My guitar is in standard tuning according to the tuner but when i pluck my low E string it says E2 when it should say E1. Does this mean I should tune it a bit lower?
It should say E3... but... I don't know.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
The 1 or 2 isn't a string number, if that's what you're thinking. It's telling you which octave the note is in, so E2 is one octave above E1, and one octave below E3.

I'm pretty sure E2 is the correct octave for the low E string of a guitar, so E4 will be the correct tuning for the high E string.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Fj785
My guitar is in standard tuning according to the tuner but when i pluck my low E string it says E2 when it should say E1. Does this mean I should tune it a bit lower?

what kind of tuner? if it's a boss TU-80 than it doesn't matter. As long as you're tuned it to the correct note, the number below isn't important.
Quote by kangaxxter
what kind of tuner? if it's a boss TU-80 than it doesn't matter. As long as you're tuned it to the correct note, the number below isn't important.

I've got a TU-80. It's sometimes inaccurate. When I tuned my G string it sounded too high but my tuner claimed it was the correct pitch.
it really doesn't matter. As long as it's the right note, you're good to go. The reason it may read a different octave is because the harmonic overtones can confuse the tuner sometimes. Low E is composed of many natural harmonics, including the octave harmonics which are very strong and present in it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.