Have a look at the timbers available on this site:
http://www.afttimbers.com/productsindex2.htm

If you were building a Marshall 18W combo with a timber finish that would look at home as a piece of furniture (ie, it will never leave the house and be in the lounge room exclusively) what would you use?

I'm leaning towards Mahogany or Jarrah. I prefer dark timbers btw. Jarrah is an Australian timber and I like the idea of using a native timber but I'm not religious about that sort of thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Woah, that place has a huge selection. In Kelowna, the best place has only 14 or so.

My advice to you:
Mahogany is way to heavy. Even for household amp use. Just go for plywood, birch plywood is my preferation, and then put mahogany veneer over it. Save cash and your back.

If I had to choose from those, I'd say Teak.
I like teak. It's nice.
My Auntie owns a boat, all the wood on it is Teak. Doors and everything. Beautiful boat too.
..I was watching my death.
It will actually be a piece of furniture so weight isn't an issue. It won't be your standard amp shape. Some of it will be turned on the lathe so I want real furniture timber. Think more furniture that could become an heirloom rather than guitar amp.
Teak is an interesting idea, I hadn't considered that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what other furniture is in the room it's going in?

and mind sharing your plans a bit more? cause this sounds super interesting, and not really like anything people on here have done/thought of before

since I dunno what shape or anything you're doing, I"ll just say what woods I'd love to see used in the cabinet of a typical shaped head..
I think it'd be sweet to make most of it out of a medium dark-ish wood, like mahogany or something.
then for the faceplate and back cover, use something lighter in colour with really defined parallel grain (like a bamboo veneer or some nice spruce), and have it with the grain running vertically
The rest of the furniture doesn't matter, it's all op-shop stuff. This is to be the centrepiece of the room. If it makes the rest of my furniture look like shit then so be it, it is shit. If I'd thought of it in time I would have told a friend to keep his eye out for an antique I could modify when he was in the UK taking advantage of hungry people selling their old heirlooms for tuppence.

OK, I'll let you in on it. It's a coffee table. The idea is to have a glass top with the valves clearly visible underneath.
It's an idea that came out of stoner talk. You know?
"Hey man wouldn't it be great if we could just plug into the coffee table and jam?"
"Yeah man. And imagine it was some sick amp like an 18W Marshall?"
"Too cool man, you gotta do it. Now pass the bong."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 21, 2010,
Oh, I get it now!
I thought you meant the cab would be like a piece of furniture. Not literally a piece of furniture. I get it.
..I was watching my death.