Anyone else played one of these? I played one today and loved it, the action was a bit high but thats can be fixed easily. Thinking of definately getting one when I have the money.Also the tuners are wierd, but a good wierd, Steinberger gearless tuners, which instead of being like tuning pegs, are like knobs on the back of the headstock, overall I liked it and I want some more opinions of it.
Gear
Epiphone Sg special <---meh

Peavey Vypyr 30 <---awesome

Hello
Which one? The Studio, or the sexy as **** three pickup one with the gold hardware? Because if it's the latter. You should go buy it like 10 minutes ago. I *heart* Firebirds.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Which one? The Studio, or the sexy as **** three pickup one with the gold hardware? Because if it's the latter. You should go buy it like 10 minutes ago. I *heart* Firebirds.

nope, its the studio, still very very very nice though, apparantly dave grohl uses the gibsons and the epis live, he uses the studio as well so its obviously good
Gear

Hello
Ahhh, I've never had the chance to play a studio, but aside from the finish, which isn't really my style. It's a great looking guitar.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Ahhh, I've never had the chance to play a studio, but aside from the finish, which isn't really my style. It's a great looking guitar.

Its a limited edition ebony finish, made in the usa by the custom shop.
Gear

Hello
I've got the Limited Edition Ebony-finished Firebird Studio sitting in my lap right now.

Firstly, it's not made in America, it's made in China; the only difference between the Epi Custom Shop LEs and the regular models is the Epi Custom Shops have their parts finished off by hand and they get the first pick of the better materials - but they're still made in the same place by the same people. Secondly, Dave Grohl has only used the Gibson version, never the Epi one.
Third up, if you buy it, you're going to want to change the tuners. Gearless tuners seem great in theory but living with them, they slip out of tune at the slightest change in temperature and it's next to impossible to keep the low E and A strings in tune; I'm having to retune mine literally two or three times every day, even when I've not played it. Fourth thing to think about is how neck-heavy it is. I've never found a guitar that neck dives worse than the Epi Firebird Studio; it's a total pain to keep balanced and it means almost all of the instrument's weight is pressing down on your one shoulder. In short, you need to buy some lighter and regular-style tuners and you need to reposition the strap buttons so one is under the neck heel and the other is much higher on the back of the guitar. If you don't do these things, the guitar will be virtually unplayable. The nut should also be changed if you want lower action, I've noticed the stock nut is cut quite high. I've changed mine for an Earvana compensated nut.

That said, on to the positive things. I had planned to change out the Firebird's hardware to gold and change all the electronics as well, but actually I've found the stock pots and selector switch are fantastic. The stock pickups seem better than Epi's usually stock pickups too, much more responsive. Most of the guitar is built superbly (at least as well as you could hope for at this price point). I'm a fan of the Firebird Studio design as the slightly thicker body means it has a warmer tone than regular Firebirds and sustains a lot better.

It's a great base to work on, but you need to make sure you can live with the simple nature of Firebirds; they're poorly balanced and not exactly the weapon of choice for ultra-fast lead shredders. Mine has, with some modifications, become my main rhythm guitar though and I think you'll be happy with it so long as you don't mind modding it a little.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.