hello,
I know this has been asked many times but I want to make sure i'm doing this right.
I currently own an ampeg svt 3-pro head it pushes 450 watts at 4ohms and 275 watts and 8 ohms. Would it be safe to use a 600 watt cab at 8 ohms and if not how many watts should an 8 ohm cab have to match the head? Thank you for the help.
Yes, you would just be underpowering the cab, but thats the point of having all that headroom-being able to get loud without pushing anything.

But even with all that head room, dont push the amp into clipping. You can spike the signal and spikes can reach the peak wattage of the head which is about 2-3 times RMS wattage. So even if the amp is running 275w at 8ohms, you can spike it and get 700w or so and blow a speaker. But your not in any danger of this as long as your head isnt clipping
Quote by tubatom868686
Yes, you would just be underpowering the cab, but thats the point of having all that headroom-being able to get loud without pushing anything.

But even with all that head room, dont push the amp into clipping. You can spike the signal and spikes can reach the peak wattage of the head which is about 2-3 times RMS wattage. So even if the amp is running 275w at 8ohms, you can spike it and get 700w or so and blow a speaker. But your not in any danger of this as long as your head isnt clipping

Actually the maximum is the RMS power times the square root of two which is 1.414. but in any case your speaker is safe.
To get the most out of that head you really want a single 4 ohm cab. Its very quite running at 8 ohms and its not worth it. But it comes to life with a 4 ohm load.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul