I've been looking at the Dot for a while. However, either I will be mail-ordering one or getting my grandparents to buy it, and bring it up soon, from Long & McQuade.

Should there be anything I should be looking for right away? I will NOT have the chance to look it over, and L&M have a 30 day return policy. They have a banner saying, "We only get the best quality guitars" or some other thing on their website, but this could be complete BS. From what I've heard, its usually Epiphone's fault, so I'm not really blaming the store.

I'm thinking I should be checking the pots, possibly bring it in to my guitar store, check the neck, frets, dead frets, wood blemishes, buzzing. Anything else? I'm slightly paranoid about this whole thing. I'm not going to drive 8-9 hours across half a province just to try out a guitar.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
play the guitar.

i'd start there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I cannot go to the physical store. Its like a 9 hour drive, and I can't go by myself.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Buy it mail order if it sucks take it back.

This is what I'm going to do. I just need to know what I should be looking for that would make a guitar "suck", then mail it back if it does.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Oh okay, check the action and intonation if you know how to do that (if not there is pretty good threads on those subjects floating around if you search) Then electronics; do pickups work? in phase? do the pots make noise? does the jack look secure? You could check the finish as its possible they will let you return it if the finish is flawed. Check if it stays in tune aswell.
SMILE!
Alright. I'm sure i'll be able to check how stable the tuning is, I have 30 days.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I cannot go to the physical store. Its like a 9 hour drive, and I can't go by myself.

i meant order it. get it, play it. and if you don't notice any problems then fine.

if you notice problems then post about those problems.

asking what might be wrong with a guitar you haven't touched or seen yet, makes no sense.

anything might be wrong or nothing might be wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

It's a great guitar; a great value.

Keep in mind that it will likely need a set-up when you get it, so even a little fret buzz is not necessarily the sign of a problem. I learned how to set mine up, and it plays very well. It stays in tune, and the intonation is good. The action is just right. When I first got it, there was just a little bit of fret buzz on the two lowest strings at the 5th - 7th frets. A quarter turn on the truss rod fixed that, and all is well.

Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3
Quote by jj1565
i meant order it. get it, play it. and if you don't notice any problems then fine.

if you notice problems then post about those problems.

asking what might be wrong with a guitar you haven't touched or seen yet, makes no sense.

anything might be wrong or nothing might be wrong.

Ok, sorry Jenny. I'll let you know if anything is "off". I'll be ordering it today, most likely.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
yeah, anything serious, like cracks or broken pot, you'll see right off.

anything else will become evident over the days that follow. most are simple set up issues.

only a few problems can't be adjusted away.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

So, if I brought it in to my local shop guy, and got it set up, would that violate the return policy? If something happened to go wrong with it?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
no you wouldn't. but i would

1. ask here first before tossing away $50 on an action adjustment.

2. expect that anything wrong with the guitar would be evident when played.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok, just ordered it, should be here friday. I give it a look over, then ask my local tech to give it a look, then i'll try lowering the action, put some strap locks on her, and it should be good to go. Expect a NGD thread.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
ok, but you might not need, or want to bring it to a tech and / or lower the action.

did you ever hear the expression, Putting The Cart Before the Horse?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yes, true, I should have put it if need be . Hopefully its just like I want it to be.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive