So, i am a bassist and i want to start a band soon. My two favorite bands are rise against and breaking benjamin and i want to (atleast try) and form a band that is kind of a mix up of the two. What qualities from each band do you think i should take? I can write songs (lyrically, i also write lyrics) that sound like them seperatly, but how do you think i could make something that sounds like them both? Im getting guitarpro 6 soon so the actual music consept will come later. Thanks for the advice, and please, dont come and spam how either of these bands suck. I like them and you dont have to, so if your just gonna judge then please go away.
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
You're*
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Im not trying to sound just like them, of course i want to put my own style in there as well. But i enjoy playing stuff like both of them and i want to try and make a sound that comes from both, since they are two different genres, i want something that sounds good from that, i just dont know what though.
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Quote by NOTAFOX
Im not trying to sound just like them, of course i want to put my own style in there as well. But i enjoy playing stuff like both of them and i want to try and make a sound that comes from both, since they are two different genres, i want something that sounds good from that, i just dont know what though.

I repeat:

Play what you think sounds good. Your style will already be influenced by what you like to listen to, you won't have to try.
The dancing German cow has a point. Also, and I don't mean to preach about free software, but you should at least try the free tab software Tuxguitar. It does most of what GP can, and can even open GP files. Anyway, as CoreysMonster said, just write what you think sounds good and your influences will show through. After all, no one knows what you like better than you.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Learn their songs, practice them and study how the guitarists play, unless you're a drummer or some shit. It's not that hard.

CoreysMonster is right though. You don't want to copy what other people sound like. Unless you plan to join a cover band, I guess. If you want to write your own music, theny you definitely don't want to sound like another band... what's the point?
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Jul 21, 2010,
Im a bassist, as i said before, but thanks.

I have tried tuxguitar before and for some reason it wont work for me. Like there wont be any sound

And i just mean i am influensed by them, i dont want to sound exactly like them

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Don't try and do anything like that, it'll become formulaic. Write music inspired by anything you like, by all means try and emulate anything you particularly like about those bands, but above all else do what the song needs. If it turns out completely different to what you originally wanted to do, that's fine as long as it sounds better that way.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
If you are influenced by them, it will show in your playing anyway.

Anyway, don't go into a band with an idea of what other band you want to sound like, otherwise you will end up trying to hard and it will sound lame, its much better to make something of your own.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.