So I just read Lord Of The Rings again. I must admit that I find all of Tolkien's work amazing and I love the world tha he has created.

Unfortunately, I've read all of his books (LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin...).

What other authors are there thta have written similar books to LOTR? I need something with a huge world and unbelievable imagination.

I checked out Eragon and didn't much like it.

Harry Potter is also nothing compared to Tokien's world...

Any suggestions?

The best fantasy book (Tolkien aside) that I have read in the past years, was a bookt hat my friend wrote (very much inspired by Tolkien though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Jul 21, 2010,
The Bible

Edit: OT, I'm not much of a reader so I don't really know maybe.....Discworld - Terry Pratchett?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Jul 21, 2010,
A Song Of Ice And Fire is a better series than LOTR.
------------------
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
There are three trilogies, only ever read the first.
Like LOTR, but a hell of a lot more depressing, and features the real world in places. If I'm honest, I've never liked them that much, but I have a friend who swears by them.

If you're looking for a massive back-story sort of thing, try Ian M Banks's Culture novels. They're sci-fi, but there is a huge back-story there. Just takes a bit of thinking to read them, that's all.
UG and Sporcle are both fantastic time wasting devices.
Try the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch - excellent series that looks to be about 7 books long once it's finished.
Sara Douglass - check out the Axis Trilogy and such. Great author.

Oh and I second the Ian M. Banks suggestion. Even if you think you don't like sci-fi, if you're into high fantasy you should like his books.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Last edited by Scout1011 at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by Birdy266
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall

I've never really gotten into them but I've heard create this from it.
This was my childhood. I read one of these a day until I finished the entire goddamn series.

Hmmm, the Wizard of Earthsea? I remember reading that as a child thinking it was pretty kickass.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Read Magician by Raymond E. Feist - awesome book and beginning of a trilogy. There are also other books set later down the timeline in the same world, which is cool.

Also, Robert Jordan writes some pretty decent fantasy novels - the Wheel of Time series springs to mind, although it is enormous!

Edit: Gah, ninja'd on the Robert Jordan front.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
Terry Brook's Shannara series

there's a lot of books in each of those series, but good god they are grand.
Sail upon the open skies
Coheed and Cambria.
Read the novel, then the comics, then pay close attention to the lyrics and watch as an entire epic unfolds before your very eyes and ears.

Actually im not sure if you could get the Year of the Black Rainbow book without pre-ordering it, but it is very good.
...In my opinion.
Quote by dannyboy1992
The magician trilogy by Raymond E Feist.

And the whole span of books after it

This, but only up as far as Exile's Return. They've been getting progressively worse since then. The last book in the Darkwar trilogy was so bad I haven't dared to read anything after it.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Anything by HP Lovecraft. His universe is huge.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Coheed & Cambrias "Year of the Black Rainbow" was much much better than I had ever imagined. I thought the writing in it was great and it just grabbed me in.

Plus they just released a softcover of it for only 18 bucks.

If I needed some summer reading I would read it again.

Oh and one last thing. If you are wanting to just get into the band and their story, this is a great place to start.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Check out Terry Goodkind. First book in the series is called Wizards First Rule.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
The Kingdoms of Thorn And Bone - Greg Keyes
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
Terry Brook's Shannara series
Raymond E. Feist's Riftworld series
Star Wars

btw, don't take this the wrong way, but we have a book thread.
Quote by Eccer
The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

/thread

This

although i prefer ASOIAF as the story is more badass, brutal and intriguing, WoT is really good to.
Not quite the same but the Discworld series is amazing.

Quote by bowdowntomono
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
There are three trilogies, only ever read the first.
Like LOTR, but a hell of a lot more depressing, and features the real world in places. If I'm honest, I've never liked them that much, but I have a friend who swears by them.

My mates been reading the first book for a few years now, even though he loves it he just can't bring himself to carry on.
Last edited by SG_dave at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Mky
A Song Of Ice And Fire is a better series than LOTR.

I agree. Martin is an incredible author.

Another one you may enjoy is the Fionavar Tapestry series by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Hi, I'm Peter