Alright, for an example of the rhythm tone, just goto my profile and listen to "dampened tone test" or something of that nature.

The mids are high, bottoms present, highs kind of sprinkled over the top, as they were added later on VIA a mastering EQ.

Regardless, thats the rhythm tone.

From a mixing stand point, what direction as far as equalization, use of reverb, delay etc, should I go with the lead tone so that it BLENDS with the rhythm and doesn't sound foreign or detached from the track. I've tried lots of things, using different pickups, amps, etc, but I can't seem to figure out whats right, so I thought, maybe its something I'm not aware of that usually goes into mixing a lead that I'm leaving out, henceforth why I'm here. Scooping the sound makes it "Fit" in the mix, and lots of highs also make it fit, heavy reverb and delay give it a nice sound, but then the actual tone sounds like shit, despite the fact that it fits. A heavy mid tone sounds good, but it sticks out too far, sounding as if it was just slapped on there. Is there some magic button I'm suppose to push? Or is it just a trial and error thing?
Quote by Sami Philadelph
...Is there some magic button I'm suppose to push? Or is it just a trial and error thing?

Funny you say that, that's exactly what I do.

In Cubase there's dozens and dozens of presets for whatever you're trying to do. There just happens to be a couple of EQ presets for "solo guitar" or "lead guitar" so I just pick one of those. Sometimes I'll adjust one of the frequencies a smidgen, but usually I'll just leave it as is and I find anyone of 'em sound pretty dang good.

What are you using for a DAW anyway? Soes it have any EQ presets?
it depends on the kind of lead tone we are talking about here. i typically cut out the very low end and then roll off a bit of the low mids. might boost the high mids and then treat the highs like i would on rhythm, except maybe a less sharp roll off.

however, that isnt like it always works, more an example of something that i find works for me.

at times you kinda also have to realize that the tone on the single instrument isnt as important as fitting in the mix. if the tone sounds bad to make the instrument fit, thats another thing. but just having the lead guitar a bit weaker sounding when soloed is ok.
work on that rhythm tone first. Low pass it at 10khz and get rid of some high mids
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
For a lead tone that blends with your rhythm section, don't change your amp, or guitar, use the same amp, same setting, and same guitar. The only thing I would change on the amp is the gain, typically for lead you want a little bit more gain than your rhythm section. Then I like to add alot of mids and highs, but just enough to where the lead starts to cut through the mix, but doesn't overpower the mix.

I've been working on my lead tone for a long time, and this seems to work the best, but another thing to point out, if your rhythm section sounds bad, then your lead will sound bad, every time.
there's so many different "good" lead tones in so many different genres (and a lot of different tones withing a single genre) that there really cant be a preset that is right or a "right" lead tone. it all depends on the song and what it calls for. sometimes you want the lead to blend in and be more complimentary while other times you want it to stand out a lot and be almost disconnected. sometimes you want it swimming in reverb and delay and sit way back in the mix while others you want it right up front screaming in your face.

think about what the lead guitar's role is in the song, then go from there to get your eq. if you're working with other guitarists, you really dont want to change their tone as an awful lot of guitarists are tone purists... if it's your work and you haven't found the "perfect" tone, just figure out where in the mix it needs to sit and what it needs to bring to the song and work from there.