a University, it's mostly going to be classical and they'll be some jazz programs around too (or potentially just a few ensembles). There's usually no problem in mixing those two, but to find a university setting with the actual study of anything other than classical or jazz is going to be impossible. You might find a contemporary ensemble, but that's usually not rock or that kind of thing, it's typically really out there music leaning towards modern classical music. At least from what I've seen in my research. If you are looking at more modern stuff, perhaps look into a playing college. They're usually a two year program that's pretty intense where it's a lot of playing and very cut-throat. Those are more modern and they study a lot of popular music styles and jazz as well. They're basically a certificate program (no degree) that prepares you for a life as a session musician. A guy in New York who's gone through one of these programs (especially a bass player) rarely goes hungry if he's willing to do it all. So that's one other option.

My advice is to do a little thinking. Music is a tough road and odds are you won't be able to do what you dreamt of doing in it. But people have this strange idea that there aren't any jobs out there, but there are a lot of weird music related jobs that maybe aren't so obvious. My friend knows a guy who's a music copyist (basically a proof-reader) for a notation company and makes a decent buck, for instance. That aside, I think if you want to do something you love doing and you have the opportunity to do it, do it. It's not pragmatic advice and it's not smart advice and it's certainly not advice you should be considering from a guy who's only a year ahead of you on the journey, but I believe in doing what you want to do not what you should do.
TS, Im sorry, but if your going into your senior year and you dont already know the names, teachers, and audition dates of 10 colleges you want to go to, majoring in music probably isnt for you
I completely disagree. I didn't even know what focus I was going into or which schools I wanted to apply to at the beginning of last year (senior) and I still applied and successfully auditioned. And to be fair, I still don't know most of who my teachers will be this year. What does that comment even mean? Auditions are typically in mid to late year so he's got all of summer to figure this stuff out. I'm not sure when application deadlines are in the states, but up here they're usually around January as well. Who said you have to have your life figured out by junior year?
Quote by tubatom868686
TS, Im sorry, but if your going into your senior year and you dont already know the names, teachers, and audition dates of 10 colleges you want to go to, majoring in music probably isnt for you

I disagree completely. Knowing about schools has nothing to do with his ability to major in music. His ability to find a school he really loves, maybe. But if you can nail an audition, you can go places.
If you're considering getting a degree from a University, it's mostly going to be classical and they'll be some jazz programs around too (or potentially just a few ensembles). There's usually no problem in mixing those two, but to find a university setting with the actual study of anything other than classical or jazz is going to be impossible. You might find a contemporary ensemble, but that's usually not rock or that kind of thing, it's typically really out there music leaning towards modern classical music. At least from what I've seen in my research. If you are looking at more modern stuff, perhaps look into a playing college. They're usually a two year program that's pretty intense where it's a lot of playing and very cut-throat. Those are more modern and they study a lot of popular music styles and jazz as well. They're basically a certificate program (no degree) that prepares you for a life as a session musician. A guy in New York who's gone through one of these programs (especially a bass player) rarely goes hungry if he's willing to do it all. So that's one other option.

I guess youve never heard of Belmont UNIVERSITY or the UNIVERSITY of Southern California or the UNIVERSITY of Miami.
Id look into Berklee and the other programs I mentioned for contemporary music. Also apply to a few (not highly competitive) university jazz programs if you can get a handle on some jazz and a few liberal arts schools that don't audition. You don't need to play jazz to study music anymore. Id also get on finding out audition requirements and making your list NOW as you need to spend time preparing repetoire and senior year is crazy as it is.