i recently got home a 2x12 guitar cabinet by Avatar Speakers loaded with two Celestion G12K-100s. got it in, plugged it in (amp is a Vox AD100VTH), and it sounds absolutely terrible.

with the gain wide open and the amp cranked the tone is muddy, messing with the EQ does sweet feck all, and i don't know why. i had to put the treble and mids at 10 to get any sort of mid response from this cab.

the problem is that there are so many differing opinions about these particular speakers around the Web that knowing them all is paralyzing, and i vacillated for days on end trying to figure out what to order. however, i keep reading reviews for these speakers that say stuff like "wonderful tweak, reacts well to eq changes, loves the high gain stuff". in the end, did i just get duped, or am i missing something?

i can deal with buying another speaker, maybe a Vintage 30 to help out the absolutely TERRIBLE mid-range i'm getting, but i'd like to know if i'm missing something here first. i screwed with the Presence setting a tad but it didn't help any, and no setting on my amp or guitar seems able to break through the absolutely terrible muddy wall of sound i'm getting. help, please!!
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Last edited by RPExecutor at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by RPExecutor
i recently got home a 2x12 guitar cabinet by Avatar Speakers loaded with two Celestion G12K-100s. got it in, plugged it in (amp is a Vox AD100VTH), and it sounds absolutely terrible.

with the gain wide open and the amp cranked the tone is muddy, messing with the EQ does sweet feck all, and i don't know why. i had to put the treble and mids at 10 to get any sort of mid response from this cab.

the problem is that there are so many differing opinions about these particular speakers around the Web that knowing them all is paralyzing, and i vacillated for days on end trying to figure out what to order. however, i keep reading reviews for these speakers that say stuff like "wonderful tweak, reacts well to eq changes, loves the high gain stuff". in the end, did i just get duped, or am i missing something?

i can deal with buying another speaker, maybe a Vintage 30 to help out the absolutely TERRIBLE mid-range i'm getting, but i'd like to know if i'm missing something here first. i screwed with the Presence setting a tad but it didn't help any, and no setting on my amp or guitar seems able to break through the absolutely terrible muddy wall of sound i'm getting. help, please!!

thats why
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Perhaps you should try before you buy, get peoples opinions, buy well known products and check reviews online :P!
it's time for a new amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Skagasm
thats why

hm, really? i did assume that the amp could be a probable cause, but i have been using it for the past year and a half with some old speakers i found in a sound system, and it sounds pretty good, all things considered... certainly better than it's sounding now.

Quote by zakarai
Perhaps you should try before you buy, get peoples opinions, buy well known products and check reviews online :P!

i did go through quite a bit of review before deciding to order; thus my noting that the amount of differing opinions around the net is paralyzing.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Last edited by RPExecutor at Jul 21, 2010,
alright well. the g12k-100s aren't bad speakers by any means but they aren't top of the line for celestion.

I'm sure the cab itself is fine. I've never used the g12k-100s but if you found good reviews of them on the net and stuff then I'm sure they are fine speakers.

I'm assuming they are new? They will need about 20-30 hours to break in properly before they start sounding quite like the should. New speakers will be stiff.

But, a better cab and better speakers is going to bring out the limitations of your amp a lot more.
A lot of its shortcoming would have been masked by the other speakers you were using.

Quote by zakarai

You can't try an Avatar cab before you buy it. They do online orders. They're well known and high quality, with a lot of great reviews.

I'd say it's something to do with your amp.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by AcousticMirror
alright well. the g12k-100s aren't bad speakers by any means but they aren't top of the line for celestion.

I'm sure the cab itself is fine. I've never used the g12k-100s but if you found good reviews of them on the net and stuff then I'm sure they are fine speakers.

I'm assuming they are new? They will need about 20-30 hours to break in properly before they start sounding quite like the should. New speakers will be stiff.

i thought so too, but then i found good reviews for my amp as well and i'm only now just learning of all this...

But, a better cab and better speakers is going to bring out the limitations of your amp a lot more.
A lot of its shortcoming would have been masked by the other speakers you were using.

this confuses the hell out of me, but i suspect you are right... it just seems weird that a bad amp with bad speakers can sound better than a bad amp with good speakers!
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Matched your impedances correctly? Using a speaker cable to connect the head and cab and not a patch cord? You said you had been running

What the hell's wrong with the VTH? Unless I'm wrong and VTH doesn't stand for ValveTronix Head, it should be fine. As far as modelling amps go, the Vox's are actually decent sounding. Sounds fishy.
^Does sound probable. The stock speakers will probably be pretty flat EQ wise to work well with all the models in the amp.

Same with the stereo speakers you were using.

I know the G12k100s have pretty huge low end, well defined low mids, and not much in the high end, theyre good for stuff like matamp and orange amps when you want to retain their dark character, deffinately wouldnt want to use them for shred or whatnot.

Give them a chance to break in, if you still dont like it swap one of them out for something more toppy, V30 would be a good idea, a good balance, they have more upper mid range and treble.
celestion blues man
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by beckyjc
^Does sound probable. The stock speakers will probably be pretty flat EQ wise to work well with all the models in the amp.

Same with the stereo speakers you were using.

this sounds more plausible. thanks for explaining a bit more.

having a sub-par amp i can deal with; it is an inexpensive modeler after all and i will be looking for a new one eventually. finding out that i bought the wrong speakers after weeks of waffling however would just be... ugh
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Your best bet really would be to swap one for a Vintage 30. You get the cut of the upper mids (V30) with the chunk of the lower mids (K100).

Put it up on Craigslist and you could probably do a straight trade.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
dw, you didn't buy the 'wrong' speakers - break them in nicely, and they should sound a little better, and then you can keep using them or go back to your stereo speakers and when you get yerself a nice little valve head stick it in with this cab and it'll work a treat!
Also, pics plz??
I would very much like to see what kind of custom Avatar cab you got.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
dw, you didn't buy the 'wrong' speakers - break them in nicely, and they should sound a little better, and then you can keep using them or go back to your stereo speakers and when you get yerself a nice little valve head stick it in with this cab and it'll work a treat!
Also, pics plz??

+1 I think you got the right speakers. Those speakers aren't bad. Once you get a tube amp I think you'll like it alot. The vt series was just never really meant to be cranked with the gain dimed.

oh waits!!! - Since you got new speakers you have to redo all your presets. Things that sounded good to you before won't sound good now because the speaker response has changed. You need to go and relearn how your amp sounds. Can't believe I didn't think of that b4.

@SAS. I've got a thread coming that's going to blow yo mind.

mass PRS NGD pl0x? And before the 26th, I'm going away on that day...

on that note I have some boutique pedal win coming to me for free in the next few days... if you follow chappers on youtube you'll know what I'm talking about

EDIT:

just to make this relevant AM is right - try fiddling with/redoing all of your presets to work with the new speakers.
i have tried messing with the settings a fair bit, but even with mids and treble maxed it's extremely hard to get anything to cut through the mud. i think you guys are probably right though, and i'll probably mess with the thing for a couple more days before i decide to junk my amp just yet, lol.

and those asking for pics, i can try and get some up within the next couple hours if you want it's nothing special, just black tolex with an oxblood grill, but the cab itself is really very nicely constructed.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑