Got the MXR 10 Band EQ recently. Since I've never had an EQ Pedal I'm not exactly an expert on what specific frequencies effect what sonically. I've played around with it a little bit but I'm looking for suggestions.

I play guitar in a Southern Hard Rock band, but I'm not looking for that, I don't even like a lot of southern rock. What I'm looking for is what I should be doing to this EQ to help me attain a NWOBHM tone. In particular really overdriven Judas Priest like "Judas Rising" "Leather Rebel" and "Hell Patrol"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by Teej212
high frequencies- treblies
low frequencies- bassies

oh, and EQ is by no means an overdrive or a distortion....

Haha.
Ya I'm aware of that. And I'm actually scooping gain with it, not boosting it. I'm asking for tonal advice, not gain.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Haha.
Ya I'm aware of that. And I'm actually scooping gain with it, not boosting it. I'm asking for tonal advice, not gain.

Well you did ask for help on a overdriven tone with it in your OP.
That gain slider on it is more like something that can be used to make your pickups sound like they have more/less output gain or so than they actually do. It doesn't really work very well as a OD.
Suggestion to using an EQ, first eq the amp the best that you can to the sound you are looking for then use the M-108 to fine tune it to your tastes. If I remember right then the manual had a couple of settings to try out, you could try those out.
Quote by vishal_metalhed
Well you did ask for help on a overdriven tone with it in your OP.
That gain slider on it is more like something that can be used to make your pickups sound like they have more/less output gain or so than they actually do. It doesn't really work very well as a OD.
Suggestion to using an EQ, first eq the amp the best that you can to the sound you are looking for then use the M-108 to fine tune it to your tastes. If I remember right then the manual had a couple of settings to try out, you could try those out.

I have my amps EQ flat and use the pedal to EQ for simplicities sake. Is there a difference?

Ya it came with some starter settings. A scooped "metal" setting, a lead setting that sounded like Nickelback, a "sparkly clean" setting which was pretty meh. And one that I just can't figure out: it's called "AM Radio" and I get the name, it sounds just like I'm playing through my shitty alarm clock radio, but why include that?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

The alarm clock radio is for a specific effect some people use on some songs.

As for EQ settings, all I can honestly say is play around with it until you get something you like. Every amp is different and responds to different frequencies in different ways.

I will say don't leave the amp's EQ flat; find something that sounds reasonably good on the amp and then play with the EQ pedal to get something even better.

Also, the gain slider controls the level of input going into the M-108. It's not a br00t4lizer or de-br00t4lizer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??