I've come to be a bit bored with my setup...and overwhelmed with it's size/weight. My main setup is Peavey vb-2 into a peavey 4x12 tvx series. Mostly what's happened is I've gotten very tired of the sound and it's not as versatile as I'd like anymore,as I've been branching into new styles. I'm not as into the big fat sound i get out of this amp anymore. i want something tighter and cleaner. So,basically, i've come to the decision that i want to sell my amp gear and get something completely different.

Gear to be sold:
Peavey vb-2 (fully working with almost brand new E34L power tubes and new JJ preamp tubes)

two peavey tvx412 speaker cabinets.

Peavey tko 65- a 60 watt 1x12 combo amp.

I want this to get close to,if not completely, pay for my new setup. I will only be getting one cab(for now), so i'm leaning toward the 2x12.

Requirements:

Fully giggable(with PA of course)
Versatile. i'm talking country/folk - death metal - disco - jazz - etc.

What i'm currently thinking about getting.

Head(s):

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX1500

Cabinet(s):
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ the 2x12 neo
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BRX10.2NEO

I know these are toward the top of the price range as it's currently set up, but i've been GAS'ing for a bx1200/1500 on and off for years now, so i'm willing to make it work if that's going to put me over budget. thoughts? completely different suggestions(if i get the carvin head the cab must be 4 ohms and capable of handing 450 watts)

EDIT: after reading reviews of the avatar b212 neo I'm pretty set on getting that cab, unless someone can point out something that i'm missing. They all speak of a crisp, clear, punchy, musical tone with a good balance of lows mids and highs.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 21, 2010,
In my experience the VB-2 is a pretty damn versitile amp. Your selection of an Avatar 2x12 is spot on. GREAT cabs. I would hold off on selling the VB-2 untill after i got the cab. As much as i love peavey, their 4x12s (i use one at one of my practice spaces) turn any head into a pretty sterile mess. Not bad if you're using a bunch of effects, but if you're playing clean they leave a lot to be desired.

But yeah, holler if you sell the VB-2, haha. Love those heads.

I play a ton of different styles as well and i've found that having multiple heads is really where it's at. Sorta like basses. I'm also a 'vintage' asshole and none of my heads were made before the early 1980's. The recent stuff has way more tone variance.

IF i wanted a "swiss army head" i would get a Markbass LMII (or III) and a Tech21 VT Bass pedal. With that head and pedal you can reliably cop a TON of tones and have the wattage to push adequate air. What's your budget? A Mesa 400+ or Mesa Big Block 750 would also be good heads for your needs.

Good luck, and another *wink wink nudge nudge* if you decide to sell the VB-2.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Haha. never even thought of just replacing the cab. Thinking back i've only every run the head through my old crate 4x10s(made in usa but still >.> and then this 4x12. Now I'd just have to find someone that wants the 4x12,or both for that matter...or sell it to a store. *shudder*
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Those 4x12's should be pretty easy to unload. I know a few touring doom/beard-o metal bassists that use them.

Like i said, they take pedals well, and for bands like that it's pretty much straight Fuzz/OD, so their sterility is nullified.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
well, bassists are pretty few and far between out here. i'm the only active one within 20miles ....i live in the middle of nowhere >.>
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
well, bassists are pretty few and far between out here. i'm the only active one within 20miles ....i live in the middle of nowhere >.>

fair enough :/

and shipping cabs is a money sink.

Hit up craigslist. You'd be suprized how far people will drive to get a good deal. Also, see if you can do a consignment sale at a local music store.
how would a consignment sale work at a store. it's still technically mine until they sell it? i guess i might be able to get more money out of them that way.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
how would a consignment sale work at a store. it's still technically mine until they sell it? i guess i might be able to get more money out of them that way.

Yep. Basically, you decide how much you want to sell it for and you pay the shop for hosting it. It varies between paying them a flat rate, and paying them a percentage of the final sale. In the end though you make out way better than selling it TO the store.