Hey, I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul soon. It's either going to be a Traditional or a Standard. However, I'm not too sure about the differences between the two. The Traditional is cheaper by about ~£200.
Quote by KingHenrik1967
uh... i fail to see the question here ?!?

Quote by leg end
Hey, I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul soon. It's either going to be a Traditional or a Standard. However, I'm not too sure about the differences between the two. The Traditional is cheaper by about ~£200.

Differences between a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.
I think he means what is the difference between the two guitars that means a 200 euro difference in price.

The answer...something small and likely cosmetic...chances are they both sound the same. Gibson has mastered marketing by being able to sell average guitars for well above their price.

In other words they sound about the same the differences are in cosmetics and name
Quote by KingHenrik1967
uh... i fail to see the question here ?!?

I think he wants to know the differences, to explain the difference in price and help him decide which to buy.

Okay main difference is they have different neck profiles so you might wanna play them both to see which you prefer, Standard has burstbuckers, tradional has 57 classic plus's Ive little experiance of either so i cant say which is best although burstbuckers are said to be most PAF like that gibson do.

Thats all I can see, hope i helped.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
I think he wants to know the differences, to explain the difference in price and help him decide which to buy.

Okay main difference is they have different neck profiles so you might wanna play them both to see which you prefer, Standard has burstbuckers, tradional has 57 classic plus's Ive little experiance of either so i cant say which is best although burstbuckers are said to be most PAF like that gibson do.

Thats all I can see, hope i helped.

Ok thanks. The Traditional isn't a cheaper version then? People seem to prefer the Standard a lot more.

AND YES, I'M ASKING ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO...
Its not specifically the cheaper because theres not a huge amount of difference and about the pickups Gibson sometimes put the Burstbuckers in cheaper model and the 57's in more expensive models so im of the opinion that there aint much in it.

The main difference is the necks and I believe their weight relieved in different ways but its just which every appeals to yer coz spec wise theirs not much in it and aside from the truss rod plate the appearance and even finish options are identical.
SMILE!
Ok thanks. What are the differences between a Custom and a Standard cuz there sure as hell is a healthy price difference between the two...
Mostly cosmetics, inlays, flame maple, headstock, woods used will all be fancier and gold hardware is used were it can be. They're made in Gibson's custom shop aswell which the standard and tradional aren't so its possible there is a difference in how well there made but I always assumed Gibsons custom shop these days was just a buzz word they used to demand higher prices, could be wrong though.
SMILE!
Just google it ;P
http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16958

It appears the Traditional is weight relieved (holes drilled into the body), while the Standard is chambered (pretty much made hollow body). Test both of them.

You might want to look at these too:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx
If you can find them!
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!