so i got an ibanez grg270 a while back and its the first time im using a floyd rose style bridge. so my question is if i use the whammy bar a lot so can the bridge break? and someone told me i cant tune to drop d without using at least a 10 gauge is that true?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yes, anything below E with 9's= more buzz than a chainsaw.

FALSE, i go to drop d all the time with 9's just make sure that you tune all of the strings not just the low e otherwise you will have all the strings slightly sharp.
Quote by shaad17
so i got an ibanez grg270 a while back and its the first time im using a floyd rose style bridge.

GRGs come with Floyds now? *checks* Wow, their only guitar with an actual Floyd and not an Edge.

so my question is if i use the whammy bar a lot so can the bridge break?

Unless you're actually TRYING to break the bridge, then no. You will need to re-adjust it from time to time, but that can be said for any frequently-used guitar component.

and someone told me i cant tune to drop d without using at least a 10 gauge is that true?

I can tell you're obviously a beginner, so I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible:

String gauge is completely subjective on most other guitars. Go with what feels right for you. Try with your current gauge, and see if it works.

BUT...

Changing string gauges or tuning on a Floyd Rose WILL require you to do some extra setup, usually just by tightening or loosening the springs on the back of the guitar, under the plastic panel. If you're not sure how to adjust it, take it to a guitar store and ask someone there what you need to do.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by rickyj
FALSE, i go to drop d all the time with 9's just make sure that you tune all of the strings not just the low e otherwise you will have all the strings slightly sharp.

Funny, going to Drop C results in the 1st, 2nd and 6th strings being rendered totally unusable......what type strings are you using? This happened on DDario ProSteels.....