I'm trying to see if there is anything I can buy for under $600 for a guitar and an amp... I play mostly metalcore, so I think EMG is a neccesity... To get a guitar with EMGs and a decent amp just doesn't seem plausible...
you probably wont find a guitar for that price with EMG's if you also need an amp, but luckily for you EMG's are far from necessary in any situation. It's all about personal preference. There are plenty of other great pickups that will get you the sound you're looking for.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
What other suggestions do you have for pick ups? When I try guitars out the EMGs just seem to have exactly what I am looking for.
For Pick ups SD Blackouts are pretty similar but from what i've heard they have better cleans.
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
there are ltd guitars out there with the emg 60/61 combo for around the $600 price make. you would have to save up for an amp afterwards
To be honest, you'd be better off saving for longer so you can buy the gear you really want. Not gear you make do with.

It's SO much more rewarding that way and you end up with the gear you want
Quote by xanubisx
there are ltd guitars out there with the emg 60/61 combo for around the $600 price make. you would have to save up for an amp afterwards

That would leave me with a useless guitar for quite some time.
I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the current budget gear so I'll refrain from commenting on specific guitars and amps for the moment. All I'll say is if this is your first guitar, for right now I wouldn't be too concerned about finding a guitar with EMG's. I would suggest getting something that is well built, suits the kind of music you want to play and above all is comfortable. Also, your amp makes up the majority of your tone so don't skimp on it.

Maybe look at some humbucker equipped Schecter's and Ibanez's and maybe a Peavey Vypyr for an amp. Avoid Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MG's.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The problem is, while it is a first guitar. I've played bass for years, and obviously have played around with the guitars of friends/band mates. Instead of a being a newbie with no sense of direction, I already know the sound I want to have and the pick ups that can provide that sound. I also know the amps that best compliment the sound. However, my budget does not comply. I really wanted to get a hellraiser deluxe and a 6505, unfortunately I don't have a grand... So i'm trying to see if I can get something with a similar sound for less money.
The Bugera 333XL head gives a real nice metalcore sound. Plus it's £420 as opposed to the £900 of the 6505+.

For £600 you are either going to get a guitar or an amp, not both. Unless you look real hard for some nice second hand kit and get lucky with the price.

Look at Ibanez RG's, Jackson Dinky's and ESP LTD's as they will more likely end up in your price range.

I have a Jackson DKMG and I played my friends Bugera 333 head (not the XL one) and I got a real nice Metal tone out of it with minimal effort. I liked the sound and I'm looking to get a 333XL to replace my current amp as it just seamed a little better in every way.

Personally, I like to save for longer and get the gear I want.
Example: I've been saving for 6 months now for a MacBook to replace my current PC as I feel it's better quality and I prefer OSX to Windows. I could of got a normal laptop to replace my PC for half the price, but to me it is far more satisfying to get the gear I really want rather than the second best.
I have an LTD KH-202, and it's definitely not a bad guitar for the price, and has EMG's in it. I definitely prefer my Jackson, but the LTD is a good guitar for what you pay. And then maybe, like GNR4EVER said, a Peavy Vypyr for your amp? That would probably end up being around $650, but all in all would probably be around what you're looking for.
I'm an extreme supporter of the Second Amendment

It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.
Quote by On a Boat
I have an LTD KH-202, and it's definitely not a bad guitar for the price, and has EMG's in it. I definitely prefer my Jackson, but the LTD is a good guitar for what you pay. And then maybe, like GNR4EVER said, a Peavy Vypyr for your amp? That would probably end up being around $650, but all in all would probably be around what you're looking for.

The KH-202 does not have emgs.
Quote by Jackamedmos
The KH-202 does not have emgs.

It has EMG- HZ's which are passive pick ups, I think
Here ya go....

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-X50-Pro-FE.html - $350
OR
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-WI200PRO-Electric-Guitar.html - $400

I'll let you figure out the amp on your own, but you can easilly find a decent ampt for $200-50

***EDIT****
Another EMG loaded guitar for under $400 ($377 at this time): http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Deciever-Single-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar/dp/B002DGS862/ref=sr_1_12?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1279735373&sr=1-12

Amazon's prices fluctuate dramatically (drop real low when 2 are left and then shoot back up after 1 is sold), so you better hit it if you want it....
Last edited by webwarmiller at Jul 21, 2010,
i'm playing metalcore with a JB/'59 combo, on a Schecter C-1 Artist II (used for $270). Passive pickups, through a Peavey Bandit Transtube ($300).

Prior to using this Schecter, I used a $300 Dean DBD T.

Full of winsauce.
EMGs are not necessary at all. If you NEED EMGs to play metal, you're doing it wrong. You can play metal on single coils with the right amp...
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
EMGs are not necessary at all. If you NEED EMGs to play metal, you're doing it wrong. You can play metal on single coils with the right amp...

That's a stretch. You'd need the right single coils and the right amp to do it.

But no, you don't need EMG's to play metal. I'm not. I haven't.