About a year ago, I "upgraded" from my Kustom Double Barrel Combo Amp to a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Combo. Seeing that I wasn't nearly as experienced as I am now (Not sure how to say that without sounding cocky, but you know what I mean), I didn't notice how annoyingly digital the Spider IV sounded when I first bought it. It's driving me off the wall now and I need to sell this piece of shit and get something that doesn't sound like a digital watch.

I mainly play 80s metal, classic rock, blues, and a lot of Paul Gilbert/Satch/Vai -ish syle stuff with some mellow clean tunes now and then. Based on what I play and the guitar I use (Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR), what are some amps I should take a look at and consider getting? My budget is around $600, so try to keep it in that price range. Thanks in advance!
fender blues deluxe or hot rod deluxe (the hot rod would need a ts9 or something for drive)
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
see if you can find a mesa mark ii or iii used for that money. they might do you best. if not, just go around and try out every amp in your price range (bugera's, blackheart, blackstar, fenders, etc).

others will definitely list the models, but they're hard to miss at that price. good luck buddy!
Glad you've grown out of the Spider. It's hard to recommend an amp without knowing what you need, though.

Live/band/bedroom use?
Location?
New or used?
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I would prefer new, but if I can't afford a new one then used may be a possibility. It will mainly be bedroom use, but I do jam with friends quite often. I gig every now and then for events and such, but I won't really be gigging until I have a decent band formed.
For bedroom use, I highly recommend the Egnater Tweaker. Incredibly versatile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaXJ85Am9w

And don't be fooled; 15W tube is enough volume to get over a drummer.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
15w tube would be enough for gigging even without a microphone system?

edit: and would you suggest the Head and Tweaker 112X Half Stack or the Combo amp? What's the difference? The half stack is 100 dollars more.
Last edited by BgOslicK at Jul 21, 2010,
If you like the amp modeling amps, try out the Peavey Vypyr tube amps. I said the same thing about my Line 6, I had my headphones on one night, it was like 3 am and I was like man this amp sucks ass! So I sold it and bought my Peavey Vypyr which sounds great and you get a great set of tones out of it.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
usually not, but i've only played a few shows (under 10) in my years of gigging where they LET us play without micing amps (and i've played somewhere in the 400 shows range).

the sound guys generally do not want people over control over their own amps. they want to be in full control of all the sounds to level it off in a way that no one person is overpowering and that somebody isn't heard. dont buy an amp thinking you'll be playing unmiced all the time. i've rarely seen it happen. and i always mic anyawy.
Quote by BgOslicK
15w tube would be enough for gigging even without a microphone system?

edit: and would you suggest the Head and Tweaker 112X Half Stack or the Combo amp? What's the difference? The half stack is 100 dollars more.

Depends on the gig. But 15W tube is deceptively loud.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
realistically, you're going to want to try every amp you can in the price range. seriously man, just play everything and anything you can. if you're lacking a little on the heavier side, ask to try an overdrive/distortion pedal.

that being said, my suggestions would be:
peavey - classic 30
bugera - 333xl, v22/55, and 6262
fender - blues jr, hot rod deluxe,
jet city amps - the 20 watt thing (not sure of its name)
blackstar - ht20
vox - ac15
egnater - tweaker, rebel
kustom - defender
traynor - the ycv series (all are very different, so try playing them all if they fall in your price range)

i've played all these amps first hand, and they're really damn good, especially for the price. like i said however, take your time and dont rush into purchases. play everything you can. also many of these amps are ones i want to buy (or wanted to buy just because of the sheer bang for your buck you get), but i'm a 19 year old going to university. i have no money to spend on these things unfortunately!

hope that list helped you!

(ps, i've also gigged with several of these amps and all have sounded good at practice and gig levels)
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 22, 2010,