i wanna know what u guys think abt this:

Ddom7, Gdom7, Cmaj7, Fmaj7, F#min7, Gmaj7, and then restarts. i've never really made an original jazz progression before, its usually just 251 or 36251 in just one key, and then i'd change the key for a different part of the song. so who thinks this is a good progression?
Just looking at it, it appears to have potential. Try adding some alterations on it. That'll start to give it some color
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
its voiced the easiest way i knew to voice it. all the roots are on the low E string
Turn it into a backing track yo!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
http://www.mediafire.com/?exj7lzw3mrwn4bh

I took those chords, and threw this together quickly with anvil studio just to try and see how those chords would sound together

@_@ i am still a beginner at guitar, so there was no way i could of played that on guitar itself.

and my musical knowledge is limited basicly all i really know is how to read sheet music in the alto clef since i played the viola in orchestra ever since the 3rd grade, all the teachers i had in the schools though, were too busy trying to keep the rest of the students in check, for every 1 student like myself who actually watned to learn something about music, there were 10 more that where just there to cause chaos

so basicly....my musical knowledge is a jumbled mess, it is pretty much basicly knowning how to read sheet msuic, a few of my scales, and a couple of songs(all of which for the most part i only know how to play...on viola....)

still though, I can take that midi program Anvil studio, and if i'm given something to start with, i can basicly mess around with it and come up with *SOMETHING* that sounds "decent" if it only does to me :C

i really really need some guidance to help me with my limited musical knowledge.....
Quote by Link500
http://www.mediafire.com/?exj7lzw3mrwn4bh

I took those chords, and threw this together quickly with anvil studio just to try and see how those chords would sound together

@_@ i am still a beginner at guitar, so there was no way i could of played that on guitar itself.

and my musical knowledge is limited basicly all i really know is how to read sheet music in the alto clef since i played the viola in orchestra ever since the 3rd grade, all the teachers i had in the schools though, were too busy trying to keep the rest of the students in check, for every 1 student like myself who actually watned to learn something about music, there were 10 more that where just there to cause chaos

so basicly....my musical knowledge is a jumbled mess, it is pretty much basicly knowning how to read sheet msuic, a few of my scales, and a couple of songs(all of which for the most part i only know how to play...on viola....)

still though, I can take that midi program Anvil studio, and if i'm given something to start with, i can basicly mess around with it and come up with *SOMETHING* that sounds "decent" if it only does to me :C

i really really need some guidance to help me with my limited musical knowledge.....

i clicked on that and it told me to download something, i might do that later but im just really lazy right now haha sry.
expanding on your musical knowledge isn't that hard, and you'd be surprised how many great-sounding musicians there are who really don't know shit about music theory. all you need to know to be 1 of those people is the major scale, then you can pick random chords out of a random key (if it sounds good to you) and play some kind of single-note melody composed of notes in that key (again, as long as it sounds god, random notes aren't always great), and then you know as much as kurt cobain and a ton more than omar rodriguez.

if you want to actually be a theory guru though, you have to get a cheese-load of books, that's all i've learned from, just a boat-load of hal leonard books. check out the "at a glance" series because you can choose a cheap book for exaclty what you want to learn (jazz, metal, country, blues, scales and modes, beginning guitar, lead guitar, acoustic guitar). formal teachers teach guitar strangely. from my experience with formal teachers, they just throw scales at you and don't tell you how to use them.
the best way to learn guitar tho, in my opinion, is from someone who has taken a lot of formal lessons and is very well-trained, but who isn't a formal guitar teacher, just someone who'se a friend of your's. those kind of people will teach you everything you can learn from a formal teacher, but they'll explain how to use it all in more practical situations.
^^Actually, there's a ton you can learn from this site. That's pretty much where I've learned most of my theory (although it doesn't hurt that I take lessons from a Berklee [sp?] educated jazz musician).
^They don't have to be Berklee educated. I took lessons from a jazz guy who wasn't even the most theoretical guy in the world and I was still shown amazing things.

And TS, that progression felt like it needed a bit more space, especially after the F#m7 arp.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 22, 2010,