Hi, which amp has the best overdrive.
Orange rocker/verb, Vox ac witha pedal (rat), plexi (rat), marshall dsl 401.
I dont need much gain.
I play oasis, jet, arctic monkeys, kasabian, stones, led zeppelin.....
i want to get a sound like jet-shes a genius or jet- black hearts on fire.
thx for help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_Cester

This has Nic's gear on it. Cameron uses Marshall and Orange amps. Are these the only amps you'll consider? Budget?
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
well a plexi has distortion...you crank it it to ge it break up.
after that I'd say...
rocker 30, ac30, dsl 401. That's if the ac30 is a newer one with a master volume.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
budget is 900€, ill buy 2nd hand. I read that the orange rocker sounds like a cranked marshall plexi. The guitar player of jet play vox ac ( i think only for clean), and old marshalls ( i think plexi and jcm 800).
JTM 45 = AC30 >>>> Rocker > DSL 401

The Plexi and Vox tie IMO because if I'd have to pick one it'd be an extremely difficult decision.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 21, 2010,
Get an AC30 with a mastervolume, that's if you're going to need some grit before ear exploding levels for bedroom or jazz practice
im really suprised, i read a thread here, and nearly all wrote to get a rocker instead of the vox.
If i would buy a vox, i would buy a cc2.
A jtm is expensive and i cant crank it. ok a dsl is shit ^^
I cant speak for the JTM, but it depends whats more important. Cleans or gain.

Ive abed the rocker and ac30 before. Rocker has the nicest thickest crunch, cleans are shitty, the ac30 has the nicest thickest cleans, nice crunch, but not as nice or as versatile as the rockers.

And get the ac30c2, ive heard the new ones are alot better in QC and come loaded with greenbacks.
best or most I guess.

The ac30 and the rocker have very different over drives. the ac30 stays pretty smooth. the rocker gets pretty crunchy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
jtm 45 + very good pedals gets my vote here. i don't really think of the rat as all that "low" gain though. it's just not what i'd pick for what you want to play.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
well if your goin for arctic monkeys and like vox look at the orange ad30, dual channel kinda vox but not exactly like it.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Overdrive is much more importand than clean for me.
I have a epi lp and an ibanez ts 10 if its importand.
if overdrive is more important than go for the rocker and use your volume knob for a good ole clean up
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

the dsl's are terribly overrated, why someone would compare one to any of the other amps listed i'll never understand. If you like the dsl, you'd probably be better off looking at a JCM 800. It will be bare bones, so to speak, and have very little features to it. But simplicity is deifnitely a good thing when it comes to the JCM 800.
Quote by beckyjc

The dsl sucks.

I own one. It sounds lovely.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by handbanana
the dsl's are terribly overrated, why someone would compare one to any of the other amps listed i'll never understand. If you like the dsl, you'd probably be better off looking at a JCM 800. It will be bare bones, so to speak, and have very little features to it. But simplicity is deifnitely a good thing when it comes to the JCM 800.

Doesn't Maiden and Jeff Beck use DSL's, if they do they sound pretty damn awesome.

But yeah, still gonna vote on AC30 + pedals
I have no idea, but the TSL is significantly better than the DSL from what I understand
I cant speak for the other DSLs.

Each to there own.

I hated the 401.

I cant believe theyre £600 now. They were £400 back when i tried one. My laney was £300 and sounded about 10 times better.

Orange AD30 is deffinately a good idea for you TS.

You should try em out, its a personal thing, both the rocker and ac30 would suit what you play great. But like AM said charceristically theyre quite different, The orange sounds more raw and dark, the vox is smoother and chimier, but still quite dark.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
I have no idea, but the TSL is significantly better than the DSL from what I understand

other way around bud
roland AC90

Quote by stykerwolf
Doesn't Maiden and Jeff Beck use DSL's, if they do they sound pretty damn awesome.

Maiden uses the vintage modern amps. And befor that JCM 800's and 900's, and befor that plexi's
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Ill try the vox ac 30, marshall plexi and the orange rockerverb in vienna.
They dont have the ad and the dont have the rocker, because orange doesnt produce the rocker anymore, so does the overdrive on the verb sound much different than on the ro ker without verb?
Quote by stykerwolf

Jeff Beck used them for about a year. I don't think he recorded anything with them. He went back to Plexis and small Fenders after that. Maiden used JMP preamps for most of the 90s and 800s before that. Not sure what they're using today but the latest rig pictures I've seen still have the JMP preamps in the rack. I've found that I can get a decent 90s Maiden tone out of the DSL heads though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Liam gallagher8
Ill try the vox ac 30, marshall plexi and the orange rockerverb in vienna.
They dont have the ad and the dont have the rocker, because orange doesnt produce the rocker anymore, so does the overdrive on the verb sound much different than on the ro ker without verb?

the tubes in the rocker are el34, the rockerverb 50 has 6v6, rockerverb 100 has el34 and the rockerverb mk2 has el34 so the overdrive will be slightly different on each rocker amp due to tubes, circuitry, head room, avialable eg, etc but i personally love the 6v6's overdriven. to me it kinda is an inbetween american and british which i like.
roland AC90

The R30 and R50/100 are pretty different, ive heard lots of people say they prefer the 30 over the rockerverbs. Ive not tried the rverb though.
plexi +good pedal = eargasm.

that is all.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^pretty much what gregs said, i would take a plexi over all those other ones with absolutely no hesitation.

elso about el34's they will have a more roaring overdrive than 6l6's, 6v6's, and el84's. Much more mid end roar.
The Orange AD30tch might be best for you TS. Or a Rocker 30 would be good, the cleans aren't bad, you just have to have a good guitar. The AC30c2 is the other amp I'd look at if I were you, it will have enough drive, they can get pretty overdriven.

You've got a good bunch of amps on your list, the best bet for you is just to try them.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
^^ The JTM 45 used KT66.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I havent enough money for a 2nd hand plexi, cab and a good od pedal.
In Klangfarbe in Vienna they have the rockerverb mk2, vox ac 30 and some plexis, i hope that they have pedals to try them too.
A Plexi must be loud to sound good?
I have to add that im 14, and play most of the time at home, but pretty loud. I play live too, but in small locations, so if i buy a head, ill take a 2x12 cab, maybe a Harley Benton with V30s.
How much are those marshalls plexis 2nd hand?
I think i could get a rocker for 600€, a vox ac also for around 600€.
And the newer rockerverb have el34, the rocker does too, so do they sound very different, maybe i could get a rockerverb 2nd hand not so expensive.
And what about JCM800. Is the rocker better?
With wchich amp could i get the best jet sound?
Last edited by Liam gallagher8 at Jul 22, 2010,