Hi UG,

been a while since I've been on the forum, but doesn't hurt to give it another try

I've been re-attempting at recording some songs lately, as before, I was rather camera-shy.

All of them are recorded in single takes (dozens of takes, but no cutting ), panned my recorded track 30% to the left, original song 30% to the right. Also boosted the recording a bit, so it's a bit easier to hear my guitar playing in itself.

Harsh tone courtesy of this crappy Philips microphone I'm using. Might invest a bit in a decent mic if I keep recording, but I've got other priorities at the moment.

Decided to post all three of them at once and in the same thread, shouldn't flood UG with my crap, eh?

Youtube videos at:
Tool - Vicarious (lol, don't mind the shorts & wobbly leg, I suppose )
Tool - The Pot
Tool - Schism

Feel free to state your opinion on any of them, either through here or as a youtube comment.

Gear used:
ESP LTD M-1000, 9's, EMG81/81, 18V-mod
Peavey JSX, mostly crunch channel
Boss GT-10 (4-cable method, mainly used for compression, EQ and delay)

Also, as usual, I can also state my opinion on your recordings Feel free to post a link or something.

Greetings,
Sander

PS: thank god I kicked out my AVT275X
Last edited by sanderd at Jul 21, 2010,
you kinda look like dom howard, oh and on topic, yes your shorts look cool
one day you will wish you had done a little evil, for a greater good
@bdaddy89: lolwut? Thanks for the compliment, he's not a total asswad so I'm alright with that Sorry for the wobbly leg, it's worst in Vicarious, managed to calm it down in the other two.

@drummz11: the shorts or the recordings? ^^ Thanks!

(while technically you can't "bump" according to the rules, meh... it was still positioned first in the forum list, so no biggie?)

edit: bedtime now, job interview tomorrow. I'll be back later tomorrow to supply some C4C if you wish
Last edited by sanderd at Jul 21, 2010,
lol Honestly, they're both awesome. The recordings were great and the shorts just added to the overall presence and atmosphere!
haha no prob, but honestly, i watched vicarious. and good job. i liked it i didnt watch the others cause them being tool, they are long, and i had to head over to my friends house, but yeah. 10 thumbs up!
one day you will wish you had done a little evil, for a greater good
hey dude,

im kinda new to recording things and stuff so i looked around on the forums to see whats going on ... whatever, i landed here and watched your vids, because i cover tool a lot and was interested how well other people perform

as a "newb" i'd say that your recordings (with your mic and stuff ) sound good, but u need to add some more distortion and more depth/bass to your sound in my oppinion. personally i run my amp on a high gain setting cause i do not own one of those mxr micro amps that adam jones uses (mostly). tool's guitar sound needs to punch right into the face

whatever, u want some critics on your guitar playing right?

your technique is fine i guess, minor mistake on schism, but its a tricky song with all those tripplets and stuff, needs some time be perfect on that one, but was well played overall.
on vicarious u should look at the intro riff again, all notes are palm muted except 5th and 7th on the g string.
i didnt watch the pot, so i cant tell u anything to that part.

just my two cents, i guess u are doing fine! keep it up ...
- Again a quick reply -

@inFact:

Thanks for the motivation on your triplets.

On the recording & tone part:
I think the dynamics of this microphone just aren't able to pick up bass clearly on a higher volume. Since I'm using a tube amp on half power, on 1/10th the volume, it tends to get a bit muddy as well.
*Meh, needs decent mic*

I think you're right on the 'gain' part in a way that, if I'd be able to crank the amp, it'd sound a lot 'fuller'.
Then again, ever since I've started playing Tool on this 'lower gain' (had much higher gain before), I tended to like my sound a lot more, and it made my playing less 'artificial'.

Playing:
I've always known there was something wrong with my Vicarious intro riff. Bastardized the whole thing after playing it too much Exactly.

If you've ever managed to record anything, be sure to let me know! Kinda interested

edit 24/07 (reaction to next few posts, no bumping ^^):
@Zed45: De gustibus non est disputandum
@inFact:
Actually learned the riffs of right in two last week, but haven't got the time to memorize the song structure yet. Learning Jambi now, and I'm feeling dizzy

@TheAscendant: I'll definitely watch them in a couple of hours, need to fix some things here first. I'll give you some feedback in PM or profile comment or something, then

Thanks for the critique.

Vicarious could indeed be played a lot 'smoother', definitely partly because I tensed up because of the recording. Will probably re-record this at some part.

Schism: oddly, I only learnt playing schism a few days before I recorded it! I've known Vicarious & The Pot for like... 2 years now. Thanks! Great to hear.

The Pot: definitely something wrong with my timing in some parts >.> you're right
Last edited by sanderd at Jul 24, 2010,
On the recording & tone part:
I think the dynamics of this microphone just aren't able to pick up bass clearly on a higher volume. Since I'm using a tube amp on half power, on 1/10th the volume, it tends to get a bit muddy as well.
*Meh, needs decent mic*

as is said, i dont know how effective recording works, was just my oppinion about what i heard and what it should be ... nevermind

I think you're right on the 'gain' part in a way that, if I'd be able to crank the amp, it'd sound a lot 'fuller'.
Then again, ever since I've started playing Tool on this 'lower gain' (had much higher gain before), I tended to like my sound a lot more, and it made my playing less 'artificial'.

sure, everyone has his own approach on how to play and its important for every player to have his own style. mine is just different, i try to play like adam actually does. were both fine with our ways huh?

Playing:
I've always known there was something wrong with my Vicarious intro riff. Bastardized the whole thing after playing it too much Exactly.

yea i know what ya mean i have my own habbits even if i know that this part is not 100 % correct for example the bridge part @ "the pot" ... its done with pull-offs like adam does it in "jambi" at the beginning, but i'm too lazy to learn it the right way

when i start to record something i'll post it here for sure, but i'm at the very beginnng (lineOut amp -> lineIn pc sucks so i was looking here to find some help ) and have to improve a lot.

u should really try "right in two", its a veeeery beautiful song and easy to learn. was my first tool song. have fun buddy!
Last edited by inFact at Jul 23, 2010,
Hae dude,

Not a bad cover of Vicarious eh?
If you worked on being more fluid that would add to the whole song and the way you play it but that all comes with practice....

Schism...Hell Yeah!
Your timing for this masterpiece was totally awesome, one F*** Up but seriously man,
you owned that song, Doomed to crumble unless we grow, great to hear 8)

The Pot...mmm...
Well, seeing as this aint a personal favourite tool song of mine, i'll try not to get personal,
i think you got it man, sounded sweet to listen too, but just keep practicing it as there is still some work you can do on it....

You like Tool?

My Tool Covers:

Vicarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9YsN1nCMI

Prison Sex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL8g04PZ-TQ&feature=channel

Cheers Dude,
TheAscendant
Hey man, thanks for the link to the Gilmore backing tracks. That will be put to great use!!!

I listened to Schism first and you really blew me away. That was awesome! The other two were great as well. I've never seen such good Tool covers. You even nailed the way Adam uses feedback before he plays certain riffs.

Feel free to check out the songs in my profile and let me know what you think. I just put up a Zeppelin cover, and I have a Satriani cover too.

Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.