Hi im currently looking for a cheap bass guitar that I could then modify with better pickups etc and save money as opposed to buying an expensive bass like a fender or a musicman. At the moment iv got an Ibanez BTB200 however im not much of a fan of it. If anyone has some ideas of low budget bass guitars with potential then I would really appreciate it. So far iv played a Squier Affinity P Bass and a Vintage est96 (passive version) and see them as possibilities but havnt been overwhelmed by them.

- My budget is £250

- The bass needs to be good enough to play live with as i will be selling my own bass to help fund for the new one and it will be a couple of months before I can afford to moddify it. The amp settup will be fairly good btw.

If anyone has any suggestions on bass and/or modifications then I would really appreciate it.
http://www.rondomusic.com/

Get an SX.

I have 2 (P/J bass, jazzmaster-copy guitar). Out of the box and with minimal set-up, easily MiM Fender quality.

Some of the mods on them are incredible. TalkBass LOVES them.

Here's the general SX appreciation thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620674&highlight=show+mods

Here's one specifically about modding them: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546923&highlight=show+mods

The easy mods that people do are replacing the bridge, pickups and pots. But as you'll see, they can get pretty intense.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Sx P-bass are good ones (pretty sure they are also sold under the Jim Deacon badge here in the UK aswell from some info i found when researching it, and im modding one of these right now)

They run in my local store for around£120- £130 and personally the neck is good and stock wise its a pretty decent little throw about i personally like the neck and was glad i got mines for nout as it was lying in my cousins cupboard and i just thought meh why not mod it and make it my own.

And given the leeway you have a fair bit of dosh to mod it :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
thanks guys there actually is a secondhand SX P-Bass in a local cash converter however iv never playd it as I assumed it would be way below par however I will now have a look.
Quote by jakowelshy
thanks guys there actually is a secondhand SX P-Bass in a local cash converter however iv never playd it as I assumed it would be way below par however I will now have a look.

Snag it! Especially if it's one of the old Fender-copy headstock ones, which are now going for $300+ (which were bought new at $110ish).

You will not be dissapointed.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
thanks i may well do that, do you know how the 'Jim Deacon' bass guitars compare to these?
Quote by jakowelshy
thanks i may well do that, do you know how the 'Jim Deacon' bass guitars compare to these?

Same parts basically as the SX from what i've managed to dig up by people saying stuff on various forums like Talkbass so im pretty sure they are basicaally the same as their SX counterparts just a diffrent name on the headstock.

I might be up in town after i finish my work on Friday so i can get a shot of both and get a better write up but its highly dependant on me meeting up with a mate to buy a ticket for her gig and what happens then.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by jakowelshy

I'm not familliar with the Jim Deacons, as they're not widley circulated in the US.

The only UK compairisons i've seen are SX to Stagg, with the SXs unanimously being preffered.
ah ok thanks, SX's are generally not availible in the UK so hard to find much out about them
Quote by Din of Win
I'm not familliar with the Jim Deacons, as they're not widley circulated in the US.

The only UK compairisons i've seen are SX to Stagg, with the SXs unanimously being preffered.

As i said from what i have figured SX's tend to be badged as Jim Deacon here :P dunno whether its licensing issues or w/e.But mines does its job and built like a tank and the finish is really good on it.

Altho it is a late 90's model.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Razgriz_101
As i said from what i have figured SX's tend to be badged as Jim Deacon here :P

There goes my lack-of-reading-the-entire-post again :/
Check out the B line fernandes stuff. Its the same playability as their high end stuff, just weaker hardware. Sounds like exactly what your looking for. They run at about $375
I had looked at a fernandez Atlas 4X online but i might see if I can find one in a shop to try it out, iv heard good things bout the Squier VM so i might do the same for that one. thanks for all the help guys
Inside your budget is the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, you could change the pickups, bridge, tuners, decal, scratchplate etc. etc. to your hearts content, and it's a good bass to start off with. On top of that they hold their value exceptionally well, one with a lot of mods went on ebay the other day for about £100 more than they cost new.

That's definitely the way that I'd go if I were in your postion right now.

Natural finish
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
I think I will as well actually, even though I have a much higher end bass. But that one's a 5, and I would like a 4 that's as playable as the VM Jazz.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Just like to say thanks for helping me out everyone, as it happens iv managed to get a secondhand OLP MM2 with a modified active EQ so im well happy