Let me start out by saying, i own a total of 0 bass amps. I use a guitar amp to practice. But my friend's got a peavey amp, im pretty sure its 50 watts, im going to be playing a show at a small cafe soon, i play with a pick. would this be loud enough to play over drums and with a rather sucky guitarist? (Without damaging the amp too much)
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
If it's a small area, a 50 watt bass amp should work fine.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
the general rule is to have about 2 or 3 times the wattage of your guitarist in order to cut through. never play bass through a guitar amp live because it will be destroyed, its just not designed for handling the frequencies you get in bass, so you will have to get a bass amp
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I don't think that it'll be loud enough. The real problem here is the drummer, not the guitarist, since if the guitar is to loud you can just turn the amp lower. But the drums (if no e-drums) are as loud as they are.
I own a Warwick bass amp with 150 watts and I've problems to come over an acoustic drum sometimes.
As Raizer Sabre already said you should not play through a guitar amp anyways.

Another problem could cause the small speaker that I guess your guitar amp has. To get a good bass sound you'll need a big speaker (minimum 12'').
Quote by Lucas_
I don't think that it'll be loud enough. The real problem here is the drummer, not the guitarist, since if the guitar is to loud you can just turn the amp lower. But the drums (if no e-drums) are as loud as they are.
I own a Warwick bass amp with 150 watts and I've problems to come over an acoustic drum sometimes.
As Raizer Sabre already said you should not play through a guitar amp anyways.

Another problem could cause the small speaker that I guess your guitar amp has. To get a good bass sound you'll need a big speaker (minimum 12'').

I like 10" speakers just fine.

But I agree with everything else
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
yes, the amp should work just fine. I am in a band and my friend that plays bass has a 50-watt and it can still be heard pretty good with guitar and drums playing with the bass. And if you're at a small cafe then you should be good to go.