I'm looking to get into recording some time in the near future, and I'm going to be buying a new laptop before I do. I just want something basic to get decent quality home recordings. My question is this: for recording, would I be better off getting a PC or a mac. This is really the deciding factor in me getting a computer atm, as both do everything else I want fairly well.

Thank-you.
Past fan boy haters, And OS supremisists, Just go with whichever your more comfortable... it wont actually make a difference tbh >.<
Well all Macs come with Garageband so...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
i dont think it particularly matters, there will be decent software out for both of them. A windows PC is bound to be compatible with more programs, but either OS should be fine
*cough* you could just save big wads of cash, buy a windows pc and "Acquire" recording software *cough*
Even if mac is a bit more reliable and stable it's not in any way worth to pay for it. Half the price is just it beeing a mac so I would go with a nice PC.

A question: How will you record? with an external interface and a mic or will you just use the built in mic to do crap-recordings?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
no u can get a mac, because on mac, something on it called bootcamp lets u put on windows. so ull have 2 computers in 1. thats what i have. its beast. go look it up, its called boot camp.
Well if you really want to get into it, with a bit of technical know-how, he could go out and buy a pc... And tri-boot Windows-Linux-And a copy of OSX86 >.>

Not to mention saving a couple hundred £ in the process
Don't go Mac. There's no reason to and for the person who said Garage Band, that program is a joke. Get a PC and buy some serious recording software.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by Ailiox
Well if you really want to get into it, with a bit of technical know-how, he could go out and buy a pc... And tri-boot Windows-Linux-And a copy of OSX86 >.>

The worth of a Mac isn't in it's OS though is it? Tbh though TS, if you're "just getting into recording" the cheaper, more versatile windows laptop will be your best option and I don't really think anyone can argue with that.

If you were more serious about it then the Mac would be a contender but as it is, a windows laptop is going to be more use to you if you decide you don't like recording.
Quote by backtothe70s
A question: How will you record? with an external interface and a mic or will you just use the built in mic to do crap-recordings?

I'll be getting an external interface and a mic. Wouldn't dream of using the built-in mic.
Quote by piop
The worth of a Mac isn't in it's OS though is it? Tbh though TS, if you're "just getting into recording" the cheaper, more versatile windows laptop will be your best option and I don't really think anyone can argue with that.

If you were more serious about it then the Mac would be a contender but as it is, a windows laptop is going to be more use to you if you decide you don't like recording.

Thats all i hear from fan-boys... The famed "Easy to use and super stable" OS, Firewire (to which you could go buy an adaptor...) :3 Oh yeah, and mac user's "Can't" get a virus? amiright? >.>
I'd say PC, it'd just let you get more programs and be a bit easier to work with. Plus you wouldn't be paying for a ridiculously overpriced computer. The price difference between a great computer and average mac would allow you to get great recording software.
Quote by Ailiox
Thats all i hear from fan-boys... The famed "Easy to use and super stable" OS, Firewire (to which you could go buy an adaptor...) :3 Oh yeah, and mac user's "Can't" get a virus? amiright? >.>

Well yes, PCs do have 1394 interfaces so Firewire isn't a valid defence for paying the extra for a Mac.

I also think maybe many people in this thread have got the wrong end of the stick about what TS wants. He did specify that it would be a laptop and I do find many windows laptops to be lacking compared to Mac books. That being said, for a hobbyist they'll be fine.
Quote by Ailiox
Oh yeah, and mac user's "Can't" get a virus? amiright? >.>

Its pretty much impossible to get a virus on one, Apple release security updates that prevent any suspicious activities every so often and their usually only for harmless tracking cookies,
with the popularity of macs rising though theirs a chance in the future that viruses will appear in the wild.

To the TS: we just had a topic on this last week, check through the recent topics
Quote by piop

...and if you decides to use it for more than just recording and net-surfing and save money, you can get a very good piece of software for the shitload you save.
Wow, this thread is so full of fail it wins......oh my.

What do you predominantly use day to day? Mac or PC?

What interface and software are you planning to use?

Mac is not necessarily more stable or anything, it is just a standard by which Pro's go by because you buy it, and it works. Now, regarding this, 90% of those pro's are using Pro Tools, which is essentially programmed around the 8-10 different Mac computer configurations at that given time, and that's why it is more stable in that sense (unless you know what you are doing with building PC's)

My desktop cost me $1200 and it puts to shame the i5 Mac Pro's.

I also want to note that you are buying a laptop and this will make a difference as well.

Guaranteed with any laptop, having the power plugged in will give you noise in your recordings.

It comes down to a lot more than just mac vs pc.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Wow, this thread is so full of fail it wins......oh my.

What do you predominantly use day to day? Mac or PC?

What interface and software are you planning to use?

Mac is not necessarily more stable or anything, it is just a standard by which Pro's go by because you buy it, and it works. Now, regarding this, 90% of those pro's are using Pro Tools, which is essentially programmed around the 8-10 different Mac computer configurations at that given time, and that's why it is more stable in that sense (unless you know what you are doing with building PC's)

My desktop cost me $1200 and it puts to shame the i5 Mac Pro's.

I also want to note that you are buying a laptop and this will make a difference as well.

Guaranteed with any laptop, having the power plugged in will give you noise in your recordings.

It comes down to a lot more than just mac vs pc.

Thank-you very much, a properly helpful responce.

I've always used Windows really, pretty much since Windows 3.0.

I have no idea yet, I have no clue about any of this yet. That's what my next thread was going to be about once I got the money for the gear. I don't want something that I'm going to have to pay through the nose for, just something that I can get good quality recordings with. Not professional quality, just good.

I figured something like that would happen with a laptop. However I need to get a laptop as I need to carry it between home and university every day. If I don't have the power plugged in, will there still be alot of noise?

I think that I'm probably going to end up going with a windows, as there is something else I would like it to do that isn't supported by macs.

Thank-you again
Quote by robhc
Thank-you very much, a properly helpful responce.

I've always used Windows really, pretty much since Windows 3.0.

I have no idea yet, I have no clue about any of this yet. That's what my next thread was going to be about once I got the money for the gear. I don't want something that I'm going to have to pay through the nose for, just something that I can get good quality recordings with. Not professional quality, just good.

I figured something like that would happen with a laptop. However I need to get a laptop as I need to carry it between home and university every day. If I don't have the power plugged in, will there still be alot of noise?

I think that I'm probably going to end up going with a windows, as there is something else I would like it to do that isn't supported by macs.

Thank-you again

Being that it isn't just a recording only computer, I am going to suggest a windows based laptop as you will get much more performance per dollar in that regard.

Good quality can be achieved with home studio equipment. If you are looking to record a full band, you will need an 8-input interface, but if its just yourself with a guitar, or vocals, you could get by with a 2-input USB interface. An M-Audio fast track may fit the bill quite nicely.

The hissing will go away once the computer is unplugged from the wall and running on battery life, however be careful because with laptops, once you unplug them from a wall, they throttle back the CPU and RAM speed as to save battery life. You can of course change this, however will likely only get 40-50 minutes of life.

All in all, I think a windows based system is your best bet. Especially if you are doing more than just recording on it, and have been using a PC all your life. Plus, if you're going to do any gaming at all...gaming performance on Mac's sucks (that's a fact fanboys not just a blanket statement....a proven fact)

Hope you enjoy man, and keep asking questions! Be glad to help!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
That decision depends on you. I have used both PC and Mac. You just have to hold down a button and click for a right click. but that does not matter. What does matter is the type of hardware you get to do your recording and the software that you use to record. A computer is just the unit. (a medium per say)
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
I think a bigger concern here is the fact that nearly all laptops have hard drives that run at 5400 rpm. This is a choice made by manufacturers as a decent compromise between performance and battery life. A 7200 (or more) rpm hard drive will beat the crap out of your battery in no time flat. (even faster than it does now!!)

Why do we care about hard drive rpm? Because this, over any other factor will determine how many tracks you'll be able to record and play back at one time.

Generally speaking:

hard disk speed = # of simultaneous tracks for record/playback
processor = how many effects plugins, etc. you'll be able to use
RAM = how many samples/samplers you'll be able to run at one time

If you can afford a Mac laptop, I would do this for the same price:
-get a PC laptop for school
-get a PC desktop for recording

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.