Page 1 of 2
Good Day!
Im looking for a small tube amp, one that i can crank and not break the house. I was thinking probably under 10 watts. It HAS to be tube. It will be my new practice amp, so it will have to do relatively clean, to something like Maiden without putting pedals in front of it. I have pedals to OD the heck out of it. But something maybe like SRV and Adrian Smith would use.
Thanks.
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
as long as you aren't looking for metal out of it.

pro jr.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
blackstar ht 5 is quite nice. Find some clips on youtube for an idea of its sounds/gain range
engl gigmaster?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
What about the Blackheart little giant? Does anyone have experience with it?
Blackstar HT-5. I'm getting mine soon, it's on its way.

It's only 5 watts so it'll be ideal for a practice amp, has GREAT tone, a headphone jack, and it loves pedals..
the blackhearts are good. Remember that under 10 watts is not going to have a lot of headroom. So if you want any sort of modern metal it might get muddy. But if you're only using it for practice, the little giant is nice as is the killer ant.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I love my Little Giant they sound much better than the HT-5.

Not to mention that it takes pedals really well... unlike the HT. The only thing you may need is a Dirt.

Also a 5 watt tube amp is about the same volume as a trumpet which is pretty loud, the head room is a great bedroom volume though.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ok, so if i get a blackheart little giant, do you think ill be able to do decentlly loud cleans on a Fender lace sensor (Gold) in the neck of my strat, but get that SRV tone when i crank it?
Seeing as your a Satch fan, try to find yoursefl one of those mini colossals. fantastic little amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
If cleans are a lot of what you are playing, I would look elsewhere than the HT-5. I had one, and really didn't like the cleans after a few months. I have been looking at the Egnater Tweaker as it has great cleans, and has some gain to it. Sounds fine at lower volumes too.

Just my 2 cents.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I tried the Fender Champion 600 5watt today at the local shop, i really like the tone, but theres no eq. I also plugged into the little blackheart, and really, really liked it because of the 3-5watt switch, and the eq. I put an OD in front of it and it still sounded great! Unfortunatly i couldnt crank it....
P.S. Im sure the Fender Champ is great, but im just too broke right now to drop that kind of cash on a practice amp. I Prefer under $400, but wont shoot down anything, KEEP EM COMING GUYS!
Vox AC4TV, great tone, has 1 band EQ, Attenuation 4w, 1w 1/10th w, only about £140. I have one and it is a beast of a practice amp, especially for the price.
Vox Night Train is a million times better than the AC4TV.
It's 15 watts, and you'll need a cab for it, but it's probably my favorite low wattage tube amp on the market right now, and it definitely has a lot more gain on tap than most other vox
Quote by silly hats
I love my Little Giant they sound much better than the HT-5.

Not to mention that it takes pedals really well... unlike the HT. The only thing you may need is a Dirt.

Also a 5 watt tube amp is about the same volume as a trumpet which is pretty loud, the head room is a great bedroom volume though.

Word. My amp is louder then a trumpet by far lol. Breaks up very very early though, around 4 actually
Quote by NobleT
Vox AC4TV, great tone, has 1 band EQ, Attenuation 4w, 1w 1/10th w, only about £140. I have one and it is a beast of a practice amp, especially for the price.

tone knob =/= EQ.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by stykerwolf
Word. My amp is louder then a trumpet by far lol. Breaks up very very early though, around 4 actually

I dunno man I can blast a trumpet, I'd actually be surprised if a small Blackheart could keep up. I could still play with decent tone too when I was goin really loud lol.

I could even keep up with the lo-gain channel cranked on my 60 watt Peavey, depending on the trumpet.
If a practice tube is all you need, then I highly recommend the Vox AC4TV. You will get good, usuable cleans in 4 watt mode and in 1/4 watt mode you can crank it without destroying anything and get good tube saturation. With an OD it would be even better. Check it out.

Also, another suggestion, check out the Palomino series by Crate.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Last edited by Peeno at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by BarbaricJethro
How does the Little Giant sound cranked?

great, but it would probably be the last amp i'd try for srv tone.

pro jr, try it with an od pedal.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Srv was slo user

almost. never integrated it into his rig.

motley crue on the other hand...
Quote by BarbaricJethro
Would the Pro Jr be too loud to crank in my bedroom?

not if you're alone in your house, but it might piss of the other residents if you crank it when they're home.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by fly135
The Pro Jr is only useful cranked. Get the SCXD. It's only $300.

where as the scxd is only good at lower volumes due to the stock speaker. that it's great at imo, but loud it gets farty.

i think the pro sounds fine at low volume and loves od pedals.
I rarely crank my SCXD because it sounds so good at reasonable volumes. But I use a 2x12 cab instead of the internal speaker if I want to hear it loud.

I've got a Pro Jr right here, but at the levels I play at I prefer using my Valve Jr head over the Pro Jr (as a head). IMO the Pro Jr just doesn't sound that great unless cranked. I put some 13's on a strat, tuned it down 1/2 step, and cranked it through the Pro Jr. Playing aside it was the closest to SRV tone of anything I've played through. But I couldn't handle the 13's.
Would the VOX AC4TV be loud enough to practice with a band/play with drummer? I'd like some more input on that little VOX, its cheap and from what i've heard it doesnt sound too bad fro the money.
Im also interested in dirty tones, ill be playing SRV tones to Maiden on it too.
Last edited by BarbaricJethro at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by BarbaricJethro
Would the VOX AC4TV be loud enough to practice with a band/play with drummer? I'd like some more input on that little VOX, its cheap and from what i've heard it doesnt sound too bad fro the money.
Im also interested in dirty tones, ill be playing SRV tones to Maiden on it too.

Vox is a practice amp for bedroom use only. unless you miced it up with a PA, then you won't be able to play with a band.

you need at leat 15-20 watts for live application and depending on how loud the rest of the band is, you might even need to go louder if you want crystal-clean cleans.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
What about hte Marshall Class 5? Ive heard it do some cleans and the marshall tone on youtube, is it loud? Ive read that it breaks up around 4, but if it gets decentlly loud at half volume, it should be the amp for me; great quality, great resale value, great tone. What do you guys think?
Quote by BarbaricJethro
What about hte Marshall Class 5? Ive heard it do some cleans and the marshall tone on youtube, is it loud? Ive read that it breaks up around 4, but if it gets decentlly loud at half volume, it should be the amp for me; great quality, great resale value, great tone. What do you guys think?
I think it's a pretty good amp. It isn't too expensive if you go used. Great for Classic Rock and Blues. Though it doesn't sound great cranked past 8. It doesn't sound bad, just not great.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by handbanana
Vox Night Train is a million times better than the AC4TV.
It's 15 watts, and you'll need a cab for it, but it's probably my favorite low wattage tube amp on the market right now, and it definitely has a lot more gain on tap than most other vox

I agree with most of this. Had a Night Train for a while and loved it. But for the price tag, there are better. For your styles, I'd check out the Egnater Tweaker. It's incredible versatile, sounds great, and is only $399.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaXJ85Am9w
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I've got a Crate RFX 65 as a practice amp right now (im selling it!) Would the class5 be nearly as loud?
is there no way for you to go to a store and crank some 5 watt amps?

that's the only way you will really know how loud they can get, and if it will be too loud for you.
with a full band? no. imo dont go below 20 watts to play over drums at normal live sound levels. not enough headroom, not enough power, especially if you need a clean sound. i really cant even get a 100% clean sound out my 20 watt. so anything less than that will be really overdriven. just too small.

i could imagine pushing a 5 watt through some decent speakers but still head room issue. anything less than 5. no. no change. i dont think it matters what cab.

no that over a full drum kit. in your dorm room or bedroom by yourself? heck yeah 5 watts is still loud as heck. probably loud enough for your nighbors at home to hear you the next house over if you crank it. if your in a dorm room your probably going to be on the 1/4watt - 1 watt setting. it will produce better grit at lower volumes and be more manageable.

thats the beauty of it. solid states are the same. with attenuators and volume controls you can control out the amp sounds but still keep teh volume at dorm room levels.
Page 1 of 2