#1
Sometimes when i'm not playing on my guitar/bass, I get some sort of shock from the strings when my arm touches them. It has happened with at least three different amps and on two different guitars.

I only get it on my upper arm or wrist when it touches the strings somewhere, it's only a very mild burning/tingling sensation but it can be quite painful and makes me jump quite a bit sometimes

Nothing life threatening (I hope), just wondering why this happens and if this happens to anyone else...
#2
is it a static shock from running feet across carpet?

if not, i'd get the outlet checked to see if its grounded properly. check both guitars to see if they're grounded (happened once where my guitars started shocking me too and the solder had melted away on both guitars because of a faulty outlet).

check out any pedals or other power sources (power bar, power supply for pedals, etc).
#3
Get a multimeter and measure the strings against a lamp or something metal. It should be 0V or close to it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#5
Do not treat this as trivial and it won't be static. You have an earthing problem and it may be the wiring in the building at fault or even more than one fault. You just should never get a shock like this and it means at least one of the systems that is there to stop you killing yourself has failed.

Read this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/this_article_may_save_your_life.html

Get a competent person to check out your gear and the house wiring (it may just be one socket) Buy yourself an RCD (GFCI) circuit breaker and use it. If it trips you have a problem but you will be safe.
#7
I had this same problem with using a certain outlet in my garage, and it really gets annoying after awhile. Have you tried other outlets?
#8
+1 to what most are saying, but depending on your amp model, you may have a ground lift switch, make sure that the grounding is NOT lifted if you do have one.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
#11
Quote by iamatadpole
It's happened with three amps and one was in a completely different house...

Unless you know what needs to be grounded and know how to attach all the proper connections to the grounding prong, take it into a tech. I'm afraid that's the end of the story right there man.... Sorry.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
#12
Quote by iamatadpole
It's happened with three amps and one was in a completely different house...

do you have braces? something is definitely f*cked up there.
3 amps-2 houses-multiple cables- different guitars....
it's gotta be you man or you're leaving an extension cord or plug strip out of the equation...

someting is not grounded & i'd hate to advise you to play in crocs...
#13
Unless you're playing guitar while soaking wet or licking the guitar strings, it's not going to kill you. Well, a 220V or 240V service might, depending on where you are.

I'd still get the problem examined, though, starting with the cables leading to the wall.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#14
tie a key to a kite and fly in while playing hendrix's cover of the SSB.

...****in coolest electrocution ever!

sorry, i didn't actually read the thread, but still...
#15
Actually 110V could kill you though you would have to be unlucky. It is about stopping the heart not about physically cooking you. Since you are in the UK you ought to consider the possibility that you might be killed if you do nothing.

There are all sorts of possibilities as to cause and they can't be checked out over the internet since the only real check is with a meter.

The mains socket tester is a good idea anyway. An RCD will keep you safe.

It would reassure us to know you've read this and taken some action. Some of us are genuinely worried.
#17
Quote by denied
It's not th voltage but the massive level of current that will kill him. High voltage just hurts like a bitch.

I'm pretty sure this has happened to me before.

Definitely. I've got a 10000 volt shock and it just hurts, its the current that kills you. There is enough current in a wall socket to kill though, so be careful.

Oh, and I'm just being pedantic, but electrocution = death, you just got a shock
#19
Get it deal with man; a friend of mine has spent the rest of his life in wheelchair because of faulty equipment. dont run the risk, ever.

take it to a shop and have it fixed. it might cost a bit, but, well, its that, ot being in danger =P
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
#20
Quote by denied
^Yeah exactly. A 110 or 240 volt shock is actually pretty mild...it's the fact that outlets carry quite a bit of current that's dangerous.

Unless you're soaking wet or have cuts all over your hands, your skin resistance is high enough that 110 or 240 will push **** all for current.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#22
Voltage is just a measure of the potential for current to flow. 1 million volts wouldn't kill you, if there's no current to carry, but 0.05A (or 50mA) will kill you. How scary is that?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
#23
It sounds like a grounding (or earthing as it is referred to in Europe) issue. Odd that it would happen in two different houses, but not impossible. If the house electrical isn't properly earthed and there is current present in the neutral, then this could be what you are experiencing. Very difficult to say though without being able to be there and test out some things. It would probably be worth looking into having your house electrical inspected.

The other possibility is that the equipment isn't properly grounded, which is a dangerous condition particularly in tube amps where high DC is present.

In regards to the discussion of voltage, it's true that voltage doesn't kill, but rather current does. Simply walking across a carpeted room can build up 40,000 volts of static charge on your body.
#24
Quote by iamatadpole
It's happened with three amps and one was in a completely different house...

Are you plugging the amp directly into the wall outlet or into a surge protector? My bandit did that when I first got it, then I bought a surge protector to plug it into and it help, but I did eventually have to replace the ground on it.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
#26
Quote by denied
Be my guest and go play with your electric socket

I do, for 10 hours per day every day, plus overtime.

347V on the other hand...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
#27
If it happened to you with 3 different amps and 2 different guitars, I think your power outlet is to be blamed (if you were using the same outlet all the times) you should get it checked out by a pro or something like that
#28
Quote by HellBoy9393
Voltage is just a measure of the potential for current to flow. 1 million volts wouldn't kill you, if there's no current to carry, but 0.05A (or 50mA) will kill you. How scary is that?

This man is correct. In reality, it's not the volts that kills you, it's the amps.

Quote by offthewall91
Are you plugging the amp directly into the wall outlet or into a surge protector? My bandit did that when I first got it, then I bought a surge protector to plug it into and it help, but I did eventually have to replace the ground on it.

And the speaker
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jul 24, 2010,