Okay here is my dilemma i trying to play and record but there is so much buzz that its redicalous.
The buzz is actually start to break in to my sound and cuts down on sustain. Its a jackson kvx10 with two volumes for a mod.
When i have the volume turn down there is no hum until i touch something metal which is the opposite of what should be happening, and with overdrive you might as well send a wire straight from the strings to ground it wouldnt matter.
Worse of all if any of my arms beside the left palm and right palm touch anything metal i get shocked.
No joke back of the hand on the bridge i get shocked!
Is this a home wiring problem amp grounding or guitar grounding problem?

Happy?
Zune Tag: Metal4life 1976
PlayStation Network: Koltzow

Quote by Bearded_Seth
At least you know you're attractive..

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Last edited by Thrash_Head1990 at Jul 21, 2010,
Yea well once i was trying to read this thread and try to answer a question to help TS but he didn't put any periods and such so i didn't know what it ment i was just like wtf why doesn't this dude put periods in his sentences i mean come on you have to have some type of grammar capabilites and if not there programs for it online all you have to do is search on google really its not that hard to put periods.
Firstly, if your guitar is shocking you, unplug everything. Unplug the guitar from the amp, the amp from the wall, everything. And don't plug it in again until the problem has been found and fixed.

If a guitar is shocking you, it's usually to do with the grounding of the pickups. You could open it up yourself and see if anything is obviously wrong like a disconnected wire but unless you know what You're doing I'd advise taking it to a tech.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Thrash_Head1990
it a jackson kvx10 with two volumes for a mod when i have the volume turn down there is no hum until i touch something metal which is the opposite of what should be happening and with overdrive you might as well send a wire straight from the strings to ground it wouldnt matter and worse of all if any of my arms beside the left palm and right palm touch anything metal i get shocked no joke back of the hand on the bridge i get shocked!

lol that run-on sentence hurts to read.
Dude seriously you've gotta use punctuation because its almost impossible to get a hand hold on what you are trying to say I've been shocked before by my amplifier plugging it into my wall jack but thats because the jack cover was metal and I was touching the metal and it shocked me its probably your guitar grounding make sure its connected to something if your ground wire is disconnected then you should be shocked just like I feel that its great retribution for putting up a post with no periods
okay! i get it. i fixed it. im out of school so i could care less about grammar right now.
just help me it makes me not want to play

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
makes you not want to play , people commenting on your wall of text?. seriously? grow up.

and " could care less" means you do care,
the term "couldn't care less" means that you could not possibly care less, even if you wanted to.
Last edited by Lespauljames at Jul 21, 2010,
your amp might be shocking you.

your outlet might be too. you need to move the amp to another room, try it there,

as for the buzz, swap for another guitar cable and check that the two wires going to the output jack are both secure.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Lespauljames
makes you not want to play , people commenting on your wall of text?. seriously? grow up.

and " could care less" means you do care,
the term "couldn't care less" means that you could not possibly care less, even if you wanted to.

the shocking is what is making me not want to play.

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
bro can you read my post, deal with the issue instead of the thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What kind of amp is it? If it's a older type amplifier, it may have a ground lift switch. If this switch is in the wrong position you could be setting yourself up for a lethal ground loop situation. Check that. Check and make sure the grounding prong of the amp cord is still there. Make sure you're not using a "suicide" adapter. Those little gray things that convert a 3 prong plug into a 2 prong. Make sure that any other things plugged in to the circuit the amp is plugged into is grounded, remove any devices and see if it gets better. If the other devices have a ground lift switch, make sure they're all the same. If the problem just happened to start all of the sudden, take the amp to a tech and have him check the chassis ground and make sure it's still electrically connected to the amps power cord. Even with a bad ground in the guitar you shouldn't get shocked. Make sure there are no instrument cables wrapped around the AC power cords. It sounds like there is a 60 cycle AC hum in your signal. If you have an electrician friend, have them come over and test the ground potential with a voltmeter. Don't shock yourself to see if the problem still exists, it could literally kill you instantly.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
In a correctly grounded system, the guitar's ground (shield of cable, Bridge, Strings etc) are connected to the amps chassis ground. This in turn is supposed to be connected to AC Ground thru a 3 prong plug.
If you are getting shocked it's likely that the amp's chassis is floating ( ie not grounded) this could be the amp or the outlet.
Does your amp have a gorund lift switch on the back panel (old tube amp)?
For around $10 you can buy a plug in tester that will tell you if the outlet itself is grounded and wired correctly. This would be the cheapest and easiest method of eliminating your outlets since you aren't electrically inclined or trained.

EDIT Too slow zeek7pc types too fast for me!!
EDIT 2 fix gross typo's & mention if the guitar wasn't grounded to the amp thru the cord, you'd never get a signal thru and you certainly couldn't get shocked!
Attachments:
250px-Receptacle_tester.jpg
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 21, 2010,
^ Rock on dude! Great answer, I didn't think of the tester, and I'm an electrician
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
From what you describe, this is a very dangerous situation. I would go see a Guitar Tech ASAP.

ron666
I mean I can read a long run on sentence but do you realize how annoying it is when u come into a post and it's just a long wall of text and there's no punctuation and there are 20 questions and maybe a story or two and I'm all like where is the question and how am I supposed to answer this and I get that ur out of school but I don't know if that's a good excuse because it's like writing and u don't just become retarded because your not forced to hold the pencil the right way right right right I mean dunno it seems like you'd have to not punctuate on purpose because the alternative is that while ur in school ur trying really really hard to make sure u end all your sentences with a period.

When u can shred faster then electricity the guitar will stop shocking u
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Someone posted the electrical outlet checker.....get one and do that. OR, move to another outlet and plug amp to it, BUT, it has to be on a different circuit in the house.....so...far away from what you are using now.

It MOST likely is a bad ground on the guitar.......ESPECIALLY since you mention the guitar is "modded" with 2 volumes. If I were to bet...this is exactly where my money is.

Now, if it is a bad ground on guitar......fix it, or if you do not know how/lack equipment...take guitar to someone who does these things for a living.

If the electrical outlet is FUBAR....get yerself an electrician pronto.
i should mention that it's a 100 watt peavey bandit and in the back theres a switch that says ground and shows a +,-,o.
Also im plugged into one of those multi outlet adapters the one that you plug into one outlet and you have 6 more.
But it never really started or i noticed it till i started to plug in a microphone to my laptop.

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.
Quote by Thrash_Head1990
i should mention that it's a 100 watt peavey bandit and in the back theres a switch that says ground and shows a +,-,o.
Also im plugged into one of those multi outlet adapters the one that you plug into one outlet and you have 6 more.
But it never really started or i noticed it till i started to plug in a microphone to my laptop.

The +/- switch is there to reduce HUM.

Try plugging the amp into it's OWN outlet...NOT running off a powerstrip full of other equip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITT: basement dwellers pointing out obvious grammar mistakes in desperate attempts to try show epeen.

It honestly isn't hard to read a wall of text with no punctuation if you aren't dumb.
why are we still fighting about my grammar? Its over i fixed it, and learned my lesson (god i sound like a little kid)

Quote by Bearded_Seth

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'd smack his ass too.