Hey everyone my band has recently kinda started to take off and we're playing more regular shows in our area! A good friend of mine is going to sell me his JCM2000 for a good price since im short on cash (broke college kid ) The only thing I need now is a cab. I'm thinkin of going with a mesa, but I have no experience with bigger amps and what sounds good with what. I'm also 2 hours away from the closest guitar center so I want to know exactly what to try out when I get there/make the most of the trip. I'm not looking for death metal brutal tone, more of a combo of Underoath/Every Time I Die meets As I Lay Dying. I want some good tight punch for heavier sections of the music , but I don't want it to be complete sonic destruction in the more melodic parts.

Also I'm not entirely sure of the tubes he has in it right now, but if anyone knows a good setup for a good metal tone let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
If you're on a budget maybe check out Avatar cabs, they have a good reputation around here
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
One thing to bear in mind is that the 2000's don't have the gain you are looking to get out of the box. You will defiantly need a pedal to kick the 2000 into the territory you want. It kind of gets there on its own but looses all clarity in the process. Sadly for me I don't like using pedals for gain as I have yet come across a pedal that doesn't detriment the tone of the amp to my ears so my DSL100 had to go.

I used to run mine into an Engl standard cab w Celestion V60's and it was okay but a bit spikey on the highs. Out of all thr cabs I tried I thought it sounded best through a Marshall cab, i tried it on a mode 4 cab with Celestion G12 100ks and loved the focus those speakers give. the 1936 and 1960 cab I tried sounded crunchy, middy and raw which nicely complimented the amp, but it was in no way suited for metal.

I think the 2000s are nice amps but not suited to the genre you want to use it for, hard rock at most is where I'd peg the 2000's.

I dont want to put a downer on your plans but I was looking for similar levels of gain a tonal quality not a million miles away and the DSL100 I had did not cut it and it was flipped in 3 months.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by halikus
One thing to bear in mind is that the 2000's don't have the gain you are looking to get out of the box. You will defiantly need a pedal to kick the 2000 into the territory you want, it kind of gets there but looses all clarity in the process. Sadly for me I don't like using pedals for gain as I have yet come across a pedal that doesn't detriment the tone of the amp to my ears so my DSL100 had to go.

I used to run mine into an Engl standard cab w Celestion V60's and it was okay but a bit spikey on the highs. Out of all thr cabs I tried I thought it sounded best through a Marshall cab, i tried it on a mode 4 cab with Celestion G12 100ks and loved the focus those speakers give. the 1936 and 1960 cab I tried sounded crunchy, middy and raw which nicely complimented the amp, but it was in no way suited for metal.

I think the 2000s are nice amps but not suited to the genre you want to use it for, hard rock at most is where I'd peg the 2000's.

I dont want to put a downer on your plans but I was looking for similar levels of gain a tonal quality not a million miles away and the DSL100 I had did not cut it and it was flipped in 3 months.
That's not to say that with an OD it can't do metal though, especially since TS says he can get it cheap. To stay on topic an Orange PPC or a Marshall 1960a is fine, but Avatar is a good budget option and very good quality
Quote by AxSilentxLine
That's not to say that with an OD it can't do metal though, especially since TS says he can get it cheap. To stay on topic an Orange PPC or a Marshall 1960a is fine, but Avatar is a good budget option and very good quality

Indeed it can get there with an OD, Matt from Trivium used to use a DSL100 with an MXR GTOD at times and that got way into metal.

As I say it just was not an option for me as I dont have any local stores and blind buying OD's is generally a bad idea as its very hard to know how an amp will react to a pedal. My sachurator sounded great through the DSL, loads of different tones at all gain levels through the clean channel and good a a solo boost for lead on the dirty channel. Put the same pedal into another amp and its just nasty, through my Diezel I cant find a single tone that adds something to the Einy's stellar tones.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Jul 21, 2010,