Hi all, I am looking for a tube guitar amp for playing rock (AC DC, Randy Rhoads, Slash...) and I need some help picking one. Some things to consider:
1. my budget is around $950 maybe a bit more if its really good.
2. I'm going to be playing it with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus top
3. I do not have a cab (unless my home speakers would work, but i doubt it would sound good, but in case they might their pretty good Technic speakers) so consider this if you recommend a guitar amp head, that I will need to buy a cab in my budget and please tell me what kind of cab will sound good with the head.
4. I looking for something low watt, for mostly home play and maybe some very small gigs (below 30 watts, unless it has a wattage amount selector)
5. I want something with good tone but also something reliable, and something that will last (unlike my bugera v22 which last like 2 months)
6. Id prefer a combo
7. Need a master volume

If there is any other information you need to know to help please let me know cause this is a lot of money im going to spend and its a very hard decision.

P.S. Ive also went to store to try some amps first hand but my local stores dont have all the amp.
Last edited by acdcthunder178 at Jul 22, 2010,
I recently decided if I was ever going to get a lower gain rock amp it would hands down be the Vox Night Train.

I'm not really a vox guy per say, but I recently played one and fell in love with it. Actually has more than enough gain on board. With a master volume. Doesn't have a lot of features thought. It's 15 amps, and can be lowered to 7.5 if need be.

And they only go for $500 new! I would say get this head, sell your epiphone for liek $300, and use the remaining $700 to buy a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Then you'll have an awesome rig.
Quote by AcousticMirror
how many channels you need.

Channel amount doesn't matter, but it would be cool if it had a clean and gain channel esspecially if they were foot switchable.
Quote by handbanana
I recently decided if I was ever going to get a lower gain rock amp it would hands down be the Vox Night Train.

I'm not really a vox guy per say, but I recently played one and fell in love with it. Actually has more than enough gain on board. With a master volume. Doesn't have a lot of features thought. It's 15 amps, and can be lowered to 7.5 if need be.

And they only go for $500 new! I would say get this head, sell your epiphone for liek $300, and use the remaining $700 to buy a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Then you'll have an awesome rig.

Your forgetting ill need a cab, and my epiphone is just fine, it sound great.
Channel amount doesn't matter, but it would be cool if it had a clean and gain channel esspecially if they were foot switchable.
Quote by handbanana

Your forgetting ill need a cab, and my epiphone is just fine, it sound great.
fair enough, don't know why you posted it twice, i doubt it was an error cause they were posted an hour apart
Quote by handbanana
fair enough, don't know why you posted it twice, i doubt it was an error cause they were posted an hour apart

sorry this is my first time using this forum and i though there is a difference between quoting someone elses message and replying to it.

oh and btw what cab should i buy with the night train?
Last edited by acdcthunder178 at Jul 21, 2010,
how big of a cab do you want? 4x12, 2x12, 1x10 etc etc.

I would look at an avatar cab. They custom make cabs for pretty damn cheap and are of good quality.

I don't know how good the stock vox cab is, it might be awesome for all I know.

marshall jcm cabs, and mesa recto cabs also sound awesome for the most part.

just don't get a cheap cab.
egnater is making exactly what you want. mutiple channels, attenuators, quality, offer 2-3 options under 1000 (tweaker 15, rebel 20 and rebel 30). spend the rest on a cab so the total is 1000 or under.

a 700 dollar studio will be a negligible difference over your current epiphone. the biggest difference is that people will see gibson on the headstock. an amp is a far better purchase.

differences between studios and nice epiphones are so small that individual EQ and guitar settings will negate any real differences in sound between the two.

actually my epi les custom plays better than most studios ive picked up. and actually some studios ive picked up had sub standard parts (poorly filed nut slots for example). considering studios are 1.5 x the price, i think they are bad guitars. not impressed. not totally bad, but comared to other guitars in the 800-1000 range i think they are really poor choices.
Thnx for your reply!

I was actually looking at the egnater Rebel 30 but the video's of it on youtube dont make it look very good so I kina put it aside. I guess im gonna have to find a store that carries them and try it for my self.
Do you still have you Bugera? If so, I would get a something like a Mesa Transatlantic and just plug the head into the Bugera combo speaker. Get a good cab later.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Do you still have you Bugera? If so, I would get a something like a Mesa Transatlantic and just plug the head into the Bugera combo speaker. Get a good cab later.

No I dont still have the bugera but i can use my home speakers, my uncle is computer guy and he says that their really good speaker.
Do you think i could use it with them?
probably not.

guitar cab speakers are made just for guitar cabs and nothing else. any other kind of speakers will not sound as good