Man in my town arrested... For tackling trespasser at night on his property :/

This just really pisses me off.... The police in my town are notorious for being failures but this just takes it to a new level.

The Delmar resident, in his underwear after having gone to bed, tackled one of the fleeing boys in his yard and waited for police to arrive, only to be charged with endangering the welfare of a child and second-degree harassment. He was issued an appearance ticket to answer the misdemeanor and violation charges in Bethlehem Town Court on Aug. 3.

Not charged were the teens, who allegedly pounded on his back door, rang his front doorbell and skulked around his property in the dark -- punctuated by a torrent of profanities from the slow-footed boy the man caught and kept inside his house until the cops got there.

Shortly after 10 p.m., with his wife, 3-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son all upstairs in their beds, Van Plew remembered he had left paperwork on a dining room table and went downstairs in his underwear to move it to his desk so it would be secure.

That's when he caught a glimpse out a window of a shadowy figure standing close to his house, along with some other movement out front.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=952628

TL;DR

Teens ding dong ditch (Ringing the doorbell then running) man shortly after 10 at night, he tackles one and brings him inside while waiting for cops, cops charge THE MAN with endangering the welfare of a child and 2nd degree harassment.

Sure he brought him inside, but how is he in the wrong? What would you do if that happened while your family was sleeping in your house? It just pisses me off that they're letting the teen get away and charging the VICTIM.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jul 21, 2010,
He brought him inside?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
I caught a trespasser once, I got charged too.
They don't condone people raping birds
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Jul 21, 2010,
I wouldn't have charged the guy with anything. That's just stupid. He probably shouldn't have taken the kid inside, but still.

I can understand not charging the kids with anything either though. They were just performing a harmless prank on the guy.
False imprisonment maybe, but not endangerment of a child or harassment. I don't see him getting convicted of anything.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by Ghast

TL;DR

Teens ding dong ditch man shortly after 10 at night,...

Is that a US term or am I missing something?
It's bullshit that he got arrested though, don't you guys have self-defense laws or something over there? (I recognise it's not really self-defense, but meh.)
Quote by daytripper75
I wouldn't have charged the guy with anything. That's just stupid. He probably shouldn't have taken the kid inside, but still.

I can understand not charging the kids with anything either though. They were just performing a harmless prank on the guy.

harmless prank?

if at 3 pm it is, but not if you spook his house all night.
stupid police jerks.
Quote by palefire
Should point out that Doctor Rock has a point, by the way - we do have some of the biggest nutters (usually in a funny way) in the country.

Londons Burning!
dahdahdahdahdah!
Quote by uk.mace

Is that a US term or am I missing something?
It's bullshit that he got arrested though, don't you guys have self-defense laws or something over there? (I recognise it's not really self-defense, but meh.)
It's when you ring somebody's door bell, and then run like hell.

It's good, clean fun when you're a kid.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Dont take them INSIDE, just tie them up and declare "citizens arrest". Say he was threatening to kill you, so its a felony.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by daytripper75

If anything, the kids should be charged with harassment.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
key words..... "my town"
cops know dick in "towns". city cops are the shit.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by element4433
It's when you ring somebody's door bell, and then run like hell.

It's good, clean fun when you're a kid.

We call it dolly-knocking over here... yours makes more sense to be honest.

EDIT: Wow, I Wikipedia'd it, and the page is called Knock, Knock, Ginger
Last edited by uk.mace at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by uk.mace

Where I live it's just called knock a door and run.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Moral of the story:
Don't call the cops.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by uk.mace

Dolly-knocking. I like that.

And that page is great.

"Ding Dong Drive" A group rings a door bell, then gets into a car and waits for the victim to come outside then proceeds to drive away.

I would do that if I was sixteen again.

"Ding Dong Dickie" A person rings the doorbell and then loudly berates the administration of President Nixon to whoever answers the door. Popular in the 70s.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by the_white_bunny
key words..... "my town"
cops know dick in "towns". city cops are the shit.

this. I live in a small town and the police here are absolutely hopeless. One time somebody crashed their car into our fence, where the brown hedge is now in the middle of the night, which must have included driving down that grassy slope then drove off, leaving their front bumper and a trail of oil all down the road to where they parked, we went to the police because they'd knocked the whole fence down. The police did absolutely nothing, even though there was a quite literally a trail of oil going to a parking space in which there was a car missing its bumper.

edit: and yes the sign at the top says 'police'. because the police station is next door to my house.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by uk.mace

Ginger, Ginger broke a winder

Hit the winda - Crack!

The baker came out to give 'im a clout.

And landed on his back

Quote by element4433
Dolly-knocking. I like that.

And that page is great.

I would do that if I was sixteen again.

The common parting shot was "DICK NIXON BEFORE HE DICKS YOU!"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
A middle-aged man, in his underpants, tackles a teenage boy and drags him into his house.
hmmm
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by jgbsmith
*pic*

this. I live in a small town and the police here are absolutely hopeless. One time somebody crashed their car into our fence, where the brown hedge is now in the middle of the night, which must have included driving down that grassy slope then drove off, leaving their front bumper and a trail of oil all down the road to where they parked, we went to the police because they'd knocked the whole fence down. The police did absolutely nothing, even though there was a quite literally a trail of oil going to a parking space in which there was a car missing its bumper.

edit: and yes the sign at the top says 'police'. because the police station is next door to my house.

All the cops in the UK are useless and corrupt, no matter where you live.
Quote by wiki
"Ding Dong Delivery" A person puts something into a package box; then puts it onto a person's doorstep, rings the doorbell, and runs.

hmmmmm

Quote by bodyheatseeker
A middle-aged man, in his underpants, tackles a teenage boy and drags him into his house.
hmmm

This. There could be more to the story than what's being reported. But I wouldn't have been to kind to the trespasser either, but I may have handled it a bit differently.
Since it was a middle aged man in his underpants I think he was stupid for bringing the boy in his home. That just makes him look bad.

Also ding dong ditch is harmless fun. They would have most likely left the guy alone after they ran away.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Since it was a middle aged man in his underpants I think he was stupid for bringing the boy in his home. That just makes him look bad.

A middle aged man in his underpants WHO HAS A WIFE AND TWO CHILDREN.

What's the problem?
I thought we could shoot people for trespassing here in the U.S.

...oops
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by DocterRock
harmless prank?

if at 3 pm it is, but not if you spook his house all night.

It still wasn't hurting him. If he would have just yelled at them they probably would have left him alone.
Kids are lucky they didn't harass the home of a pedophile or serial killer.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Zaphikh
Long story

I really enjoyed reading that for some reason All the ex-marines and ex-seals I know are total badasses, its so cool, haha
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Jackal58
Moral of the story:
Don't call the cops.

yea just tie the kid up and get ur kids and wife to come downstairs and kick the shit out of him.
For a heart of ice,
a winters night is a breathless kiss,

For a heart of fire,
a summers day is a lovers embrace.

-Me-
"ohh a piece of candy!!!"
In Florida law, what the kids were doing was illegal and trespassing. I dont know what NY law is but apparently it didnt hold up..Sucks for him.

Anyways, ive trespassed before as a youngin'. It wasnt to harrass some old man though; it was because there was a really creepy trail leading to the property, one of those cheap signs that said "Trespassers will be shot" and then two red and gold shot gun shells in the dirt nearby. C'mon..when youre a kid that just screams ADVENTUUUREEE~~

Thinking back, that just screams "Youre an idiiiooot~" !
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by yellowfrizbee
In Florida law, what the kids were doing was illegal and trespassing. I dont know what NY law is but apparently it didnt hold up..Sucks for him.

Anyways, ive trespassed before as a youngin'. It wasnt to harrass some old man though; it was because there was a really creepy trail leading to the property, one of those cheap signs that said "Trespassers will be shot" and then two red and gold shot gun shells in the dirt nearby. C'mon..when youre a kid that just screams ADVENTUUUREEE~~

scarily for me that still screams ADVENTUUUREEE! lol
For a heart of ice,
a winters night is a breathless kiss,

For a heart of fire,
a summers day is a lovers embrace.

-Me-
"ohh a piece of candy!!!"
Quote by barden1069
I thought we could shoot people for trespassing here in the U.S.

...oops

I think it depends what state you are into your house. Some states have it so you can shoot people if they break in, others do not. According to Wikipedia, in New York, "Deadly force justified to prevent burglary or arson of the home." So I guess they are saying here that the kid wasn't trying to rob or damage them, so he couldn't attack him?
Quote by yellowfrizbee

Trespassing is fun. Most of my childhood, preteen, and teenage memories involve trespassing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Zaphikh

Oh my.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi