Title says it all;

How do you play your double stops?
(a double stop is when you play a note and its octave at the same time, like this:

D|----7--6--3--|
A|---------------|
E|----5--4--1--|

If that makes sense)

I mostly pick the lower note with my pick and the upper note with my rude finger, but when I have to play fast I tend to just play it like a chord and then mute the middle string with my left hand.

So what about you guys?
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
That's not a double stop, they're just octaves.

I personally fret with my first and last finger, it's far easier than using my 3rd.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
That's not a double stop, they're just octaves.

I personally fret with my first and last finger, it's far easier than using my 3rd.

Oh, what's a double stop then? I thought those were double stops.

And I use my index finger and little finger as well for fretting the note, but I was more curious of the right hand technique. I mean, whether you pick the notes individually or as a chord with the middle string muted. :p

EDIT:
Just saw you're a bassist. Oh well,
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Last edited by Eskil Rask at Jul 21, 2010,
Those are octaves, I fret the root note with my index, use the pad of my index to mute the string below and then ring finger for the octave. The right hand just strums all three strings.

A double stop is a perfect 4th, (or an inverted power chord) and looks like this:
A||-4-
E||-4-
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
A double stop is a perfect 4th, (or an inverted power chord) and looks like this:
A||-4-
E||-4-

A while this is a double stop, it's not the right definition. A double stop is playing any two notes at the same time. Both an octave and a perfect fourth are technically double stops.
Right. Double stop ("stop" is just an old-time term for "fretting" a note) is just playing two strings at once, common in fiddle and mandolin playing as well. Usually adjacent strings, so they are most often played with a single stroke.
Quote by Eskil Rask
Oh, what's a double stop then? I thought those were double stops.

And I use my index finger and little finger as well for fretting the note, but I was more curious of the right hand technique. I mean, whether you pick the notes individually or as a chord with the middle string muted. :p

EDIT:
Just saw you're a bassist. Oh well,

I'm a guitarist of 10 years too, and a bassist for 5

I do it the same way on guitar also, using my first and 3rd is uncomfortable regardless if I'm on bass or guitar, and I would personally recommend that using your first and last finger is the better way to do it as your hand doesn't become awkwardly shaped.

A double stop is any 2 notes played at the same time, it's not technically a chord. It has to be at least a triad to be a chord (triad = 3 notes).
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jul 21, 2010,
Perfect fourths and octaves (in the way you described) are harmonic intervals.

Back to the original question -
for the octave harmonic interval, I fret the root note with my index finger and the octave with my middle finger. I sort of lean my index finger back a little bit so it mutes the string in the middle, as well as all the other strings down from where my index finger is fretting. Then I strum it.

If you want to play these faster, you'll have to practice your hybrid picking.
Quote by STONESHAKER
for the octave harmonic interval, I fret the root note with my index finger and the octave with my middle finger. I sort of lean my index finger back a little bit so it mutes the string in the middle, as well as all the other strings down from where my index finger is fretting. Then I strum it.

Why would you use your middle finger to fret the octave? Why not just use the pinky or even the ring finger and eliminate the awkward stretch and hand position?

Quote by STONESHAKER
If you want to play these faster, you'll have to practice your hybrid picking.

That's not necessarily always true.
If your muting is good, you can strum them as quick as anything else.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I just use my index finger to mute the middle string since it's already there over it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I mostly pick the lower note with my pick and the upper note with my rude finger, but when I have to play fast I tend to just play it like a chord and then mute the middle string with my left hand.

Exunctly what I do - separate attacks help you differentiate the tones and control accents.
i just find that the notes come out clearer when picked individually with hybrid picking than when strummed with a muted middle string.

so it's not normal to hybrid pick these "harmonic octave intervals"?

Also thanks a lot, Kangaxxter and Bikewer for clearing that out for me :p

Eskil
Quote by Freepower
Who cares if it's normal if it sounds good?

on second thought I guess I meant common. :p I'm Danish so I guess my language isn't impeccable.
I'm far too sloppy to play those types of double stops using hybrid picking at any sort of decent tempo.

But the flip side is that muting the string inbetween and just stumming adds an unwanted percussive effect, and you gotta try to avoid the harmonics.

It's like lose-lose for me. But thanks for reminding me that I need to practice hybrid picking :P
Correction to my above post: I use my index and my ring finger to fret the octave. I have no idea why I wrote middle finger, pardon me, sometimes I lurk on the forums late at night when my brain is foggy.

That's not to say my brain doesn't get foggy during the day either.
Quote by Freepower
... please, read the thread.

Any time you play two notes together, you play a double stop.

ohh now i saw that .. got it now , Thanx man