Hi , a noob question here. Whats exactly ''cranking up'' an all tube amp ?
What's the effect of it ?
What must we do to the gain while the amp is '' cranked up ''
Using mesa single rectifier head.
Cranking up an amp = turning up the volume.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Cranked = turned up loud.

It pushes more signal into the power tubes, causing them to distort.

Gain is preamp distortion, generally, so you'll probably want to turn down the gain, so you don't have too much distortion fizzing (rectifiering) up your sound.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
what do I have to put up to crank the volume ?
The MASTER volume of the channel OR the OUTPUT volume ?
well if your amp is too low your tubes won't be fully on and can f*ck things up. how do you have a mesa single rec and not know jack shit about amps
Quote by cainmd
well if your amp is too low your tubes won't be fully on and can f*ck things up.

This isn't true at all.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I'm just asking whats making the tubes hotter, the output volume up or the master volume of the channel up ?
What do you mean by "hotter"? Physically hotter, or hotter sounding?
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
it means raising it up off the ground.

these guys are messing with you TS!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by cainmd
well if your amp is too low your tubes won't be fully on and can f*ck things up.s

Yeah, that's not true at all.

The tubes will get pysically hotter when you leave them turned on for ages, this isn't a bad thing, it'll make the amp sound better, all tubes die and need replacing in time.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I heard that when the tubes are physically hotter, the tone is better ?
Quote by xMax_X
I heard that when the tubes are physically hotter, the tone is better ?

This is true.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
ok, so to get the tubes to be hotter I have to turn up the output AND the master volume ? The two of them have an effect on the temperature of the tubes ?
Quote by gregs1020
it means raising it up off the ground.

these guys are messing with you TS!

+1

I've always heard this used to mean cranking up the jack your amp sits on. You guys do keep your amps on jacks, don't you? DON'T YOU?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I keep mine in the fridge.
Quote by cainmd
well if your amp is too low your tubes won't be fully on and can f*ck things up. how do you have a mesa single rec and not know jack shit about amps

oh the irony.

i think i've seen it all today

Cranking up an amp, as people have said, is just turning the volume up very loud so that you are running the power tubes at maximum amplitude (or beyond, for a very responsive distorted tone) as this will give you a better quality signal than running at lower volumes.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
guys. so helpful. good job. sheeeeeeeeeeesh.

op. both. gain dimed. master dimed. presence dimed. mids dimed. bass dimed. treble at noon.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by tubetime86
+1

I've always heard this used to mean cranking up the jack your amp sits on. You guys do keep your amps on jacks, don't you? DON'T YOU?

i do keep my orange/tweaker set up on a 3 guitar stand. it angles the sound up and keeps my neighbor below me from freaking if i turn it up a bit. srsly, not kidding. it's actually perfect for it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by AcousticMirror
guys. so helpful. good job. sheeeeeeeeeeesh.

op. both. gain dimed. master dimed. presence dimed. mids dimed. bass dimed. treble at noon.

treble at noon for any reason?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by cainmd

funniest thing i've heard all day...
Cranked typically means having the power section running at high levels with whatever level of preamp distortion (usually high) that you desire (if you can control them separately).

I generally run my 2204 with the Master at 6 - 10, or 1:00 to 5:00.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by tubetime86
+1

Actually, I am more of a fan of the British-style winch from ceiling method. It allows me to get higher highs, lower lows, and simply put; moar tonez
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."