Page 1 of 2
Ok pit, my other guitarist and bassist in my band both have ADHD. Practice is always hell because they just get bored with a song and go into a completly different song. Both of them are really good so i wanna keep them as band members. any ideas how to keep them focused? All input is greatly appreciated

Also share your own experiences of dealing with Bandmates with ADHD.
For crying out loud, just because people don't have the will to learn a song in it's entirety doesn't mean that they have ADHD.

Why is everything a disorder. Maybe they're just bad musicians.

If they really have ADHD, shove some Adderall down their throats and lay out a practice session.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
If they have ADHD Just give them some pills.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Spike their drinks with adderral or some shit. I dunno. Spray them with water whenever they jump to a different song prematurely?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
ADHD is an excuse for people to be immature hyperactive twats and then turn round and say its not me iv got a problem.
it's a made up disorder. its just called being really hyper. when i jam, ill sometimes be in the middle of a song and decide i want to play a different one or something of a different style.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
For crying out loud, just because people don't have the will to learn a song in it's entirety doesn't mean that they have ADHD.

If they really have ADHD, shove some Adderall down their throats and lay out a practice session.

they both actally have ADHD, when they spend the night they always joke around in the morning about being pill poppers. when honestly there taking medication for it.
Coming from someone with ADD...give them Adderall or tell them to shut up. ADD people should show self control too, and the medicine wears off around dinner so that's probably why they can't focus
Last edited by justaramsfan at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by gsd65
it's a made up disorder. its just called being really hyper. when i jam, ill sometimes be in the middle of a song and decide i want to play a different one or something of a different style.

Also, this guy has no idea what he's talking about...
Quote by That Old Geezer
they both actally have ADHD, when they spend the night they always joke around in the morning about being pill poppers. when honestly there taking medication for it.

Autism is an excuse for being a wanker. adhd is not an just because they take pills doesn't mean they can't tell right from wrong or behave like normal people.
Quote by justaramsfan
Coming from someone with ADD...give them Adderall or tell them to shut up. ADD people should show self control too

Is adderall a prescrption drug? or can i just get it over the counter?
Fuck all of you who don't think ADHD is real. Trolls, haters, surrounded by idiots who abuse the term, or just ignorant, all of you.

TS: Minimize distractions in the place where you practice, for starters. You might try to set a really rigid time schedule, like this song for X minutes, then this song for X minutes, etc. Or you could try working at their pace. If they change to a new song, you do it too. Just some suggestions, there's surely better ideas out there (though minimizing distractions is a big one).

^Adderall is tightly controlled man, all ADHD pills are stimulants (which seems counterintuitive but isn't if you actually know how it works).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Be happy they're willing to keep going. Every band I've been in, save for when I subbed for a friend, has fallen apart before a single gig because nobody else in the group has the drive to keep going, it dissolves into a few guys in a garage listening to my iPod saying "we could do this song", only for someone to raise a reason why we can't. Then when someone suggests writing something, somebody says that nobody would want to hear any original music. And even then half the time one of the members is inside playing on whatever console that band's rehearsal space member has hooked to his TV, and it's usually not something like the guitarist or bassist or someone who's nice, but not a necessity in rock. No, usually it's the singer or the drummer, the latter you need to keep everything going right. The singer will get pissed off if you play an instrumental longer than Misirlou unless he also plays an instrument, much less write one, and even then he wants to sing over it.

Wow I hate my bandmates. But yeah, be glad they have the drive to keep practicing. They don't sound like they have ADD, it sounds like they're playing music they don't like. Maybe try writing some music, blending your tastes into a new flavour of sound.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by That Old Geezer
Is adderall a prescrption drug? or can i just get it over the counter?

Of course it's prescription, you can't buy stimulants like that over the counter silly
Quote by Burningritual
Autism is an excuse for being a wanker. adhd is not an just because they take pills doesn't mean they can't tell right from wrong or behave like normal people.

Yeah autistic people are just faking it they can stop being autistic any time.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Just tell them to have a snickers

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
In the good ole days fathers used to beat the ADHD out of their kids. That's not a joke, not a stupid pitism. That's true. You should try that.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I had a singer with adhd for real.
I couldn't work with him it was like working with a 10 year old, which is a shame he was a good singer.
Put them on a lead and in a cage, that's what we do with mentally ill people these days.
Quote by necrosis1193
Be happy they're willing to keep going. Every band I've been in, save for when I subbed for a friend, has fallen apart before a single gig because nobody else in the group has the drive to keep going, it dissolves into a few guys in a garage listening to my iPod saying "we could do this song", only for someone to raise a reason why we can't. Then when someone suggests writing something, somebody says that nobody would want to hear any original music. And even then half the time one of the members is inside playing on whatever console that band's rehearsal space member has hooked to his TV, and it's usually not something like the guitarist or bassist or someone who's nice, but not a necessity in rock. No, usually it's the singer or the drummer, the latter you need to keep everything going right. The singer will get pissed off if you play an instrumental longer than Misirlou unless he also plays an instrument, much less write one, and even then he wants to sing over it.

Wow I hate my bandmates. But yeah, be glad they have the drive to keep practicing. They don't sound like they have ADD, it sounds like they're playing music they don't like. Maybe try writing some music, blending your tastes into a new flavour of sound.

I know exactly what you mean about band mates thats why i'm doing everything on my own at the moment as the only person in every band i've been in who wants to do more than jam for abit then play games.

Anyway yea this guy sounds about right they are most likely just bored so you may want to mix up what stuff you play add some new covers (if you do any) and/or sit and write some other stuff together as playing the same few songs repeatedly (although i know it has to be done) gets very boring if there isn't anything else yous can play before and afterward.

As for it being a real condition well that is debatable but most people diagnosed with it don't even come close to having it as a real disorder.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Quote by SteveHouse
Fuck all of you who don't think ADHD is real. Trolls, haters, surrounded by idiots who abuse the term, or just ignorant, all of you.

TS: Minimize distractions in the place where you practice, for starters. You might try to set a really rigid time schedule, like this song for X minutes, then this song for X minutes, etc. Or you could try working at their pace. If they change to a new song, you do it too. Just some suggestions, there's surely better ideas out there (though minimizing distractions is a big one).

^Adderall is tightly controlled man, all ADHD pills are stimulants (which seems counterintuitive but isn't if you actually know how it works).

Thank you, Steve. I have ADD and I dont act like a twat. I also dont take advantage of my ADD and act out. It just makes some things harder.

I know we are talking about "ADHD" but they are both pretty abused.

Stepco's Master
Quote by necrosis1193

every bandmember got to pick 3 songs, they get bored with there own songs
Edit: ^Hmm...then I'd say see fi they want to write anything. People like playing their own music more than covers a lot I think. If that doesn't work, you may want to look for new band members.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

I think he's more referring to the people who self-diagnose themselves with it as a "Get out of being normal free" card. One of my best friends(And one of the best musicians and composers I know. Give him anything and he'll have it figured out in five minutes. When i started working with techno elements, I almost wanted to ask him if he'd be interested in a collaboration) has it, and frankly the number of people who say they have it when it's obvious to anyone who knows even a single person who does is just sickening and offensive.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Thank you, Steve. I have ADD and I dont act like a twat. I also dont take advantage of my ADD and act out. It just makes some things harder.

Just so you lot know, i think a lot of people don't know a lot about ADHD outside of the US.
It isn't diagnosed as often as it is in the US in the rest of the world.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, i'm just saying that's the way it is.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

you just said the opposite of what i meant. I never said autistic people are faking it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee

Pretty sure ADD is an obsolete term now. For DSM-V, right now they're proposing ADHD Inattentive, Hyperactive, Combined, and Inattentive (restrictive) types. When we covered ADHD in my abnormal psych class last spring based on DSM-IV-TR I'm pretty sure it was just ADHD with the first three types.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Jiggzy.UK

It isn't diagnosed as often as it is in the US in the rest of the world.

That's because a large portion of the diagnosis are one of two things:

1- Children who drink too much caffeine and sugar.
2- People who want speed for recreational reasons.

I never said that ADHD isn't a real disorder, but from what I've observed, the percentage of people who actually have it is incredibly low compared to the people who take Adderall on a regular basis because they think they need it.

It's really sad to me that our generation pops Amphetamines when they have difficulty getting through the day. Our lives are so boring that we have to drug ourselves up to stay concentrated.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I never said that ADHD isn't a real disorder, but from what I've observed, the percentage of people who actually have it is incredibly low compared to the people who take Adderall on a regular basis because they think they need it.

It's really sad to me that our generation pops Amphetamines when they have difficulty getting through the day. Our lives are so boring that we have to drug ourselves up to stay concentrated.

You can probably blame lazy pediatricians or ones who are being asked to make a diagnosis they aren't qualified for for that. PCPs do a lot of mental health diagnosing that really should be sent to a psychologist or psychiatrist.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SlinkyBlue

Whole heartedly agree with you, except it is a very common incorrect diagnosis in children and teenagers here in the UK to the point where some doctors have complained to schools about how often they tell parents their children should get checked out for it.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Quote by SlinkyBlue

If you can take Adderall and NOT stay awake for 3 days straight, then you have ADHD...
If you follow the TBMC Psychological logic, ADHD is one of the 'I > X' group of mental afflictions. This means that the best way to combat it is by nourishing one of the two opposing mental areas and thus balancing them out.

Aim for the R. Rigid structures has been mentioned already, and it's a lot safer than the alternative. Don't fit to somebody with an ADHD affliction, help them fit to you.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

+1
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by SteveHouse
Pretty sure ADD is an obsolete term now. For DSM-V, right now they're proposing ADHD Inattentive, Hyperactive, Combined, and Inattentive (restrictive) types. When we covered ADHD in my abnormal psych class last spring based on DSM-IV-TR I'm pretty sure it was just ADHD with the first three types.

Interesting. Ive always thought ADHD to be associated much more with impulsive traits and associate alot less with anxiety etc.

So its just ADHD now with types? Either way. I have ADD reeeally bad but because of my metabolism and weight Im only to be prescribed 5mg Adderral tablets and am only to take ONE every day ...it doesnt do shit. 5mg! 5 meeshly mg of Adderral. Infact, not only does it do little to help, but it just worsens my anxiety symptoms.

Stepco's Master
Quote by gsd65

Dude...gtfo.

TS, maybe you should have a talk with them. I mean, come on...they need to show some responsibility here. If you're in the middle of a song, don't stop and go, "We're gonna play a different song now cuz I r bored..." Really! It's fucking rude! So, talk with them, TS, talk with them.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Interesting. Ive always thought ADHD to be associated much more with impulsive traits and associate alot less with anxiety etc.

So its just ADHD now with types? Either way. I have ADD reeeally bad but because of my metabolism and weight Im only to be prescribed 5mg Adderral tablets and am only to take ONE every day ...it doesnt do shit. 5mg! 5 meeshly mg of Adderral. Infact, not only does it do little to help, but it just worsens my anxiety symptoms.

You can take something to help you eat more, too...I use Mirtazaphine which helps me sleep a bit and helps my appetite.

And anxiety is a side-effect of ADD, you're more aware of what's around you so when adrenaline/people are thrown in the mix you overreact to stuff
Quote by yellowfrizbee

That's tough, Frizzy Have you talked with your doctor about whether an Adderrall prescription that "doesn't do shit" is really worth worsening your anxiety?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse

What about people, like me, who think it's over diagnosed?
I have ADHD and I've never had a problem in band practices. Just make sure whoever is the leader stays in charge of the practice. It might even be easier to make one of them the de facto leader at practices.

EDIT:

Quote by boreamor
What about people, like me, who think it's over diagnosed?

Based on what? The idea that all kids are energetic or something?
Page 1 of 2