I think this is the right forum, Well. When I pick ive noticed that I lean my thumb(the one im picking with) against the strings. Is that good or bad? Does it add "dirtsound/sloppness(lol) when I pick and do that? And another question. Does someone have the effect pedal ZooM G2.1U? How do you enable the wahwah on it?
Ive never actually tried picking with my thumb ... but shouldnt you be taking it off right after plucking ?
Quote by kian89
Ive never actually tried picking with my thumb ... but shouldnt you be taking it off right after plucking ?

Maybe I schould have been more clear . I meant when im holding the pick and pick fast. Its like I mute with the thumb Im holding the pick with/lean against the strings with. But I start to wonder If it really mutes or just adds unwanted noise. Would It be better If I muted with the palm "only"?
Quote by PunchSlap
Maybe I schould have been more clear . I meant when im holding the pick and pick fast. Its like I mute with the thumb Im holding the pick with/lean against the strings with. But I start to wonder If it really mutes or just adds unwanted noise. Would It be better If I muted with the palm "only"?

oh ok. . . I think its not good to mute with thumb,i dono if its even possible. But i think you hold your pick near the tip of it. Try holding it from its head,if you know what i mean.
Depends on what you mean by muting using the thumb, the fleshy part just below the thumb is commonly used to mute; not sure how you'd go about muting with the thumb itself though.
Surely you can hear whether or not you're muting successfully anyway?
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
It wont mute with thumb ,, will create unwanted sound if you dont have any noise gate.
TS, as long as you aren't "pressing" into the strings with too much force you'll be fine - and it stops those strings ringing out, which is usually what you want when playing with gain.

It wont mute with thumb ,, will create unwanted sound if you dont have any noise gate.

Well, I've been doing it for years without any problems... and noise gates don't work like that.
Quote by Freepower
TS, as long as you aren't "pressing" into the strings with too much force you'll be fine - and it stops those strings ringing out, which is usually what you want when playing with gain.

Well, I've been doing it for years without any problems... and noise gates don't work like that.

but i find noise gates reducing picking sound and scrapes ... :s
It will in certain situations but when you're actually playing the noise gate doesn't "remove" the quiet sounds from your input signal - it only analyses the whole signal. Hence why it won't remove string noise from sloppy playing.
Quote by kian89
but i find noise gates reducing picking sound and scrapes ... :s

That's really not what they're for at all, noise gates are really supposed to cut hum and feedback. I have no idea how you manage to set up a noise gate so you're removing any kind of string noise...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's really not what they're for at all, noise gates are really supposed to cut hum and feedback. I have no idea how you manage to set up a noise gate so you're removing any kind of string noise...

I dont know how but it use to happen to me , i dont use noise gate now .
things like ,, string sound , Pinch harmonics wont play etc.
Quote by kian89
I dont know how but it use to happen to me , i dont use noise gate now .
things like ,, string sound , Pinch harmonics wont play etc.

That's just having your gate set way too harsh, I use an ISP Decimator and all my playing rings through as does the string noise if my muting fails but the important thing is that it cuts out hum from the pickups and noise from my other pedals.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.