When I first bought my fat strat, it came with 9-42 strings, and after playing like 2 days, the high e string broke. I bought more of those same 9-42 strings, thinking that it broke originally because they were old, but these new strings lasted like 2 weeks and the high e again snapped during the string bends of november rain. (I switched to half step down tuning for november rain, it broke the next day.. donno if changing the tuning had anything to do with it)

What gauge should I switch to? Would going to light-medium gauge make much difference in string life? Or should I go straight to medium? If I go to medium, would the gauge change be enough that I should get the action readjusted?

(I generally do solos and occasionally hard strumming for ramones)
Last edited by flames649 at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Where exactly did they break? If it broke in the middle, it's cause there was too much tension. If it broke at the saddle, then you tightened them so much that the metal snapped.

It broke almost in the center, it broke around the 8th fret, which was the fret i was bending

(Again, its tuned half step down so i dont think its very tight...)
Quote by WtrPlyr
^Seems very unlikely that it snapped because they snapped because they were too tight. 9's in Eb are pretty floppy.

(scratches head) Then why did they snap? The only time I've had 9's snap on me was when I tried bending a rusted through 1st from F to G#.......
:p

Im using fender nickle plated strings.. donno, maybe they're bad strings?

So should I adjust action and intonation if i switch to 10s?
You can play with heavier gauges if you want but I think you're just either a) doing something wrong or b) using crappy stings.

I've used super lights (9-42) for a while before going (10-46), but I've never broken my super lights before 3-4 months of use and I mostly play thrash metal...

Try some Super Slinky 9-42 and see if those are better. They seem... more pliable to my fingers.
okay i guess I'll try to 9-42 earnie slinky stuff. saves me trouble of adjusting the stuff again at least.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You got a Floyd or a Vintage Trem?

Im not quite sure, i know its not the floyd rose stuff everyone talks about.
I have a squire fender fat strat so probably some really basic one..

But yeah, i think its just the down tuning screwed it up. dont think its my bridge's fault.
Could be a rough fret.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
rough fret,bad string, bent too far...hard to say.
tuning down shouldn't cause breakage you didn't have @ a440.
it's not the saddle or nut but it's good to lubricate the nut anyway.
Squier necks are actually quite good, well some of them.
But if you have a cheap badly made one, it could have a rough/sharp fret, that's probably what it is if the string is always breaking in the same place. If it's breaking in different places, it's either the tension, it could be something really stupid like you're tuning an octave too high haha. Or you're just doing something wrong.

It dosn't sound like it's the saddle or the nut.
And although Fender strings are bad strings (IMO), they shouldn't brake three times in a row.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Hmm... So i might just go sand or put some pencil lead on my middle frets just in case.. I don't think they've been breaking in the same place, but meh, better to be safe.
I would say there could be a burr on the saddle but you are saying its breaking on the 8th, I would switch to 10's and have an intonation done to it to see if that helps. Good luck!!!
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
i ordered some super slinky 9s hopefully they'll be better but they wont be here for a couple of days. The high e is the only string that is missing, the neck wont like warp during these days without the string will it?
Quote by flames649
i ordered some super slinky 9s hopefully they'll be better but they wont be here for a couple of days. The high e is the only string that is missing, the neck wont like warp during these days without the string will it?

So long as the rest are there, no. The high E takes very little of the tension- the low E and A strings take most of the brunt.